Network Solutions Auto-Enroll Customers Into $1,850 Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
How would you like to be auto-enrolled into a program that costs $1,850 to start and $1,350 a year afterwards? What kind of program? Who gives a crap, that's almost two grand and you have to opt-out not to be charged? Yikes! :eek:

To help recapture the costs of maintaining this extra level of security for your account, your credit card will be billed $1,850 for the first year of service on the date your program goes live. After that you will be billed $1,350 on every subsequent year from that date. If you wish to opt out of this program you may do so by calling us at 1-888-642-0265.

... The fuck?!

This is worse those auto-mailers that seem to subscribe you to their newsletters without your knowledge.

I would love to see the data on how many people don't pay attention and end up paying that free.

lol, stupid NetSol....hated that place while working there, still hate them now.

And yes a call to the security team would have ended up with a level one support person who would HAVE to push sales on the customer.

NetSol said that people weren't really opted in automatically and that the email was worded poorly.

Why do companies try to get away with this kind of stuff? Do their lawyers tell them to do it, then those lawyers get their friends from another firm to file a class action lawsuit so they can split the money? It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

NetSol has always been terrible going all the way back to the 90's.

NetSol said that people weren't really opted in automatically and that the email was worded poorly.

....... Worded poorly? Your credit card will be billed, is wording it poorly? It sounds very definite to me. Wording poorly, afaik is when it can be taken one way or another, more probably the wrong way. But that sounds pretty exact.

Not saying that you are saying it was worded poorly btw. Just saying that it sounds like a flat out lie in pr speak.

Why can't some of these maniac mass murders target the big corp owners and take them out instead of children. Geeez!?!?!

If you had called to opt-out (of that which you weren't actually opted-in to) they would have of course tried to up-sell and convince you to opt-in.

What a way to drive customers away. They'll be going under shortly. I doubt they make it through 2014 with moves like this.

The program itself seems like a no-brainer. I mean, it's something I can turn on for Twitter, FFS!

But the price is beyond-insane. And it sounds like you have to jump through a lot of hoops to set it up, otherwise once it goes live, you won't be able to make any changes (like, say, the requirements for this program of "certified user" and phone number on file to make changes to your domain.)

And to auto-enroll? I think that comes down to being truly criminal.

Enroll them in a program you the customer designed, for $9,999 per month, (yearly contract) with a $20000 termination fee, and a minimum of 60 days notice required.

Seems fair

You have to call a fucking 800# after paying $2000 up front? Fuck that.

Just the latest company trying to pull the latest scam on their customers that will cause yet another law to be past by yet another group of lawyers hired by our politicians. Old story.

It has "Hay, it looks like a nice domain you have there, it sure would be a shame if anything happened to it" kinda feel.

No, capitalism is governed by market forces.
The response is what you see, outrage, followed by loss of business, lawsuits and NetSol taking a huge hit for their underhanded actions.

I don't see any of that happening.

Probably because they didn't actually do anything underhanded, they just worded an email like they were to goad people in to calling in so they could try and upsell them.

It's like the Mafia of the internet. Want a domain? You have to go through "the family". Now, it comes complete with a protection racket.

I just realized something else. The other nasty domain name company... GoDaddy.... GoD Daddy... Godfather. It all makes sense now. :eek:

Back