Netflix Posts $48.4M Q4 Profit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix announced today that it posted close to $50 million in profit and has crossed the forty four million subscribers mark.

It ended the quarter with more than 44 million subscribers, and expected that number to reach 48 million by the end of March. Shares in the company rose 17 percent to $390.46 after hours on Wednesday as its outlook for profit in the current quarter beat Wall Street views. The stock rocketed higher last year, tripling in value, but so far in 2014 it had dropped about 9 percent through the close.

Maybe they can buy some damned content now. I'm on the verge of dumping them as soon as I get through all the seasons of Dexter.

It never has anything I search for.

Maybe they can buy some damned content now. I'm on the verge of dumping them as soon as I get through all the seasons of Dexter.

It never has anything I search for.

Same. Everytime I go to watch something, I end up scrolling through the whole list of stuff, then go "meh" and power off my PS3.

I wish I had gotten some of their stock when they split the streaming and renting business.

The only good thing about Netflix is the stock performance but gut instinct keeps reminding me that it's a bubble waiting to burst (MA is a safer long term investment). Other than the free 3-month with Chromecast I dropped Netflix service a few years ago.

love netflix...if you've run out of shows to watch, you should probably just go for a walk and get away from the TV for a bit..

My subscription is ending this month. Whoever designs Netflix's UI is a fucking idiot.

How can you not love netflix? $7 a month and a pair of rabbit ears on the tv. Sure beats paying $100+ a month for cable. Sure I could afford cable if I wanted to but why throw my money down the drain?

would rather have BB back.. Pay extra for blu-rays is a joke, get releases later, and getting a newer movie is impossible.

I can't believe I'm about to say this ... I miss Blockbuster.

There I said it. Movie releases the day they came on DVD, unlike 5 months later with Netflix. VASTLY more content. I took my remaining queue list from BB and tried to queue on Netflix .... only 20% of the movies were content on Netflix.

I have stream and DVD membership and yet end up renting 5-6-7 movies a month on Verizon on-demand because Netflix won't have them for many months.

Of course the same can be said for RedBox too. Oh well, so much for the media content boom. It turned out to just be less of the same shit, slower, and for more $$.,

PRIVATE SECTOR FTW!!

love netflix...if you've run out of shows to watch, you should probably just go for a walk and get away from the TV for a bit..

I've had Netflix for many years. I think 8 now. There are definitely times I can't find anything I want to watch.

I'm a nature documentary dork and I'm running out. I finished watching Metropolis: Restored (so I can be a hipster snob and tell people they need to see it), and I'm really lacking in content I want to watch.

Planning on cancelling and perusing Amazon Prime for a few months. The maybe over to Hulu to catch up on some TV series.

Like modern WoW, you'd be a fool to keep your sub year round. Be sporatic, 1-3 months at a time and its a real deal.

4 years ago they had better content. Netflix minus shows that are on Amazon Prime minus shows that are on Hulu and there's not much left.

Uhh... I'm no math expert, but $48.4m divided by 44m subscribers would be a profit of a bit over $1/subscriber.

Fuck me, thought the article said monthly results. I'm an idiot.

Can anyone explain why they don't offer tiered service plans? $8/month is fine for the old content, but I think a lot of people would gladly pay ... say, $16/month plan for newer stuff. Why limit it to one plan only?

How can you not love netflix? $7 a month and a pair of rabbit ears on the tv. Sure beats paying $100+ a month for cable. Sure I could afford cable if I wanted to but why throw my money down the drain?

I wish I got free internet like you.

I don't even watch it anymore, I haven't even run out of shows to watch. I think I may end up cancelling as well, there's just nothing really worthwhile to watch. Most of the movies are subpar B-rated titles. And don't even get me started on the horror and action selection.

I miss Zediva.. which is weird because I never had a subscription or ever use it or anything like that. When I heard of it, it was already on it's way to shutting down. But I thought, the way, they did it was extremely legal, yet spun to seem like it's not and judged that it was not, by an idiot judge.

Can anyone explain why they don't offer tiered service plans? $8/month is fine for the old content, but I think a lot of people would gladly pay ... say, $16/month plan for newer stuff. Why limit it to one plan only?

Netflix lost 800,000 members when they separated DVDs and streaming, increasing the price from $10 to $16 for both. People who want the "newer stuff" can add a DVD plan.

So, for mathematical simplification, 50 million customers paying 30$ for Q4, and only 50 million in profit.

i like that netflix isnt gouging customers, but i dont think that the stock market will.

DVD's are great if you want more of the new stuff and don't have to watch it every day. Canceled digital and just get DVD's. Works out great.

I wish I got free internet like you.

$30 a month 3mb dsl. Close enough to free. TV is a complete waste of time and money. I'll only really watch netflix when I'm using my home gym that way I can justify the time wasted.

I've had Netflix for many years. I think 8 now. There are definitely times I can't find anything I want to watch.

Sometimes but thanks to new original content (and tons more to come) that is decreasing steadily.

At the price point Netflix is an easy yes for me.

I did the 1-month trian and did not renew after. The movie selection was shit and did not include any new releases.

TV was decent, but again, you have to wait a year for the most recent season to be made available.

$30 a month 3mb dsl. Close enough to free. TV is a complete waste of time and money. I'll only really watch netflix when I'm using my home gym that way I can justify the time wasted.

So is the waste of time the exercise or the watching of Netflix? :D

Ours is about $60 for 50-80mbs. I watch a few tv shows but I get them from the internets.

I ditched cable for Netflix two years ago. It's great not seeing commercials and the price is more than reasonable. I seem not to watch Netflix much anymore though. I tend to watch Youtube documentaries more than anything else and my personal movie collection.

Same. Everytime I go to watch something, I end up scrolling through the whole list of stuff, then go "meh" and power off my PS3.

Same here too. I really wish they'd go back to the old category system it used to have. It was so much better than the suggestions.

DVD's are great if you want more of the new stuff and don't have to watch it every day. Canceled digital and just get DVD's. Works out great.

That's what I did. Went on the 2 at a time DVD plan. They ship em to my house, I rip em that night into MKVs, send em back the next morning. I watch on my time just like always and always have plenty of backlog. I just delete the files when I'm done - presto! DVD DVR ;)

Back