Four Charged in U.S. Justice Dept's First Counterfeit Apps Case

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have ever wondered whether or not the Justice Department takes Apps crime seriously, I suggest you ask the four defendants charged on Friday for conspiracy concerning copyright infringement, who are now facing years behind bars.

"While this represents the first counterfeit apps case by the Department of Justice, it exemplifies our longstanding commitment to prosecute those who steal the creative works of others."

This is why I only get my apps from a guy on the street wearing a trenchcoat. Anderoid apps are the best!

What about those crap movies that rip off other movies?

You could download just about every app on the market and never pay a dime. I'm really surprised it took this long. I think its a good thing to protect developers on the market place, since most of the time they are not charging a fortune like some of the big companies.

One of the reasons the big wireless companies are requiring the phones from the oem to be locked down is to fight app piracy, also item bricking.

Hmmm and here I thought "Counterfeit apps" meant making knock offs, "Hey I got Candy Crutch right here ya see! Oh and you want fun? I got Angry Boids... yeah I gotz me a bit of an accent, we'll knock the price in half, 50 cents each!"

Hmmm and here I thought "Counterfeit apps" meant making knock offs, "Hey I got Candy Crutch right here ya see! Oh and you want fun? I got Angry Boids... yeah I gotz me a bit of an accent, we'll knock the price in half, 50 cents each!"

I'll take Angry Boids! :D

Don't get me wrong -- glad these guys are getting caught/taken care of...

but the fact they can get a stiffer penalty than the guy who sticks a gun in a clerks face to rob him, or the guy that beats his wife senseless, or worse than just about anyone else... the famed drunk driver.

The kid who killed four innocent people while drunk driving got zero time behind bars... but copy some lines of code and your ass is going to jail.

The kid who killed four innocent people while drunk driving got zero time behind bars... but copy some lines of code and your ass is going to jail.

We can make more people. Where are we going to keep getting 1's and 0's once they run out? You kids now-a-days think those just come out of thin air?

Scientists believe we have already reached peak 1's & 0's production. Some say there is a big reserve in Peru, but it's unsubstantiated. Not to mention we lack the technology to refine them.

Also, he was rich.

One of the reasons the big wireless companies are requiring the phones from the oem to be locked down is to fight app piracy, also item bricking.

If they didn't try to lock them down in the first place...there wouldn't be so many bricks.

Let's face it, there will always and forever be bootlegged apps. All trying to lock down the handsets accomplish is creating more handset bricks to deal with which wastes a ton of R&D money as well.

If they didn't try to lock them down in the first place...there wouldn't be so many bricks.

Let's face it, there will always and forever be bootlegged apps. All trying to lock down the handsets accomplish is creating more handset bricks to deal with which wastes a ton of R&D money as well.

Well the brick's aren't warrantied, so they didn't waste money on that. Developing a locked bootloader also isn't very expensive either.

These are more of a request from the US TeleComm's than the OEM.

Back