Beats Music Closes Access After One Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Beats Music shut down its service after one day because of "extremely high volume of interest." Is it just me or does the fact that the system buckled on day one scare you too?

"Due to the extremely high volume of interest in our service some users are experiencing issues. Most people are unaffected but our priority is to give everyone a great experience. We prepared for issues like these, have a plan, and are going to hold off on letting more people in while we put this plan in action", says Ian Rogers.

Sounds like it was a case of super-low investment into the server system and/or bandwidth to guage initial interest without a large capital investment and, if interest was large enough right off the bat, then spend the money on upgrading the servers/more bandwidth to actually handle the load.

We prepared for issues like these, have a plan, and are going to hold off on letting more people in while we put this plan in action

Apparently you didn't. Apparently you don't. Apparently you don't have a choice.

or they are trying to create demand by saying how in demand their product is

More like extremely high volume of people with bad taste and sound perception.

or they are trying to create demand by saying how in demand their product is

Beats whole thing is like it's a product of marketers. The fact that so many companies out there do essentially the same thing, I just can't see a whole ton of people who 'just can't wait for a service that does music with the Beats logo on the site.' that they don't have subscription somewhere else already. I'd definitely believe more along the lines of somebody remembering the old console shortages and thinking 'What if we make our website a limited resource.'

Beats Music shut down its service after one day because of "extremely high volume of interest." Is it just me or does the fact that the system buckled on day one scare you too?

What high profile online system doesn't have issues? GTAV knew they'd have huge sales, yet their launch wasn't exactly flawless. I get that you (and many others here) don't like that there's not a free option, but this isn't shocking or scary, it's normal.

What high profile online system doesn't have issues? GTAV knew they'd have huge sales, yet their launch wasn't exactly flawless. I get that you (and many others here) don't like that there's not a free option, but this isn't shocking or scary, it's normal.

Really?
So if I sold you a product that was half done, partly assembled, or underperformed that would be "normal"?

Beats Music didn't buy a bunch of equipment and set up their own server did they? I would imagine they just rent the capability from someone else who has more than enough capability to meet the needs. It must be a marketing gimmick.

I only heard of it from a story on [H]. So, demand must be coming from someplace else.

Beats is a marketing company. They are a name stamped on mediocre (or just plain bad) products. My phone has Beats enabled settings. It changes the EQ to more bass and less midrange. That's it. The headphones I've heard are similar. A music service? What does it bring to the table that the alternatives don't? So far, absolutely nothing. You need to offer a product that is better or does something that the others do not. This is just a clone of the others with a premium price tag.

High demand, my butt.

Do we really need another music delievery service? Also, Beats crap is over priced pieces of plastic crap that kiddies think are cool. Why someone would pay over 200.00 for those headphones is beyond me considering I would trust an audio company like Klipsch more since you know audio is like there thing. Plus the demand cant be from the USA they only had a 7 day trial, only 7 days what moron thought that up should be the one fired. Considering all the free options (even pandoras yearly charge is cheaper) and now even iphones new streaming music app who cares, its only the name that means something to people.

Sounds more like they're trying to artificially inflate interest in their service. I still don't see that many people pay $10/mo for a streaming service with 'free unlimited song downloads' when the caveat is you can only play those songs on your phone (total DRM, and no desktop support).

I didn't even hear about this service.

Probably because you ahve more sense than most people who use the Beats brand.

The only thing you prove by using Beats headphones is that you know nothing about headphones and what produces good sound quality.

If everything else the marketed under the Beats brand is a good predictor, then this music service is probably no different.

Beats = overpriced poor quality garbage for people who are easily tricked by marketing and branding.

Does this remind anyone of another large online service rollout in the last few months, or is it just me? :p

It may be hardware related, but I'm going to go ahead and guess they just did a shitty job on the software side.

There are so many hacks out there trying to sell themselves as programmers, but in reality all they are doing is banging out mediocre code without a solid software life cycle development process including such basic things as:

1.) Having a thoroughly defined requirements document BEFORE you start development.
2.) Formally documenting your high level software architecture PRIOR to writing any code
3.) Following a test driven development, where unit tests are written at the same time as (or even before) actual code is written
4.) Verifying / testing your code once done.

If you don't do the above, you are not a software engineer, you are just a code monkey, and shouldn't be let anywhere near serious software development.

(And yes, I know true Waterfall is never feasible, and things change throughout the development process, which is why we have agile development but unless you at least try, a structured approach like this you are only guaranteeing failure)

More like extremely high volume of people with bad taste and sound perception.

I think the whole thing is a PR sham. The kind of people that buy Beats usually don't know where the power switch on a PC is, much less how to download anything.

Back