Microsoft Giving GPU Power A Boost

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Microsoft is freeing up some of the Xbox One's GPU horsepower in order to give the console a bit of a performance boost.

News from gaming insider Pete Doss is that Microsoft is mulling significant changes to the restrictions it places on developers regarding the Xbox One's GPU. Reportedly, some 10% of total GPU horsepower is reserved for the Kinect -- 8% for video and 2% for voice processing. Microsoft is apparently planning changes that would free up that 8% video entirely, leaving just 2% of the system's GPU dedicated to voice input.

think they should have probably left at least a little more set aside for video, but does sound good that they are going to remove some of the restrictions for reserved resources

Isn't something like 25% of the system reserved for the OS, and another 10% reserved for some other processes (maybe that was kinnect)? I was under the impression out of the gate, they were reserving a rather large chunk for non-gaming stuff.. they should release a lot of that back and really open up the cloud processing to offload the trivial tasks or those that can be buffered and are not needed for real-time processing.

This is why you don't use a low-end GPU with DDR3 for a game console that's meant to last 5+ years.

Isn't something like 25% of the system reserved for the OS, and another 10% reserved for some other processes (maybe that was kinnect)? I was under the impression out of the gate, they were reserving a rather large chunk for non-gaming stuff.. they should release a lot of that back and really open up the cloud processing to offload the trivial tasks or those that can be buffered and are not needed for real-time processing.

Remember though everyone crying when you suggest that a console should have an internet connection. which means no more cloud processing or anything.

Prolly shouldn't of used such a shit GPU in the 1st place.
It didn't matter. Microsoft roped in their audience with the 360 (Sony obviously screwed up on price and online service) so they didn't need to have superior hardware to get people to buy the next generation MS hardware. Microsoft did so good that XB1 users even defend Microsoft's XB1 hardware decision. That thing has to last 5-6 more years!

As game engines grow more complicated, the PS4 will have much more room for compromise than the XB1 will have.

What kind of performance boost is XB1 (eight Jaguar cores) over the 360 (three PowerPC cores)?

I dont comprehend why they cant have multiple gpu enhancements over the life of a console. first gen does 720 at 30fps, second gen does 1080 at 60 fps, 3rd gen does stereoscopic, etc.

Same core, instruction sets, etc, just faster processing and higher framerate and resolution potentials.

I dont comprehend why they cant have multiple gpu enhancements over the life of a console. first gen does 720 at 30fps, second gen does 1080 at 60 fps, 3rd gen does stereoscopic, etc.

Same core, instruction sets, etc, just faster processing and higher framerate and resolution potentials.

Then you get people whining that their experience isn't the same as their friend down the street. Especially an issue with online multiplayer and the 30fps and 60fps limitations.

Console people would riot in the streets.

The point of a console is one unified experience. What you are listing there isn't unified. That completely goes against the point of system. Otherwise people would need to upgrade every time a new revision comes out to play new games.

If you want that, then get a pc and stay with the pc, consoles aren't meant for you.

MS stated something similar before the Xbone launch. This announcement wasn't really unexpected.

If the game doesn't use Kinect, the OS doesn't reserve a portion of the GPU for unneeded Kinect processing. If the game uses Kinect, then that 8% is reserved.

they should release a lot of that back and really open up the cloud processing to offload the trivial tasks or those that can be buffered and are not needed for real-time processing.

I honestly cannot believe there are people that buy the "cloud processing" gimmick as anything more than a made up marketing term and a smokescreen. Did you honestly believe they were going to "co-process" a realtime game with the magical cloud? REALLY?

8% is not going to matter much you are still looking basically a 7790 vs a 7850
Still looking as an OS written by Sony and an OS written by microsoft, how many patches does sony release just to fix their previous patch which bricked someone's ps3?

Either way both systems do this, they reserve much more then they need and as they optimized and feel comfortable they give up more space/power.

I used to love the 1st xbox and xbox 360. (pre don mattrick screwing it up and kinect crap)
It was the console platform I bought games on 1st over the ps2/ps3 or gamecube.

The new xbox sucks so hard I do not want any over it. it is huge needs a big ass power brick. has kinect crap I dont want the contoler sucks more than the xbox 360 or rhe new ps4 controler.

OHHHH AND it is the most ugly ass mainstream console I have ever seen in my life and I have seen them all.

Oh and all the game are the same crap i got on the xbox 360 and they all look like xbox 360 games still. i played this thing for a few hours and I did not care or was wowed in anyway they look like xbox 360 games or old ass pc games from 2008 at best.

Dont want the thing I can get a ps4 and wii U for less and play most games on my PC better anyway.

This is the most useless console I have seen the ps4 and xbox one are the same hardware but one is faster and cost $100 less they have almost the same games and Microsoft only has Halo that I care about so who cares? If its going to be like this that one console future sounds liek a good idea now. They are not even console anymore really just slow ass pcs stuffed in a box called a console.

I just could care less about any of the new consoles none has wowed me but I bought a ps4 out of it because it had more power and was $100. I expect the xbox one to get its ass handed to it by the ps4 everytime so I would get games on it even if I had both consoles or the PC anyway.

The point of a console is one unified experience. What you are listing there isn't unified. That completely goes against the point of system. Otherwise people would need to upgrade every time a new revision comes out to play new games.

If you want that, then get a pc and stay with the pc, consoles aren't meant for you.

No, I get what he means, and it makes sense, buff more AA, more effects, resolution, if it detects xbox 2.2 instead of the 2.0. but ALL games MUST work on any version 2.

then 8 years later the new generation starts at 3.0.

How hard would it be to gut the Kinect and drop the price for $100? Hell, I'd even let you replace that $100 with the same AMD chip with 50% more Steam processors that Sony is using and be ok at the same $500 price.

Don't know how Microsoft saw this and didn't see a eventual problem that will only get worse. You know they knew exactly what Sony was doing over a year ago.

How hard would it be to gut the Kinect and drop the price for $100? Hell, I'd even let you replace that $100 with the same AMD chip with 50% more Steam processors that Sony is using and be ok at the same $500 price.

Don't know how Microsoft saw this and didn't see a eventual problem that will only get worse. You know they knew exactly what Sony was doing over a year ago.
typical [H] only seeing the hardware, Microsoft is looking at software and service.

typical [H] only seeing the hardware, Microsoft is looking at software and service.

Seriously every time its take out Kinect take out the Wii U gamepad. You know what you get then? The PlayStation camera a truly useless unsupported POS. These systems don't even cost that much compared to any given PC part.

They are freeing up resources that they said hey would and both systems still have some software tweaks needed

Both have room to improve on their GPU driver from what's been said and their OS's.

I know the Xbox one definitely has a memory leak when left on you have to restart it every so often otherwise random weirdness occurs.

Hopefully the freeing up of resources brings up at least minimum frame rates like in tomb raider. We all know even a boost in minimum frame rate from below 30fps to no less than 30 is good.

No, I get what he means, and it makes sense, buff more AA, more effects, resolution, if it detects xbox 2.2 instead of the 2.0. but ALL games MUST work on any version 2.

then 8 years later the new generation starts at 3.0.

That makes the development much more complex and again gets away from the heart of a console. Developers only have to develop for 1 spec. If you have to start having a new version every year soon you end up with 5+ different versions of the console. You have to make the game work for the worst version, then go through and add features and optimize for every other hardware version based on what you are saying. if you have rev 2 then enable this, if you have rev 3 then enable this.... without testing they won't know exactly what rev 2 can support all the way through compared to rev 1, same for rev 3.

When it comes to a pc game, you develop a game and that is that. It is up to the person to select what is the best settings for them. If their system can't handle something then they change settings.

Consoles are not pcs, you (the consumer) can't just swap out a video card or cpu. You know when you buy it that you are basically stuck with the hardware that it comes with. That said I do think that the xbox 360 did get a slight cpu and gpu upgrade there toward the end but nothing drastic. Normally the only upgrades that hit are hard drive sizes. I expect that come rev 2 or 3 of the hardware for both systems instead of these small 500GB hard drives they will start coming with 1-2TB hard drives.

IMO complaining about how consoles are designed instead of just buying a pc and sticking with pc if you are against console gaming so much is like complaining how one brand of soda doesn't taste more like another brand instead of tasting how it does. Or complaining that cars aren't all 27 feet long, with a back end that looks like a trailer and can hold an entire house worth of content just like a moving van because that would make more sense if all cars were just built like that for when you have to move. Consoles are aimed at one type of group, pcs are aimed at another. The two can cross, but if you don't like one then don't play games on it.

Hell, I'd even let you replace that $100 with the same AMD chip with 50% more Steam processors that Sony is using and be ok at the same $500 price.

Steam processors are great at accelerating Steam purchases, I didn't realize Sony had special hardware for that?!

The whole point of a console is to keep the hardware the same but only move the price down slowly, that way 2 years in they are making money and 4 years in they are unloading money from dump trucks. If they upgrade the console every so often then they have to charge more at the start and that slows down the hype needed to lock people into a closed platform.

This is why I'm planning on updating the pc over a new console. There's zero justification in buying either sony's ps4 or microsofts xbox one.

Seriously every time its take out Kinect take out the Wii U gamepad. You know what you get then? The PlayStation camera a truly useless unsupported POS. These systems don't even cost that much compared to any given PC part. /QUOTE]

The kinect camera is estimated at $75 cost, and I have yet to see any AAA games that justify its use.

The WiiU gamepad, even for first party titles, is largely unused. The new DKCU title has no added features on the gamepad, not even a map or info screen.

So you can pay extra for a piece of hardware that isn't utilized or you can not, pay less even and get better performance for what matters.

Aside from voice commands, every other advertised feature of the xbone is already done by built-in features of whatever Cable/Sat/Fiber service you have, or better done on an off-screen device (such as a tablet).

Seriously every time its take out Kinect take out the Wii U gamepad. You know what you get then? The PlayStation camera a truly useless unsupported POS. These systems don't even cost that much compared to any given PC part. /QUOTE]

The kinect camera is estimated at $75 cost, and I have yet to see any AAA games that justify its use.

The WiiU gamepad, even for first party titles, is largely unused. The new DKCU title has no added features on the gamepad, not even a map or info screen.

So you can pay extra for a piece of hardware that isn't utilized or you can not, pay less even and get better performance for what matters.

Aside from voice commands, every other advertised feature of the xbone is already done by built-in features of whatever Cable/Sat/Fiber service you have, or better done on an off-screen device (such as a tablet).

The Wii U gamepad is used all the time by actual Wii U owners.

Biggest feature off screen play of both Wii U , Wii and Eshop/virtual shop games not even counting the off screen use of a really good web browser and Netflix YouTube etch.

Every damn time this crap gets brought up people who obviously don't own one have something to say.

Why are people complaining about hardware performance and specs on a console?
You buy the console for the experience, the game library and service, like live, not the overclocking or hardware thats in it. If your mad because the hardware doesn't make you happy, then build a PC and STFU!
Now, if you want to talk, online services, or game library on each, then i can see that topic, but the hardware is not going to change, so if you bought the console based on the hardware, YOUR AN IDIOT!

I understand what you guys mean by unified experience but I still think it is entirely plausible to reduce the release schedule from 5 years for a major update to 3 years for a performance boost that is backwards compatible. No major architectural changes - slight increase for distance before LOD goes into effect, more particles on screen at once etc. If someone whines so much about that then I really don't feel sorry for them. It's no different than any other piece of technology. Cars can get minor updates to firmware and hardware multiple times a year in some cases. Even not, you have massive leaps from one year to the next when a new base chassis goes into production. Tomorrow you may buy a new refrigerator and next year they may come out with some new tech that reduces the power usage by 30%.. Water heaters are constantly getting minor improvements in energy savings. And so on and so on. Having a fully backwards compatible piece of x.5 generation console hardware that looks 95% exactly the same and plays the same library is not going to break the gaming world in half nor will it bankrupt anyone that spends their entertainment money wisely. It's certainly not a new concept either when you look back at the multiple iterations of classic consoles that were stripped down and streamlined over the years. In those cases the consoles actually regressed in some cases, removing some of the helper chips that were unused in all but the earliest of games to lower manufacturing costs.

This is why I'm planning on updating the pc over a new console. There's zero justification in buying either sony's ps4 or microsofts xbox one.

Well, I upgraded my computer with an XFX R9 290 in November. Then I purchased an XBox one in the first week of January. I was not aware that I needed justification to do this.

I honestly cannot believe there are people that buy the "cloud processing" gimmick as anything more than a made up marketing term and a smokescreen. Did you honestly believe they were going to "co-process" a realtime game with the magical cloud? REALLY?

This.

Nice. Now we can have 32fps locked games instead of 30 :p

Of course, you wouldn't really want that since the vast majority will be plugged in to TVs over HDMI and are stuck at 60hz, which means 30fps would appear smoother than 32fps due to the judder caused by the uneven frame rate to screen refresh ratio.

Though, it would make it slightly less likely to drop below 30fps on games that have a 30 fps cap.

The Wii U gamepad is used all the time by actual Wii U owners.

Biggest feature off screen play of both Wii U , Wii and Eshop/virtual shop games not even counting the off screen use of a really good web browser and Netflix YouTube etch.

Every damn time this crap gets brought up people who obviously don't own one have something to say.

I understand the uses of the offscreen play, but if I wanted a handheld I'd buy a 3DSXL, and for web browsing any other tablet in the world. I don't own one because the price of admission for the few great games it has is way too high.

The gamepad/tablet thing is an accessory, not a requirement to enjoying a game on the system; that is the point. Few are using the tablet screen in conjunction with a game on your TV. Nintendo is losing sales due to the high price of admission to the WiiU platform, even after the price slash they have already done. If I could pick up a WiiU + a standard non-tablet controller for $150, I'd have one right now, and I'd have played the new mario games.

Crippled by a gimmick, just like the Xbone.

every console thread on [H]

_ufc%20double%20knockout.gif

Back