Sony: What PS4 3D Blu-ray Update?

effing stupid as you know its a simple update and one that it should have shipped with WTF people

Right now there are loads of little updates they're probably going to be rolling out at once. Multi-channel surround audio is borderline broken and is apparently also on the agenda.

Both Sony and Microsoft had years between new console hardware- it is amazing that both companies release new hardware with software that doesn't have features their old consoles have.

Both companies have embraced the worst thing about online updates: the infamous policy of "Get it out the door and we'll fix it later."

Microsoft and Sony: "What was that? I didn't hear you, as I was swimming in my pool of money."

Right now there are loads of little updates they're probably going to be rolling out at once. Multi-channel surround audio is borderline broken and is apparently also on the agenda.

this is kind of amazing since the tech has been around for ages...

Both companies have embraced the worst thing about online updates: the infamous policy of "Get it out the door and we'll fix it later."

Seems to be the same with games. Even with the Wii-U. They are released with nothing spectacular or first-party games that are a must-buy/killer game. Release the console and then a year or so later, the great first party games are released. There are some good games out there now, but nothing that says "MUST BUY".

Same with updates. It's not quite done, but we can release an update to add that feature. It's coming.... DLNA support is another example. I liked it better when they didn't have it so easy. When it left the shelf, it was done. No updates available. What you get at launch is what you get when it is EOL. I like the updates, but it seems like all these promised features are coming later. These seem to be simple things that were commonplace last gen, now are on the back burner.

I have both of the consoles and (to me) I think the Xbox One feels more "finished." It's still riddled with minor gripes and things that aren't fleshed out, but I've generally had fewer issues or full-on bugs with it.
It's still a complete hassle to manage party chat.
The PS4's OS is odd. You can't arrange or customize anything. Demos stay in your library forever. Some even have broken store links.
Audio-wise, the system always outputs LPCM as 7.1...only the two back channels are dead except in very rare instances. At the same time, it still incorrectly outputs 5.1 via the center and rear channels for many games. DTS (and DD) fix some of the issues, but then again, they're both limited to 5.1.

Gotta keep those aces up your sleeve so you can keep yourself relevant in the news down the line!

If Sony would have taken their smart pills, they would have created the PS4 to support 4K HDTVs.

Wait a minute? Didn't Sony invent the Blue-ray format? So let me get this straight, their own products don't support the format they engineered?

I have a PS4 and this pissed me off when I found out this.

Sony is failing right now, they don't have enough PS4 units to fill store shelves. They cheaped out on the DS4 manufacturing and the build quality of the controllers is poor at best.

I used to like Sony, now I'm just a pissed off customer.

Wait a minute? Didn't Sony invent the Blue-ray format? So let me get this straight, their own products don't support the format they engineered?

Sony is failing right now, they don't have enough PS4 units to fill store shelves. They cheaped out on the DS4 manufacturing and the build quality of the controllers is poor at best.

3D support for Blu-ray, if I understand (article blocked at work). Standard Blu's work fine, though.

Yeah, it's just 3D Blu-Rays that don't work correctly.
Right now all disk-based videos also have their own sound settings (like TrueHD, Dolby, etc.) buried in a sub-menu that will supposedly be more user friendly to reach. At the same time, the Xbox One won't bitstream at all, so that's one area Sony's half-assed version is still better.

I don't know if I agree with the comment about the DS4, to me it seems excellent.

3D movies, who gives a shit.

The consumer base have been telling the tech companies no thank you on 3D for years.

3D Blurays, lol. I still remember the hysterical sycophants in the comments at engadget- "no 3D isn't a fad it's here to stay this time you'll see, Avatar I mean Avatar!# So magical and wonderful its a whole new era". Theyre real quiet these days.

It's cool Shuhei, I don't know when my update from a PS3 to a PS4 will come either. Maybe I'll have a solid ETA once the PS4 at least meets the media capabilities of the PS3. I'll get back to you guys.

Don't feel bad. Xbox One doesn't support it yet either. I have several 3d movies and I have wanted to try them out for some time.

I'm gonna have to be that guy: the image shows the person was asking about his PS3, not his PS4. The thread title is wrong.

I don't know if I agree with the comment about the DS4, to me it seems excellent.

The rubber coating on the control sticks rubs off after a while. So then people have to go out and get those replacement covers for them. Also there seems to be a high failure rate with all the reports from people who's DS4s quit working after 2 months.

If sony or microsoft had to wait for everything to be polished before releasing the consoles, we wouldn't have them for another year or so.

I can't speak for the xbone, but the ps4 plays games just fine. Sure there are the occasional issue, but nothing serious. If you want a media box get a media box, or just wait until they have time to get everything working on the ps4/xbone.

I have a ps4, appletv, and mede8er media box all next to each other. The appletv is the best streaming box I have (have a roku3 as well). The mede8er is the best bluray streaming box I have used and I have quite a few different brands of those laying around as well. Everybody wants a all in one, but that means they have to cut corners. I'll use a hdmi switching receiver and keep my individual boxes and won't complain that my gaming console only plays games...

Back