Snow Blower Shatters $450k Glass Panel At Apple Store

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know anything associated with the company comes with an "Apple tax" but it is hard to believe those panes of glass really cost half a million dollars each. I guess they should have used Gorilla glass. :D

Doing the math (and excluding labor costs), Apple is looking at a roughly $450,000 bill to fix that glass panel. Reports say that the store has not been closed because of this damaged glass, and it’s unclear when Apple will conduct the replacement.

1) Glass panels that large are a bit more costly since there aren't that many glass places that deal in glass that large.
2) The total cost was the cost to remove the old stuff (although in hind sight they could have saved a ton of money by just renting a snow blower :D), they redid the whole plaza, the cost of the design work, the labor involved in installing the new stuff, equipment rental to install huge panes of glass AND the cost of the glass.

so yeah it's not going to cost $450k to replace a pane of glass.

1) Glass panels that large are a bit more costly since there aren't that many glass places that deal in glass that large.

3 places within 15 miles of me. It's expensive, but we are talking less than a 10th of what the article is claiming.

I'm surprised the neighboring buildings haven't been hit with a suit yet saying that their use of glass infringes on Apples "right" to have their expensive ass glass made out of the bones of young children.

No joke obviously Apple don't believe in gorilla glass etc :) They still refuse to my knowledge to use gorilla glass in products and prefer customers to walk around with broken glass iphones.

No joke obviously Apple don't believe in gorilla glass etc :) They still refuse to my knowledge to use gorilla glass in products and prefer customers to walk around with broken glass iphones.

No, it does use toughened glass, and it may well be Gorilla Glass. The difference is that Apple typically doesn't let companies name it as a customer (to my knowledge, both to protect trade secrets as well as to avoid a third party leaking one of its products early).

No, it does use toughened glass, and it may well be Gorilla Glass. The difference is that Apple typically doesn't let companies name it as a customer (to my knowledge, both to protect trade secrets as well as to avoid a third party leaking one of its products early).

Weren't they the ones who explicitly asked the company who makes gorilla glass to develop it for the first iphone because jobs hated the scratches on the prototype's plastic screen?

must be one of those joke apps that make it look like your phone's screen is broken.

At 450k per panel, I estimate that it should take about $70 worth of ammunition (and a lot of gas money) to completely bankrupt Apple

They should be able to easily afford the replacement with all the taxes they're dodging.

The thing is, since it's an Apple store they can't send it out and replace the broken panel, they can only have the whole store replaced....

Some priceless posts thus far. Thanks for providing me with a laugh during my morning coffee.

Nice to see other companies following Apple's pricing model.

The thing is, since it's an Apple store they can't send it out and replace the broken panel, they can only have the whole store replaced....

That was good.

I'll bet the combination of very cold temperatures, and some well placed debris from the snow-removal was the culprit.

Actually looks kinda cool.:D

I agree, they should break the rest of them to make them match. It'd be way cheaper then replacing one :D

I like the frosted look, but with the direction Apple is going these days, they'll just remove all of the glass and name it the iCube Air.

Weren't they the ones who explicitly asked the company who makes gorilla glass to develop it for the first iphone because jobs hated the scratches on the prototype's plastic screen?

Gorilla Glass has existed for decades. Dow Corning invented it in 1960 and just couldn't find a market for it.

I'm guessing snow removal companies will reconsider clearing snow for Apple after this. Perhaps they can find some "genius" to take care of it, so it can be done without breaking the glass.

The glass is not half cracked. You're looking at it the wrong way ... :D

3 places within 15 miles of me. It's expensive, but we are talking less than a 10th of what the article is claiming.
Yes and the article writer is stupid too, since he's basically saying a 2 window building that's cost $100 million to build means if you break a window it costs $50 million to replace ;)

I think Gorilla Glass is over 40 years old. I think it was invented in the 60's

That window isn't broken, it's a feature. Apple knows that if pedestrians were able to see all the awesome at once their heads would explode. Kinda like hearing the voice of god, it just can't be done.

2501342-haha_zps9ec6dd27.jpg

I bet it would be a 45K replacement instead of 450K if it didn't have the apple logo on it.

Just the transportation and installation alone must cost a pretty penny, aside from the glass.

Back