Microsoft Dismisses Rumor of Disk-less $399 Xbox One

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The rumor that Microsoft was getting ready to market a disk-less Xbox One with a reduced price is just that so far, only a rumor. Without making a formal statement, Microsoft utilized Twitter for a non-denial denial saying “not to believe everything you read on the Internet”. ;)

Still, Microsoft is reportedly seeking legal action against the anonymous NeoGAF leaker, which would imply some validity to the claims.

That statement from the quote isn't entirely true. They could just be suing for spreading false information that could impact their shares.

Any type of rumor that spreads like wild fire can cause people to drop shares or start buying them up till they realize the rumors aren't true then start to sell them off.

The Xbone is supposed to be "One device to rule the living room" according to MS, if they cut the Blue ray player they'd be inviting either the PS3 or the PS4 into the living room instead.
Honestly the PS3 isn't too bad as a living room media center, I even set up a file server on a Vista machine for my cousin so he could stream his movies and audio over to the tv wirelessly.

Removing the Kinect would be a more effective way to reduce price without cutting into profit margins. Considering the spec differences between the PS4 and XB1 the Kinect increases cost of the XB1 by at least $100, probably more given that the XB1 CPU and GPU are also spec slashed compared to PS4.

The Xbone is supposed to be "One device to rule the living room" according to MS, if they cut the Blue ray player they'd be inviting either the PS3 or the PS4 into the living room instead.
Honestly the PS3 isn't too bad as a living room media center, I even set up a file server on a Vista machine for my cousin so he could stream his movies and audio over to the tv wirelessly.

If this is / was true you guys keep overlooking the fact that you don't have to buy this version if you want the drive. There are some people out there that want all digital movies and games and will never use that drive for the life of their system. For those guys they could buy this version if one ever came out. For the rest of the people that want to buy games on disc or use their system for playing movies, they buy the one with the drive.

Removing the Kinect would be a more effective way to reduce price without cutting into profit margins.

EZxsbv0.jpg

"But but but then developerz wont developz gaymes for kinex"

Newsflash: Developers aren't developing games for Kinect ANYWAY

Removing the Kinect would be a more effective way to reduce price without cutting into profit margins. Considering the spec differences between the PS4 and XB1 the Kinect increases cost of the XB1 by at least $100, probably more given that the XB1 CPU and GPU are also spec slashed compared to PS4.

EZxsbv0.jpg

"But but but then developerz wont developz gaymes for kinex"

Newsflash: Developers aren't developing games for Kinect ANYWAY

Sony does not have to pay Sony for blu ray license fees. This means they get the blu ray capabilities cheaper. Second the Xbox one CPU was estimated to be $10 more expensive than the PS4 CPU. I can forgive niconx because perhaps he didn't keep up but we all know very well DPI knows every bit of this information and still trolls with his anti Kinect hate. The Kinect addition is estimated to be $75 not more than $100. It does not account for the whole price difference.

Losing the drive isn't going to justify the price drop. Face it, the drive unit isn't $100. A stand alone non-Sony blu-ray player isn't even $100 now so the idea that the lack of the drive unit and licensing fees would equate a $100 drop in price is absurd.

microsoft does not comment on rumors and speculation

That is what the PR people say 99% of the time . They said somthing else fake or it was canned.

I'm waiting to buy to see which console makes a better blue ray / media player. If MS offered a diskless option, it would tell me that they intended to drop support eventually, and would essentially make my decision to buy a P'S.

Losing the drive isn't going to justify the price drop. Face it, the drive unit isn't $100. A stand alone non-Sony blu-ray player isn't even $100 now so the idea that the lack of the drive unit and licensing fees would equate a $100 drop in price is absurd.
Perhaps not, but what would account for the price difference is the increased profit Microsoft would realize from a customer buying games exclusively via digital download. Apart from the occasional sale, downloaded games sell for the same price as those bought at retail but Microsoft gets to keep the retail markup, only paying for the bandwidth to transfer and not paying for disc production and shipping.

A disc-less Xbox One would be full of win for Microsoft, assuming people bought them of course.

If this is / was true you guys keep overlooking the fact that you don't have to buy this version if you want the drive. There are some people out there that want all digital movies and games and will never use that drive for the life of their system. For those guys they could buy this version if one ever came out. For the rest of the people that want to buy games on disc or use their system for playing movies, they buy the one with the drive.

It will likely come at some point but not right now. Bandwidth is still too restrictive and it's way too easy to blow out your limit. Just wait until Comcast rolls out their 300gb limit nationwide, you are going to think twice before you download a 40gb game or two.

Back