Game Dev Sick Of The Hatred From Gamers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It might be time for this guy to find a different line of work because gamers "hating" on everything is just what they do. :D

Out of the millions around the globe who will pick up our game and love it, only thousands will flock to the Internet and scream about how much it sucks—how it's broken, how it's buggy, how it stinks so much. Of course, there will always be critics. The world needs them. But I don't think there's ever justification for the personalized negative attacks, the hate speech, and the borderline cruelty to those who worked 12+ hours for days, weeks, months, and, in some cases, years, to get games in the best possible shape.

Welcome to the internet :D

It is just the nature of how things work, the people most likely to go to the trouble of responding are at the opposite sides of the bell curve (the folks who LOVE it and the folks who HATE it) ... the vast majority don't feel strong emotions either way ... if you are going to work in a profession where you provide products or services to the general public then you need to just put on the big boy pants, get a thicker skin and ignore the haters (or try and sift through their comments for the grains of truth there) ;)

The strange thing is that gamers also don't take douche game devs well at all. I think they are still fuming about EA and the whole offline mode situation with SimCity, aren't they...

Who goes into the Internet randomly reading comments?

The credible hate comes from a buggy game, DRM etc, everything else is just general hyperbole that should be ignored.

A lot of the "haters" are little crybaby boys who are acting like spoiled little girls.

I think the author has a great point and he is right.

He gives an example: "I hope the idiot people who made this just kill themselves after they kill their family"

With game developers so connected to forums, social media, and their email easily available it is so easy for them to hear these comments.

I work on products that millions of people use and I never hear these kind of comments, I can only imagine how it would make me feel to hear such things about something I had worked hard on.

How would you feel getting such negative speech and death threats sent to your email about something you had poured years of your life into? This kind of speech isn't acceptable, and it is sad that so far the comments here have dismissed his opinion.

Wait, he thinks that the video game demographic consists of mature, rational people?

People talk shit about everyone and everything on the Internet. It isn't limited to game devs. They are not special. No one's out to get them.

Go to IMDB and see them saying the most vile things about actors, producers, directors, screenwriters, etc. Do you think any of them gives a shit about some Internet troll? No.

This guy needs to stop being a baby. Sounds like one of those unique snowflakes who can't handle any form of criticism.

how it's buggy

Legitimate concern, you release crap, expect to be treated like crap. Not always the dev's fault but they are part of it.

And as someone said, games are art, and therefore is subject to criticism, if they don't like it, go into manufacturing, I hear they are trying to get those jobs back from china. All you do there is follow step by step of laid out procedures.

Can't read the article.

I do agree that, there are a bunch of people who bitch and whine about stupid shit though. most of the time, it's because you take up something and change it 180 degrees from what it was and expect praise. Not keeping the essence of what made it popular, is going to get kick back. If you don't expect it, you're naive.

It's always been that way. Focus on the constructive stuff and ignore the crazy people. When you have that figured out, shut the fuck up and do your job.

Consolization, catering to the lowest common denominator, and poor design decisions and QA make me want to quit gaming in the same way the anon dev states (extreme) negative comments sometimes make him (or her, I suppose) want to move to another industry.

The guy certainly has some legitimate points, unfortunately those are generally overshadowed by his obvious bitterness. I believe it is just simply time for someone to find a new career track.

Those that take the insults so far as death threats against those that made the game, certainly are way out of line. Those people however can be fully ignored. However the unfortunate reality is a large percentage of games being pushed out on the market are nothing more than shovelware crap. While I realize these are profit generators pushed by upper management/publishers, the dev at the bottom can't expect to be given any respect for these titles. I don't really care that you worked 80 hours a week on it, a polished turd is still a turd. To those who invest their heart and soul into an original IP that flops, well it sucks but welcome to business. Millions of people have come up with what they thought was an amazing idea and it failed miserably. Games are no exception to this.

I think he makes some valid points. He flat out says that if his game is broken, then tell him. So he doesn't seem to have a problem with criticism. But he's right that people go waaaaay out of line with their hatred.

Quit making games that suck, are broken, buggy and stinky and we'll quit bitching.........some of us anyway :)

6a00d834515b2069e201053605c23c970c-pi

Sorry, but, I have better things to do than hate on a game. :rolleyes: :D Oh well, folks wonder why others do not listen.

It's always been that way. Focus on the constructive stuff and ignore the crazy people. When you have that figured out, shut the fuck up and do your job.

The anonymity provided by the interwebs is what brings out the REAL personality defects of people. I know I have posted shit that I would never say to someone’s face because I would shame myself or get my ass kicked. Like in your post above, “shut the fuck up” you would probably never say this to someone in RL.

Nowhere has this become more disgusting or real to me than the PS4 Live Stream area. People broadcasting just complete shit for no reason, and hundreds to thousands of viewers who clearly keep viewing for hours so they can post vile, perverted and racist attacks. Society is severely crumbling and we wonder why the government is desperate to build a huge internal spy system? We need to clean up our shitty acts and start exercising our manners and morals.

However, the main purpose of most chat on the web is to bitch, right?

The whole thing is that you don't have to read the hate. If you don't like it, just ignore them. All the really bad stuff is on forums and comment sections. Those are just for comic relief.

The anonymity provided by the interwebs is what brings out the REAL personality defects of people. I know I have posted shit that I would never say to someone’s face because I would shame myself or get my ass kicked. Like in your post above, “shut the fuck up” you would probably never say this to someone in RL.

Nowhere has this become more disgusting or real to me than the PS4 Live Stream area. People broadcasting just complete shit for no reason, and hundreds to thousands of viewers who clearly keep viewing for hours so they can post vile, perverted and racist attacks. Society is severely crumbling and we wonder why the government is desperate to build a huge internal spy system? We need to clean up our shitty acts and start exercising our manners and morals.

Ironically I am try to be more civil online than in real life. I often tell people to shut the fuck up in real life when they are being retarded. My wife says I'm an asshole to people. Who knew?

Man up Nancy boy :D ... as the old saying goes, "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity ... and I'm not sure about the universe" :cool:

did-someone-forget-their-big-girl-panties-funny-poster.jpg

We should all be careful in our criticism of others because, well, they may not handle it as gracefully and maturely as most of us (some sarcasm here intended).

It's funny how one sided this is. It's one thing if you make a new game and it has issues and people get made, it's a complete other thing when someone takes something that you loved and turns it into something that is absolutely horrid in comparison (aka the sequel). This is SimCity that came from 4 non-shitty versions, this is Masters of Orion 3, this is Sword of the Stars 2, this is that nice girl next door type you grew up with who turned into a goth because of her friends. If you take something someone loved and distort the fuck out of it all for YOUR desire then expect hatred to come, yeah some of it my vitriol, but it's your job to figure out what's just blind raging vs. oh shit this guy is going to really kill me, and since this "developer" (and I question how much he actually developed considering he also associated himself as a tester which most people probably wouldn't do) couldn't hear what the fans were saying in the first place, I doubt he'll be able to distinguish on this front either.

LOL maybe if the money hungry developers/publishers didn't ask so much money for a game that is pure trash or hurried out the door without consideration to the people that worked hard to buy that junk they are selling nobody would complain. Here is another idea why don't you publishers give us demos anymore ? Why must you refuse returns of software ? Your the pricks that cause people to pirate software because you all are nothing but thieves yourself.

Sounds like that whiny baby Phil Fish.

I do think harassment on the Internet is pretty ridiculous, but come on.

I've seen comments made by gamers, and a lot of them can be way out of control, but it's usually justified. Mainly because they found an issue and they expect it to be fixed. Doesn't matter if it's a bug or a imbalance. The ones that get personal are obviously going too far.

Try to understand that a lot of developers like to use one person as a representative of the development team, and that can be a huge mistake. Take Greg Street (a.k.a Ghostcrawler), who's taken a lot of shit that wasn't his. The community wanted someone to lash out on, and Blizzard let Ghostcrawler take all the heat. Feel sorry for that guy, cause it's not like he deserved it. He was basically the communities punching bag.

I think that most of the hate is aimed more at the publisher and not the developer. Those that make the games usually do a great job (mostly), but when under pressure and being forced to release an unfinished game to meet a release date, it can make the game rushed and well - unfinished. That gets a lot of hate, yet publishers like EA continue that practice. These game developers need more freedom. They need the resources and time to complete a quality game. Then, if that happens and a game is still shit, then hate on the developer.

I would. My online "personality" is my real personality.

Like I said, ignore the crazy people. Those that make threats or can't piece together a coherent thought aren't deserving of anyone's time, let alone someone who works 80hrs a week on entertainment.

Those that have reasonable complaints can be ignored, too, but only if they obviously don't fit the target demographic for your game. Anything constructive, even when negative, should be at least considered.

It's part of the job.

Perhaps whiny dev show program a game to work and stop wasting time putting in money grabbing features the studios or some bureaucrat wants. Stop bothering with DRM and ditch the paid DLC and stop releasing shit before it's ready just to meet a release schedule and fail over and over to patch it later.

The big problems with developers, and I have worked with developers in all sorts of fields from backup software to online school web software to games to drivers and more, is that in nearly every single case, they will never admit there is a problem with their software. Constantly, they take the road of "It's not my software its this hardware." or "It's not my software it's this other software changing the libraries."

I am currently working as a systems admin of a software test lab. I get a new appliance, install the software, run into a problem, and it is weeks to months of arguing this aspect or that aspect, going from department to department, of constant infighting before I can finally get someone to take ownership of the bug and work to fix it. It's always exactly where I told them in the beginning, too. It's horrible. I absolutely hate it when I put up a new machine and it won't work, because I know it is going to be like wrestling alligators and anacondas at the same time. (I need a new job. Anyone know an available position for a Windows/Hardware/Network guy?)

Sure, developers work 12+ hour days many times, but most of that is arguing about who is at fault for a bug and who is going to fix it. Many of them bring those long work days on themselves. I've never known of a developer group that wasn't like this. I've known individual developers who admit their mistakes and work to correct them, but they are a minority, and they are always at the mercy of the group.

^Hah! I know what you mean, one of our trainers "trained" us on the software we used. They mostly said, when ased a question on why it does this or that, was that it's a windows problem, it wouldn't have happened on linux. I am just left thinking, then why did your company accept the contract for an environment that uses windows?

I've been making video games for 15 years now. Hate comes with the territory. Deal.

At that point, you stop caring and your games become lifeless. Case in point World of Warcraft expansions. CoD. Diablo III. Insert name of game here. I watch developer live streams of the game Warframe. The developers have asked nicely that the users please stop leaving them death threats in their inbox on the forums every time that they refine the way the game works. Over the past year I have watched 2 of the developers start to clam up on saying things that might infuriate the community. Those were the most outspoken members of the development community and also the ones with the most death threats. If going by the comments posted during the live stream, the female moderator / community manager would have been raped thousands of times if they knew where she lived. She comments less and less on the forums also. It's like these assholes making what they think are anonymous comments are killing these artists and making them regret their career choice.

These guys make their living on being able to read the forums and gauge what the community thinks of their work. Their sole purpose is to add enough activities to the game to keep as many different types of personalities engaged in their game so more will come try it. If they cut themselves off from the community then they lose their edge. If they start ignoring posters with issues, then they become thick skinned and no longer care about the art and making it appeal to many different types of people. if they just shut up and work, then their game will become generic as they are just going through the motions.

If they post something negative back to their community everyone would have a shit attack and blow it completely out of proportion. So they can't even respond in kind to the jerks. I don't want my visits to the forums of my favorite game to be like going to the DMV for a license renewal. I want to be able to talk to the developers freely and they feel like they can trust me enough that they can be honest in their responses even if it isn't what I want to hear.

Maybe I'm old school. That's the way my parents raised me though.

Back