Get Ready for the Next Windows Operating System

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft knows when you've run out of insults and trash talk for Windows 8/8.1, so they figure it’s just about time to give you a new target to shoot at. Behold Threshold, or as it will be known later, Windows 9 or whatever final name lands on Microsoft’s next operating system.

In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't work, and didn't resonate with customers.

This is good news and expected. I'm sure this thread will get into the whole win8 stuff. I use win8. And it could be better. Least MS is keeping up with tradition of every other windows version sucks :p

Wow, a new OS that is much like the old one, wonder why it takes so long to introduce it? Maybe they need to add more backdoors to spy on grandma typing an email.a

*sigh* I always seem to upgrade to soon-to-be-abandoned versions of Windows. Went straight from Vista to Win8.

That said, those versions' reputations had more to do with botched launches leading to perception problems than anything concrete. Vista was fine after SP1, as-is Win8 if you download the desktop version of Acrobat Reader so .pdf's don't open in Metro and Classic Shell to restore the Start menu. I haven't so much as looked at a Metro tile in months, so it's like a better version of Win7 for me.

It's code-named Threshold because it is the version of the kernel and UI that will run on all desktops, tablets, Windows Phone, and the Xbox One

I'd make deals to have it embedded into TVs too instead of that garbage Samsung and the rest of the TV manufacturers are passing off as "Smart"

Windows OSes are starting to remind me of the axiom about Star Trek movies...

Windows XP: Good
Windows Vista: Bad
Windows 7: Good
Windows 8: Bad
Windows 9: Good?

Why these features weren't featured in Windows 8 is still baffling to me. In the long run it would have been better for Microsoft to just have delayed what has become Threshold rather than unload Windows 8 and the bad blood that created. That said, I sure hope they can keep on schedule without sacrificing too much as delays would be bad but so would another fouled up product. They need another home run like Windows 7 and not another ME/XP/Vista/8 release mess.

I have hated M$'s naming convention for a very long time. 1) Win 1.0; 2) Win 2.0; 3) Win 3.0; 4) Win 95; 5) Win 98; 6) Me/2K; 7) XP; 8) Vista; 9) Windows 7; and 10) Windows 8.0.

Seriously, is Balmer that bad at counting?!

I may switch from Win 7 (the ninth iteration of consumer windows) if there is a pure desktop non-touchscreen mode.

Wow, a new OS that is much like the old one, wonder why it takes so long to introduce it? Maybe they need to add more backdoors to spy on grandma typing an email.a

This is correct, the new OS will have all the backdoors for the new world order or other agencies. Whatever happened to Microsoft ?

Hey Microsoft, here is 10 ideas you need to put into Windows 9.

1. Dump Windows Media Player, it sucks. Team up with VLC and include that instead.
2. Dump Windows Defender and MSCE. Team up with Avast, include the free version at least.
3. Dump Internet Explorer, it's will always suck, include Google Chome or Pale moon instead.
4. How about a real remote connect application, similar to what TeamViewer offers.
5. How about a real backup program, something on the scale that Acronis True Image offers.
6. A real virtual environment tool, similar to VMWare is needed that would allow someone to run any Windows or Mac os seamlessly side by side.
7. A real way to mount and dismount any image as a virtual machine.
8. Notepad needs a major overall, would be nice to see it have the features Notepad++ does.
9, Include Office Pro with Windows.
10. Allow the end user to remove any component/module of Windows 9 they wish to and replace it with a 3rd party solution.

Gonna be funny if this new OS boots up in Desktop mode and has the Windows 7 Start Button by default. Then everyone who preached "If you just get used to Metro and give it time, it's not so bad" will then have to manually enable Metro.

Glad I skipped Windows 8.

I have hated M$'s naming convention for a very long time. 1) Win 1.0; 2) Win 2.0; 3) Win 3.0; 4) Win 95; 5) Win 98; 6) Me/2K; 7) XP; 8) Vista; 9) Windows 7; and 10) Windows 8.0.

Seriously, is Balmer that bad at counting?!

I may switch from Win 7 (the ninth iteration of consumer windows) if there is a pure desktop non-touchscreen mode.

Pretty sure it starts at 95, and includes Me and 2K as different oses. Then Windows 7 makes sense.

1. Dump Windows Media Player, it sucks. Team up with VLC and include that instead.
2. Dump Windows Defender and MSCE. Team up with Avast, include the free version at least.
3. Dump Internet Explorer, it's will always suck, include Google Chome or Pale moon instead.
4. How about a real remote connect application, similar to what TeamViewer offers.
5. How about a real backup program, something on the scale that Acronis True Image offers.
6. A real virtual environment tool, similar to VMWare is needed that would allow someone to run any Windows or Mac os seamlessly side by side.
8. Notepad needs a major overall, would be nice to see it have the features Notepad++ does.
10. Allow the end user to remove any component/module of Windows 9 they wish to and replace it with a 3rd party solution.

Love your list, and wish it could be that way. Only problem is that except for 3, 7, 8 and 10, your list would end up with MS in court. Especially in the EU.

As long as they let us have what we liked before and dont try to ram their own ideals down our throats, I'll buy it.
I took a stand against Windows 8 because Microsoft shouldnt be allowed to get away with their recent behaviour. I was so sad because I want to have the latest OS and really liked the beta.
But then they deliberately stripped it of things I liked very much in an effort to force us to use their Windows store.
I'm glad it backfired, it died due to greed and stupidity.

It seems that everyone but a few rabid posters on [H] recognize Windows 8 for the disaster it is. Thurrott is about as rabid a pro Microsoft pundit, as exists and he says:

—there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good.

Dump Windows Media Player, it sucks. Team up with VLC and include that instead.
Oh hell no, you can keep VLC. I'll stick with a DirectShow / MediaFoundation compatible player.

What happens when you have a codec issue in VLC? Nothing, you're screwed until they fix it.

What happens when you have a codec issue in Windows Media Player, WinAMP, or Media Player Classic? You install a different codec and you're good to go.

VLC also has almost no media library capabilities to speak of... really, switching to VLC is a downgrade from Windows Media Player in almost every way I can imagine...

Why Avast? Why not Avira?

What about IE9, 10, and 11 sucks? They seem solid enough as far as I'm concerned.

Remote Desktop Connection is already included with Windows, and is one of the fastest remote solutions around... even supports 3D acceleration through RemoteFX.

Only thing they really need to do is bring the Terminal Services Gateway roll down to the consumer level.

Windows already includes image based backup, file-level backup, and versioning / file histroy...

Windows already includes Hyper-V, just enable the feature from the control panel...

Windows already includes the ability to create and mount VHD files.

This I agree with, though most users wont notice or care. Potential waste of development resources.

A version of Office is already included with Windows RT

They don't really have much reason to include Office with the more expensive editions of Windows. Office sales are just fine. People who need Office are buying Office.

You can already remove a huge portion of the OS if you wish. Windows has become extremely modular. Just go to the Add/Remove Features applet (same place where you would add Hyper-V) and start unchecking things.

Nothing stopping you from using a 3rd party alternative once the built-in solution is removed, either.

If you want to go even farther, there's also Windows Embedded. The image builder for Windows Embedded allows you to select from every single component of Windows 7 or 8 and effectively "roll your own" distro of Windows.

It seems that everyone but a few rabid posters on [H] recognize Windows 8 for the disaster it is. Thurrott is about as rabid a pro Microsoft pundit, as exists and he says:

The funny thing is he's considered too "soft" and "whiny" by some of the unsettled pro-Metro nutjobs at sites like Neowin, roughly equivalent to tea party people unwilling to see any other point of view. And to them Paul Thurrott is a "sellout" and "whiny" when he dares make any criticism of Win8/Metro (yet overall he's pro-Microsoft) - enough to send them into a rage. Its comedy.

Meanwhile most longtime Windows users just want Microsoft to regain their footing and apply some common sense to design moving forward.

Glad I stayed away from Windows 8, I guess we'll see what Windows 9 brings, I mean it can't get much worse. And get rid of all that touchscreen crap. Let us use the GODDDDAAAMMM MOUSE!

Pretty sure it starts at 95, and includes Me and 2K as different oses. Then Windows 7 makes sense.

Look at the build numbers:
Win 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.11
Win 95 - Win 4.0
Win 98 - Win 4.1
Win ME - Win 4.9
Win 2000 - Win 5.0
XP - 5.1
Vista - Win 6.0

Were you around when WinXP launched?

I ask as it was widely mocked and derided as a crash prone fisher price OS...that most people refused to give up Win2k for until SP1.

That would make W9 that much heavier. No thanks.

Love the comment section references on that site and [H] to Chronicles of Riddick, as many of us feel MS took the stance with Windows 8 that we had to "Convert now......or fall forever." Turns out many more PC owners would rather fight back and keep older versions of windows or find ways to avoid using Metro.

Anyway my line of thinking is that if this releases in April, it'll be that year's biggest April Fools joke.

Don't worry, MicroSoft will never listen to all these suggestions, no matter how good, or needed they are.

They have made all the current Help, or "Contact Us" venues so impossible to actually get through to MS, or a Real Person, that they will never allow this to change, no matter what.

Were you around when WinXP launched?

I ask as it was widely mocked and derided as a crash prone fisher price OS...that most people refused to give up Win2k for until SP1.

For gaming, XP was a ton more stable than Win9x.
While XP had its issues at release, I wasnt rebooting every few hours any more.
Win2K was great if the games worked, but the support for many games just wasnt there.

44776411.jpg

Bring it on, we are ready. And if it has anything that resembles Metro.... well you know.

Okay, tell me how I can Remove, or Disable, Windows Firewall, in Windows 7 (64 Bit) OS then, Por Favor

Also, they need to seperate mobile OS from Desktops OS.

But this really doesn't seem to be what the market is saying about Windows tablets. The #1 criticisms of Windows RT the OS is that it doesn't run x86 desktop applications. Indeed virtually all OEMs have dropped Windows RT devices and these new Bay Trail tablets seem to be a hit and one the big reasons mentioned by many for that is because these Bay Trail devices are x86 compatible.

Whatever the complaints and issues with Windows 8 the concept of devices capable of running both tablet and desktop oriented software looks to be well received and when the hardware is good and cheap enough to do it that hardware is getting pretty high marks.

Your post is full of fail. You forgot several versions which throws off these posts, guess it is easier to keep propagating myth rather than fact.

Back