Could You Fall in Love with Your Computer?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Normally we don’t do reviews of movies, especially love stories, but this one hits too close to home to pass up with a man falling in love with his operating system. At least we know that Windows 8 is not involved. :D The film is ‘Her’, the story of a man who loves his computer, maybe just a little too much.

The relationship begins when Theodore Twombly (played by Joaquin Phoenix) installs OS 1, which is advertised as "not just an operating system - it's a consciousness."

I could love my computer if it had a decent AI and the body of Motoko Kusanagi.

Otherwise, whats the point? There are millions and millions of lonely women that would love a emotional non-physical relationship, and you can't really have sex with a displayport.

I could love my computer if it had a decent AI and the body of Motoko Kusanagi.

Otherwise, whats the point? There are millions and millions of lonely women that would love a emotional non-physical relationship, and you can't really have sex with a displayport.

Don't worry, one of these days the Japanese will invent a USB device to take care of that for you.

Don't worry, one of these days the Japanese will invent a USB device to take care of that for you.

yea, but think of the cleanup...not good times.

I think the concept is a little out there, but there are strange people out there too.

There already is one.

If you search on a website called SankakuComplex, the Japanese are already there. Think of a fleshlight with a USB cord, and you'll get an idea.

A Significant other on demand, all the good parts of a emotional relationship without the downsides. No having to work around the other persons life because they aren't living, no having to hassle their needs or desires because they have none. I'd imagine a good enough AI would easily win over the masses.

If millions of Asians (and perverted white guys) can get into those love/relationship choose your own adventure games then I think "we" as a whole could love a computer. Me personally? I dunno, the AI would probably scare me more than me fall in love with it

WHAT ... are we on Archer (or in Demon Seed) :p

VirtualGirlfriend.png

Reminds me of the episode on "The Big Bang Theory" where Raj falls in love with Siri and even dresses "her" up in a sparkly cover to sit at the dinner table with him.

There already is one.

If you search on a website called SankakuComplex, the Japanese are already there. Think of a fleshlight with a USB cord, and you'll get an idea.

years ago there was also the fuck u fuck me (or something like that0 which plugged into an empty 5 1/4 slot on the front of your computer. But yeah, there are a few options out there already now.

As for the movie / point of the thread. Movie is basically about some guy falling in love with Siri (just with a different name). Given that you can fall in love with a person that you just chat with online, I could see some really lonely person that was talking to an AI that could interact with him on about the same level as a person online starting to develop feeling if he was to forget it truly as a computer.

Depending on how complex computers get in the future, not only the A.I. but computer related accessories, like 3D Printers, and who knows, maybe even printers that can engineer living cells from data files, it's totally plausible to not only have a sexual relationship with your computer but depending on, as mentioned, the future of computing, for a hacker to infect your computer with a CG-STD, "computer generated - sexually transmitted disease" which could then be passed on to it's human host.

Lol yup there are a lot of freaks out there getting married in online mmorpgs. I think it's the most retarded thing I ever seen :) Regardless reminds me of the old Ultima Online days when you could kill anyone anywhere. We found out about a wedding and poisoned all the food/drink and those that did not die we slaughtered. Dam I miss those days so badly :-( to bad games now days just cater to the crybabies and microwave generation.

A Significant other on demand, all the good parts of a emotional relationship without the downsides. No having to work around the other persons life because they aren't living, no having to hassle their needs or desires because they have none. I'd imagine a good enough AI would easily win over the masses.

lol it's a learning computer. Once it comes in contact with a bitchy woman, watchout!
The AI will lock you out, call the cops, ruin your credit, and clean out your bank account simultaneously.

Given how mentally messed up some people are,it's very feasible someone could fall in love with their computer. I think the scenario the movie poses is,what if an AI were developed capable of returning that love? When it comes down to it,our brains are just biological computers,the question is,what constitutes true sentience? Is it simply being self aware,or does the ability to feel emotion apply as well?

I'm not going to watch this movie, but I fully expect it to set back geekdom about 20 years.

Didn't they have a guy in Scandinavia marry a blow up doll ... stranger things have happened (sadly) :eek:

Just going to flat out say no to the absurd idea that any man could fall in love with a computer on this concept. A woman perhaps, but a man not a chance. Now before you get all indignant and try and play the sexist card, let me explain.

Men aren't emotional creatures. It isn't in our nature and it is how we evolved. Despite what feminist propaganda tries to shove down our throats, we aren't at this stage. Women however are extremely emotional, this isn't something that is an insult or even a debatable point. It is just a flat out fact. That is why I say that if it were a woman portraying the main character, I could buy the concept. You see this movies is attempting to push what is in effect a "Strictly" emotional relationship. No pictures, no sex, nothing even remotely tangible as physical. Sorry but there isn't a man on this planet who would get by on a strictly "emotional" relationship long term. Oh sure you might find a few who manage it for short periods of time, but never anything lasting. You don't even need a degree in human psychology to understand the extreme fundamental differences between men and women.

Now I will counter this a bit..Lets say this concept originated in Japan and the "OS" was built into a robot. Then yea I see it not only happening but being huge. While men may not be emotional creatures we most certainly are physical, even if that physicality is synthetic. So in short the movie is just a shitty feminist propaganda chick flick attempting to portray a completely absurd situation that would never happen. Had they had the OS in a robot, then it could of been more believable. But then they would of either had to go full on Japanese robot which wouldn't of sold worth a damn here in the US or just been a shitty remake of the Bicentennial man that Robin Williams did.

I've met tons of men who are emotional.
Its to be expected, there are men who feel they should be women and undergo a sex change.

There are medical conditions that heighten emotional responses as well, like Autism.
Also some uneducated people can become more emotionally charged when they dont understand something they need to, or if they are outclassed mentally.
There are many shades of grey, its not black and white.

Watching the trailer on YouTube... I really feel like they missed an opportunity to bring the tech crowd into the theater.. but after watching said trailer, it looks like another generic sappy chick flick.

Pass.

Watching the trailer on YouTube... I really feel like they missed an opportunity to bring the tech crowd into the theater.. but after watching said trailer, it looks like another generic sappy chick flick.

Pass.

Its not. I saw it last night and thought it was great. There were some moments that were hilarious and original. The whole movie was bizarre and really good. The tech stuff isn't realistic, but it's meant to be in the distant future. There is pleanty of humor that will resonate well with the nerdy crowd.

Also, Joaquin Phoenix nailed it. He was great.

Don't be a RoboSexual! :p

As for me i'd love to meet a woman who's into computers and gaming, but most i meet nowadays are more concerned with shopping and themselves..
We ever get to the Holodeck level of technology, now THAT would be a different story for an artificial woman. lol

Just going to flat out say no to the absurd idea that any man could fall in love with a computer on this concept. A woman perhaps, but a man not a chance. Now before you get all indignant and try and play the sexist card, let me explain.

Men aren't emotional creatures. It isn't in our nature and it is how we evolved. Despite what feminist propaganda tries to shove down our throats, we aren't at this stage. Women however are extremely emotional, this isn't something that is an insult or even a debatable point. It is just a flat out fact. That is why I say that if it were a woman portraying the main character, I could buy the concept. You see this movies is attempting to push what is in effect a "Strictly" emotional relationship. No pictures, no sex, nothing even remotely tangible as physical. Sorry but there isn't a man on this planet who would get by on a strictly "emotional" relationship long term. Oh sure you might find a few who manage it for short periods of time, but never anything lasting. You don't even need a degree in human psychology to understand the extreme fundamental differences between men and women.

Now I will counter this a bit..Lets say this concept originated in Japan and the "OS" was built into a robot. Then yea I see it not only happening but being huge. While men may not be emotional creatures we most certainly are physical, even if that physicality is synthetic. So in short the movie is just a shitty feminist propaganda chick flick attempting to portray a completely absurd situation that would never happen. Had they had the OS in a robot, then it could of been more believable. But then they would of either had to go full on Japanese robot which wouldn't of sold worth a damn here in the US or just been a shitty remake of the Bicentennial man that Robin Williams did.

I think you are on the right track... Men can be emotional, but not in the way required to "love" a computer which I know is what you meant. Men are generally functionally orientated. Our "connections" (friends) are very functional based on usefulness (advancing knowledge in things we care about). Women rely on a (emotional) support tree... Their relationships stem from different reasons and in general are batsh*t crazy. So I totally agree, this should be a woman. Plus it'd probably make for a better chick flick... Assuming this is a chick flick...

I think you are on the right track... Men can be emotional, but not in the way required to "love" a computer which I know is what you meant. Men are generally functionally orientated. Our "connections" (friends) are very functional based on usefulness (advancing knowledge in things we care about). Women rely on a (emotional) support tree... Their relationships stem from different reasons and in general are batsh*t crazy. So I totally agree, this should be a woman. Plus it'd probably make for a better chick flick... Assuming this is a chick flick...

Exactly..and yes this is clearly a chick flick. I don't believe there is any doubt to this. :)

Hell I love my computer already, if an AI-based OS came to fruition I'd never leave the house.

You guys like getting bitched out for spending too much time with your 'puter, what if your computer was your girl? I think that'd be a relationship that would be near drama-free.

Back