ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at PureOverclock has just published a review of the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

ASUS is a company that continues to challenge notions and offer cutting edge technology for enthusiasts, and as a result, we’ve come to expect big things from ASUS. Today should prove interesting as it appears the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP is set to impress us with a full custom kit for a modest premium of only an extra $20. Sounds pretty good to us.

I just bought this card.. a big mistake considering all the negative feedback at Newegg.

First day, artifacting, crashes..etc. Now it's on to RMA @ Newegg since i'm within the 30 day window, no refunds, however.

I used GPU Tweak to lower the memory and core clocks and that seemed to help. I've read that they may have had some defective memory..so we shall see what Newegg gives me from RMA. I've seen several get back bad cards as well after researching this further.

I'll be fighting for a credit at least since Newegg won't do refunds at all on this card if I get back another bad card. Then back to Nvidia I go...

I bought mine in November and refunded it immediately.
Now I see they changed it to "non-refundable" and for some reason the price is still $380+.

Bought a few of these just before the mining crazy prices and been running like champs. Impressive temps. Only thing I did was a custom fan profile for crossfire cards. Passed all tests for me.

Wish I had been so lucky, my broken card happened just before the mining explosion so it caused me months of being without a card, plus I paid $309 for it which means I could have flipped it for close to $500 in December.

Wish I had been so lucky, my broken card happened just before the mining explosion so it caused me months of being without a card, plus I paid $309 for it which means I could have flipped it for close to $500 in December.

Had I known I would have bought a lot more of them. Without going into details, for each one I got I made a lot more than their value in mining, perfect card. If btc comes back up then even better, if not I'm still quite happy and put a couple in my main rig.

"I'm going to buy more ASUS 280x's"... First time that statement has ever been uttered.
Maybe the bios fix will do some good, assuming ASUS started producing cards with the new bios.

I won't ever touch another ASUS card without reading user reviews first.
After going through a dozen reviews of their 280x, all perfect scores, yet a broken product line. Cherry-picking at its finest, I can only assume.

Forgot I had One rma experience with Asus.

An old 5870 died last year under warranty. They offered a 7870, I declined so they offered a 7950 DC2. Everything took 1 week with new card inhand. A1 customer service for me. Maybe they should work on consistency.

I was told their entire NA stock of 280x was bought out early December.

I got one when they first came out and they were less expensive than their nVidia counterparts by about $100. That changed quickly!

Initially, the card worked flawlessly, and I was astounded at just how good Guild Wars 2 could look. Then I started to experience artifacting--after the newegg return period, of course! I left some bad reviews on both Amazon.com and newegg, and got an email from Asus customer service.

I ran a lot of benchmarking tests. No errors. Artifacts in GW2 continued, but intermittently. Sometimes I'll go a couple of weeks without a hitch, and then I'll log on and find the game unplayable due to artifacting.

While my Asus rep was pleasant enough to work with, I still have no real resolution. Last time I heard from Asus, they wanted me to go talk to my motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) to see if the card were okay to use in my motherboard, the GA-Z87X-OC.

And that's where the ball dropped.

When the card works, it's wonderful. But when it artifacts, it's awful. I cannot believe I spent that much money on a card that isn't 100%.

Back