Apple Settles With FTC Over Kid App Purchases

HardOCP News

[H] News
Only $33 million? Heck, that's couch cushion money in Cupertino. Thanks to Ocean for the link.

Apple reached an agreement on Wednesday worth at least $32.5 million to settle allegations from the Federal Trade Commission that the consumer electronics giant billed consumers for charges incurred by children in mobile apps without parental consent.

They should have made the parents pay for Apple's court costs instead of this. Teach them to track what their kids are doing.

They should have made the parents pay for Apple's court costs instead of this. Teach them to track what their kids are doing.

But people might actually have to take responsibility! Think of the implications!

Well, we've outsourced everything else in this country. Might as well outsource parental responsibility to a corporation or the government while we're at it.

Kids know what they're doing.
Problem is parents don't want to believe the kids do.
When I was raising my nephew he begged for me to let him use my card on his iPod, but after racking up $50 in DLC on XBL on "accident" with his grandmother's card I told him no way in hell, go buy a gift card and use that.

I rarely side with Apple but they shouldn't have to pay for sloppy parenting.

I rarely side with Apple but they shouldn't have to pay for sloppy parenting.

Disagree.

Apple added a new feature (in app purchases) and the default setting allowed these new types of purchased to be charged to the credit card connected to the account with no notification.

At the very least, it should have been defaulted to not allow the purchases by default.

Back