Walmart Building Distribution Centers to Compete with Amazon

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Walmart likes the number one spot in retail and is taking up the challenge to meet Amazon head on using Amazon’s own business model. Walmart is in the process of building regional distribution centers around the US for online orders.

Ashe expects that Walmart will be able to match the range of products and fast shipping times Amazon has currently in the next two years.

monkey see monkey do. Amazon is run by jeff bezos, a genius visionary, walmart would have to find one of these first.

fast shipping times on amazon? HAH.

amazon is one of the slowest shippers i've seen. On the other hand I ordered something from walmart and got it within one day.

I've never had issue with prime shipping speed. That being said, the free shipping is quite slow if you don't have prime

amazon is one of the slowest shippers i've seen. On the other hand I ordered something from walmart and got it within one day.

I frequently get items next day or at worst 3 days. Maybe all of your stuff is going to NSA first... :p:D:p

What is even better is how I can have my stuff shipped to any Walmart store I want, especially if it is something that I do not want the UPS guy to dump on my porch all day long while I am away. I have been impressed with using Walmart.com to buy stuff and have been using them more than Amazon. The selection is the only thing Amazon holds an advantage on right now for me. Never underestimate Walmart as there is a reason why they will always be around when stores like Gamestop and Best Buy are long gone.

I did have a good experience ordering my Xbox one from wal-mart online. Never really done it b4 and i got it the day of release.

But then again, i do not like wal-mart all that much

Amazon shipping is slow?

Amazon has a great shipping process. Walmart on the other hand is slow as shit and their customer service is beyond terrible. You can't even compare Walmart to Amazon, that's how good Amazon's customer service is.

If you want you can have UPS hold the package and can pick it up yourself.

Periodically Amazon will slow down shipping 'in stock' items in an effort to try to get people to pay for prime; that's what lots of us complain about. I understand if something's out of stock, but if it's listed as in stock, there's no reason why it should not ship by the end of the first business day. If I buy something and it doesn't ship promptly, I cancel it. There are plenty of vendors out there that will ship your merchandise ASAP in order to keep your patronage. If the big guys won't, they won't stay 'big guys'. Amazon grew because of good service, they can die the same way.

For how big and mighty walmart is, most of their shit isnt in stores, you either have to order it to the store or to your house. Also, their inventory system is HORRIBLE, it doesnt reflect anything in real time. Many other reasons I dont go to their stores.

I like it because of Walmart's super easy return policy. If I change my mind, or the product isn't as described, I can simply drive to my local walmart and return it for a full refund, rather than try to pay shipping charges back, getting an RMA#, etc.

Amazon is not slow. I ordered crap just this Saturday morning and it was on my doorstep Sunday at 1pm ish. That was free prime two day shipping.

I'll still go to Amazon with what I need, I despise Wal-Mart, as much as being dragged there for shopping purposes...Or clothes shopping in general.

Let's see. They came to prominance getting away with anti-competitive practices under Mr. Clinton. Now that Mrs. Clinton is soon to run, seems they want to expand into Amazon's space.

Yeah, yeah. Coincidence.

monkey see monkey do. Amazon is run by jeff bezos, a genius visionary, walmart would have to find one of these first.

I dunno if its really fair to give one person all the credit. They probably had meetings and stuff where people presented ideas that helped. Saying stuff like that is kinda like saying Steve Jobs personally came up with all of Apple's iThings.

What is even better is how I can have my stuff shipped to any Walmart store I want, especially if it is something that I do not want the UPS guy to dump on my porch all day long while I am away. I have been impressed with using Walmart.com to buy stuff and have been using them more than Amazon. The selection is the only thing Amazon holds an advantage on right now for me. Never underestimate Walmart as there is a reason why they will always be around when stores like Gamestop and Best Buy are long gone.

Amazon is starting to do this now. The last item I ordered gave me the option to pick it up at their 'Amazon Locker.' Unfortunately it's in a city about an hour away, so Walmart obviously has them beat in that aspect still. However, I imagine soon enough Amazon will have this option within driving distance.

ya, if there is anyone that can do this it's walmart. They already have distro centers all over the world. I used to laugh when I ordered something from walmart from the persian gulf and got it on the helo 5 days later. That's crazy good from a logistics standpoint.

Still good for the market either way that they compete with one another, and Walmart adopts the better practices of their competitor.

Walmart online may suck, but remember that the whole reason Walmart became big is that they were in fact revolutionary in many of their streamlining processes that absolutely blew away competitors.

Unfortunately, they rested on their laurels and didn't adapt to the new online-shopping trend well.

They would need a major overhaul of their shit online site first. I hate walmart.com.

Not that I have any love for Walmart but I am glad someone is trying to compete with Amazon. Amazon has so far been the uncontested winner in internet sales. The problem with Walmart following this business model is that their main demographics are poor and uneducated people who may never use the internet.

Walmart did not invent or envision the department store, yet here they sit the worlds largest retailer. Americans are naïve and put way to much weight in visionaries who are actually just IP thieves in most cases and not visionaries at all. Bezos is good no doubt but Wal-Mart is good too, regardless of if you are willing to admit it or not.

The good news is both of them have one thing in common. TERRIBLE web sites.

Well, Amazon has a great website with a terrible search function.

Kind of sucks because their product page layout is pretty solid.

Walmart is story run by little girls who never grew up fascinated by the prospect of getting paid big bucks to piss me off to no end.......

If I didn't work there I would never shop there what a stupid name for a store. Walmart...

Walmart did not invent or envision the department store, yet here they sit the worlds largest retailer. Americans are naïve and put way to much weight in visionaries who are actually just IP thieves in most cases and not visionaries at all. Bezos is good no doubt but Wal-Mart is good too, regardless of if you are willing to admit it or not.

The good news is both of them have one thing in common. TERRIBLE web sites.

Wal-Mart largely pioneered just in time inventory in the 80s, and in a lot of ways other companies didn't catch up until the late 90s to early 00s Just because you two are probably too young to remember it, does not mean that Wal-Mart got to where they are because they deal with idiot shoppers.

Still not buying from the Walton Family, thanks anyways.

Let's see. They came to prominance getting away with anti-competitive practices under Mr. Clinton. Now that Mrs. Clinton is soon to run, seems they want to expand into Amazon's space.

Yeah, yeah. Coincidence.

....Are you really this dumb or are you trolling?

Back