Steam Machines Support Up To 16 Controllers

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure why you would ever need this many controllers plugged into one Steam Machine but at least the support is there. Now they just need developers to take advantage of it somehow.

Steam Machines are Valve's attempt to bring a simpler, console-like experience to the PC landscape. So naturally, they'll need to support some form of couch co-op like console gamers tend to want. Developers attending Valve's Dev Days this week say that it can support up to 16 controllers on one device, which could make for some mighty raucous gaming sessions.

hopefully some games make use of this since you can actually run 2, 3, or 4 monitors with a steambox unlike with a console. probably too small of a demographic to get any attention though.

Why wouldn't it support that many controllers? It is just a computer. You can buy all sorts of controllers and joysticks for a computer.

good.
hope someone makes some cool party games, better yet allow people to control if with 16 smart phones.

Think about the options of just having any game on the TV with smart glass like functionality and as many players as you can fit in your living room.

The other thing is hopefully more games start considering really dynamic multiplayer. Join with up to 16 players on one screen but also allow players from other computers to join in too, with any combination.

So think like 4 players in the living room all playing with 4 player split screen on a single server for a racing game or something, then 2 other players playing from another machine in the office, and another player joining from his laptop.

Would be great to see games developed with 4 players on one HTPC working together as a team vs 4 from another in another home or the same lan or whatever.

Pretty sure I can plugin more than 16 controllers in my PC if I want..

Why wouldn't it support that many controllers? It is just a computer. You can buy all sorts of controllers and joysticks for a computer.

Well consider there were angry xbox kids screaming "OMG Steambaux is gunna be closed and proprietary no different than just lyke what Microsoft wanted to do with the online clowd except now itz okay?"

So much for the "closed and proprietary" arguments.

Steam controllers work with Windows and OS X too.

The "benefits" are pretty thin for Steam OS. Related: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...s-probably-wont-cause-a-pc-gaming-revolution/

Read through that. The same old short-sighted arguments. "Why would anyone want this when Windows has a bigger library". LOL. I dunno, why would anyone want Xbox One or Playstation 4 when their predecessors have a bigger library and they're not backward compatible?

This is a hedging strategy, a longterm plan. Best thing the naysayers and Microsoft can do is not take it seriously and dismiss it as a nonfactor, in fact I highly recommend.

I can connect 127 controllers per motherboard hub controller on my PC. The real question here is why did big brother Valve decide to handicap their Steam Machine to only support 7? Who are they to tell me I can't have 254 of my friends play the next great PC FPS in postage stamp sized windows spread across a 6 screen Eyefinity setup?

4k monitor divided up to 16 panels is just like 1080p divided by 4.

Also, like others have said, it would be fun to have multiple monitors running from one machine with different players at each.

Just need to reinvent the couch now.

The-Lego-Movie-Double-Decker-Couch.jpg

Everything is awesome!

hopefully some games make use of this since you can actually run 2, 3, or 4 monitors with a steambox unlike with a console. probably too small of a demographic to get any attention though.

4*4k monitors, 4 players per monitor :)

Who are they to tell me I can't have 254 of my friends play the next great PC FPS

Sir for you they will no doubt make an exception. For the rest of who MIGHT be able to scrounge up 4 people to come over to our house to play a game, we will suffice :(

Xbox one supports 8 controllers, no idea how many the PS4 supports. not surprised that the stream machine supports more

4*4k monitors, 4 players per monitor :)

Good god the processing power that would be needed to handle that would be outrageous. I don't think any "stock" Steam machines will have the "horsepower" to drive 4 * 4k monitors. Unless the games are circa mid 2000s in terms of graphics.

They already did, they're call Pringles.
No one said progress was a good thing.

Reinvent that shit. My hand can't go down that damn tube, it's too skinny. So many "that's what she said" there, I think I'm gonna get out while I can..:p:D:eek:

Back