GameStop Plunges After Poor Holiday Game Sales

A decline in sales for GameStop is generally neutral news. Sales go up and sales go down at whim based of which season or 'quarter' you look at as sales are largely dependent upon game selection. What significant game's have came out on the new consoles? A lot of console gamers have been complaining that the titles they wanted to buy the system for aren't available till a month or two from now or later due to late-announced delays. The general consensus on the new game console is the game console's game selection is lackluster at best. Some of the games you'd think would have been hits (BF4) turned out to be giant flops and bug filled.

It's funny that these CEOs keep feeding the lawyers with their stupid statements. Their egos can't help but bullshit about how awesome they are, even when it'll burn their ass.

My nephew who lives with us waited in a HUGE line at Gamestop the day after Christmas. Does that count as "holiday?"

Seems like 22.5% is a little steep of a penalty. Might be a buying opportunity. Gamestop isn't going under or anything. Should be back up 10% in 6 months when some decent games release.

Gamestop makes their money through resale of the traded in games, New games profit doesn't amount to much net income for them but serves as a reason for people to trade in games for.

Anyone with morals would never shop at GameStop.

I just don't buy anything used there because I got tired of 45 minute drives to exchange shit disks for working disks 3-5 times per game. Since the used games were only $5 cheaper than buying new I'd wind up spending $30 in gas to save $5 on a game.
Total waste of time and money.
Hope the bastards go under.

If only those new console had actually had some minimal sort of library to sell it might have been different.

Seeing as all PC gamers don't shop there anymore and consoles are only one generation away if that from not needing gamestop either they really need an online storefront or they're going to be the next Blockbuster.

Years ago you had no choice but to buy new games in a brick & mortar store. Now that has changed. Places like GameStop will go the way of Blockbuster.

My nephew who lives with us waited in a HUGE line at Gamestop the day after Christmas. Does that count as "holiday?"

Seems like 22.5% is a little steep of a penalty. Might be a buying opportunity. Gamestop isn't going under or anything. Should be back up 10% in 6 months when some decent games release.
It will sooner or later. Distribution is moving to digital and GameStop is pulling a Blockbuster

I am pleased to report that the extensive planning by our entire team over the past year to prepare for the new console launches paid off by granting myself a huge bonus,” GameStop CEO Paul Raines said in a statement.

fixed

Seeing as all PC gamers don't shop there anymore and consoles are only one generation away if that from not needing gamestop either they really need an online storefront or they're going to be the next Blockbuster.

Gamestop actually already has an online storefront/digital distribution. They acquired Impulse from Stardock a couple of years ago, but it's only floundered since then (not like it was doing much before they bought it either, though).

Gamestop actually already has an online storefront/digital distribution. They acquired Impulse from Stardock a couple of years ago, but it's only floundered since then (not like it was doing much before they bought it either, though).

I think part of the problem with maintaining a digital store front is the library ... when Gamestop bought Impulse and when Direct2Drive got bought out I just moved my libraries to Steam for convenience ... I use Origin and UPlay sporadically since they have platform specific titles I want to play but all my other games are through GOG or Steam ... Gamestop probably needs to buy a couple of developers so they can have some platform specific titles (like UPlay, Battlenet, and Origin) since it is hard to compete with Steam or Amazon pricing on a day to day basis, but a big platform specific title can force people into your store

I quit going there along time ago when I bought a pc game and the guy took the dvd sleeve out of a bin and put it in the box and tried to sell it to me.

Stopping buying from there in 2002 due to be sold a used game as new that was clearly re-sealed in saran wrap. They reap what they sow.

Anyone with morals would never shop at GameStop.

Well then I have no morals, because I am unwilling to pay more than $7-$8 for a crappy DSI shovelware title for a 7 and 3 year old who might play the game 5 hours total at best.

Seriously the stupid angry nerd rage statements about GS on this forum are really getting pathetic.

Well then I have no morals, because I am unwilling to pay more than $7-$8 for a crappy DSI shovelware title for a 7 and 3 year old who might play the game 5 hours total at best.

Seriously the stupid angry nerd rage statements about GS on this forum are really getting pathetic.

In a case like that wouldn't renting the game for a night be better?

Just saying I would never buy anything new from them. Used is a different story.

I just don't buy anything used there because I got tired of 45 minute drives to exchange shit disks for working disks 3-5 times per game. Since the used games were only $5 cheaper than buying new I'd wind up spending $30 in gas to save $5 on a game.
Total waste of time and money.
Hope the bastards go under.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck...sounds like a poorly run store. I have never had a bad disk, and for the most part, all of them looked practically new, and I have bought dozens used. While I do live near two or three in a 5 mile radius, I understand the fuel costs / etc.. I just get sick of paying $60.00 for a mediocre game. I usually pay full price for the AAA titles as I intend to keep them. As I get older, I seem to gain some patience, so I can usually wait at least 6 months to a year and then hit Gamestop for people who are selling their games after 30 days of using paying retail.

Not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from, overall sales were still up for GS and when millions are buying new $500 consoles is it any surprise that game sales would be lower, especially when "next gen" titles are few and far between?

I Used to be a manager there...THEY HAVE SOME SERIOUSLY SHADY BUISS DEALINGS Im GLAD to see it take the Hit!

I quit going there along time ago when I bought a pc game and the guy took the dvd sleeve out of a bin and put it in the box and tried to sell it to me.

I had a guy do that to me with a brand new 360 game. Apparently some game titles they pre-open....umm no, i pay $5 extra to rip the plastic off myself thanks.

This article doesn't jive with the latest news about Gamestop hitting a record holiday sales of 3.15Billion.

This article doesn't jive with the latest news about Gamestop hitting a record holiday sales of 3.15Billion.

Actually it does if you read the whole thing, it says profits are up almost 10% due to console sales, but game sales were down.

Personally it's not surprising since most people who drop $500 on a new console isn't going to spend as much on games at that point as they would if the new consoles weren't available, especially when there are so few next gen titles.

I only go to GameStop if I am given gift cards there. I feels like a damn pawnshop.

Their practice of opening sealed boxes and selling them as new always pisses me off. I mean i go pick up game labeled "NEW" I do not want to see the register biscuit taking a opened box and trowing the media and paperwork into the box.

They do that for theft protection.

Not as much of a reason to steal a game box without the game in it.

Of course the people that would try to steal from them are probably too stupid to realize that the serial code is probably still in the box and all they would have to do is torrent the ISO of said game.

Now disc based copy protection is a bit different - the ones where you have to insert the disc to play the game.

No reason to steal those at all if the disc is not in the box. Might as well just torrent and install a crack since that is what you would have to do anyway.

I don't shop at Gamestop either for the most part.. just saying I completely understand why they keep the game discs locked up.

I only go to GameStop if I am given gift cards there. I feels like a damn pawnshop.

Their practice of opening sealed boxes and selling them as new always pisses me off. I mean i go pick up game labeled "NEW" I do not want to see the register biscuit taking a opened box and trowing the media and paperwork into the box.

They do it this way for theft protection.

I only go in to GS when I'm purchasing a gift card for someone else that can be used with other companies, like a Steam Wallet card.

They do it this way for theft protection.

It would make more sense to me to have little plastic product cards hanging on the racks that customers grab and take to the register so that all theft protected inventory is kept in an employee-only-access back room. Would allow customers buying new products to feel better by getting a sealed box instead of one that has been opened then left wondering if the GS employee remembered to put everything back in it at the time of purchase.

Yea I DESPISE that practice. Thankfully they have not done it with Collectors edition titles I bought from them. (Starcraft II and Cata expansion for wow.)

Sorry to hear about the bad luck...sounds like a poorly run store. I have never had a bad disk, and for the most part, all of them looked practically new, and I have bought dozens used. While I do live near two or three in a 5 mile radius, I understand the fuel costs / etc.. I just get sick of paying $60.00 for a mediocre game. I usually pay full price for the AAA titles as I intend to keep them. As I get older, I seem to gain some patience, so I can usually wait at least 6 months to a year and then hit Gamestop for people who are selling their games after 30 days of using paying retail.

3 different Gamestops and I've got trash disks from each of them, including those bastards putting broken disks in the containers on me.
Really, they're a con job around these parts.

Back