Corsair Announces AX1500i, the World’s Most Technologically Advanced and Efficient PS

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, the most awarded PC power supply brand in the world1, today announced the AX1500i Digital ATX power supply. The PSU’s digitally-controlled circuitry delivers 1500 watts of ultra-stable power with efficiency that goes beyond 80 PLUSTM Platinum, making the AX1500i the most technologically advanced, energy efficient, and customizable power supply available for extreme PC enthusiasts. The AX1500i’s groundbreaking efficiency meets the current draft for ATX 115 Volt 80 PLUS Titanium for consumer PSUs.

The AX1500i's second generation digital architecture enables the PSU to consistently deliver up to 1500 watts of power with class-leading Titanium energy efficiency levels of up to 94%. The DSP-controlled circuitry of the PSU allows it to consistently deliver exceptionally stable voltages along with amazingly low ripple and noise. Tremendous power reserves combined with a vast array of cabling options enables the AX1500i to power heavily overclocked PC systems with up to four graphics cards in NVIDIA® SLI™ or AMD CrossFireX™ configurations with headroom to spare. The AX1500’s leading performance is possible thanks to a streamlined component count and circuit-board layout made possible by the DSP-based design. The AX1500i’s high efficiency results in reduced heat, allowing the PSU to operate in silent Zero RPM Fan Mode until the load reaches 450 watts. A custom-designed fluid dynamic bearing 140mm fan, specifically designed for low-noise operation, allows the PSU to run quietly even when running at full 1500 watt power output.

This is awesome, and just last year people were going "They'll never break 88% efficiency"

Yet here we are

The link takes you to Corsairs AX PSUs, the AX1500 isnt listed yet.
At least not when viewing from the UK, maybe its an overseas caching issue.

I can't wait till HardOCP gets a hold of this unit.

The link takes you to Corsairs AX PSUs, the AX1500 isnt listed yet.
At least not when viewing from the UK, maybe its an overseas caching issue.

Doesn't show up on my (US) side of the pond, either...;)

That seems like an awful lot of wattage to pull through a single wall-socket--have to have a dedicated circuit to support it, I'd bet (my 600W Corsair @ home has no trouble at all on a shared circuit.)

Still, that could suck the power out of my UPS so fast that it would turn inside out. :D

I fried my PSU last week.
Hint: dont use the tin foil trick on an AC fuse! although it works for DC.

Doesn't show up on my (US) side of the pond, either...;)

That seems like an awful lot of wattage to pull through a single wall-socket--have to have a dedicated circuit to support it, I'd bet (my 600W Corsair @ home has no trouble at all on a shared circuit.)

Yes, you will need a dedicated circuit for your computer, perhaps even need a second one for your screens if you have a bunch. (more than 3) as the average 115VAC 15A breaker only supplies around 1800 watts of power.

As for a UPS.. get a 2000 watt sine inverter, run it off deep-cycle marine batteries.

I can't wait till HardOCP gets a hold of this unit.

I haven't heard a peep from them about these and they are claiming 80 Plus Platinum but ECOS/ECOVA has not certified them yet, so I would expect these guys to be a number of months out yet.

I wonder how efficient it will be around the 100W mark (idle for a standard PC) as this is only a 7% load.

Yes, you will need a dedicated circuit for your computer, perhaps even need a second one for your screens if you have a bunch. (more than 3) as the average 115VAC 15A breaker only supplies around 1800 watts of power.

As for a UPS.. get a 2000 watt sine inverter, run it off deep-cycle marine batteries.

In terms of electrical engineering, what do people mean when they say "dedicated circuit". Does that mean per room ( is there only one circuit per room), per plug socket or per double wall socket? My new 4 GPU rig will exceed 1500 watts, due to the motherboard requiring 300 watts. I'm trying to figure out where to site the monster rig. Each plug socket supplies 15 amps right?

In terms of electrical engineering, what do people mean when they say "dedicated circuit". Does that mean per room ( is there only one circuit per room), per plug socket or per double wall socket? My new 4 GPU rig will exceed 1500 watts, due to the motherboard requiring 300 watts. I'm trying to figure out where to site the monster rig. Each plug socket supplies 15 amps right?

A circuit breaker has a certain rating, say 15A. That means at peak (for most breakers) you can put up to 15A through it before it trips (assume no ground or arc fault....fi'ing AFCI's). That breaker will feed at least 1 outlet in a room, but most of the time more. So, it depends on your wiring. In my office and where the test equipment resides, I have three 20A circuits. Each circuit feeds one wall in that room (the wall with the door has no outlets). In this arrangement my PC's are on one circuit, the load testers on another, and the power supply being tested is on a third. On the walls with the load tester and the power supply being tested there are 3 sets of outlets (though only one gets used) and on the wall with the PC's there are four sets of outlets (with 2 PC's, laser printer, and network gear).

So, on the wall with the power supply being tested there is a "dedicated" 20A circuit for that power supply, but only because unlike the other walls I do not use the other outlets. If were, then it would no longer be a dedicated 20A circuit. This would be the most likely scenario in normal residential construction to achieve a "dedicated" circuit (ie you simply do not plug anything else into the outlets fed by the circuit not having the wiring I have for so many in such an area).

I haven't heard a peep from them about these and they are claiming 80 Plus Platinum but ECOS/ECOVA has not certified them yet, so I would expect these guys to be a number of months out yet.

I'll keep my eyes on the lookout for the benchmark whenever you get it.

the site says its certified for draft titanium. It made me happy.

I have the AX1200i in current system. Great unit.

Cant imagine that I'd need a 1500 anytime soon unless I bought 2 x more Titans (which Im not going to do).

But cool nonetheless....

If this means titanium-rated PSUs coming to desktop PCs then I'm all in favor. As is gold and platinum are pretty danged good (and I have no intention of getting rid of my Seasonic X-Series PSU), but every little bit helps.

In 110-125 VAC areas you'd need a dedicated circuit, yes. For 230VAC countries you get 16A circuits with 3,680 Watt available. Can put two of these puppies on a circuit with room to spare :)

... or 4,600 Watt if you put in 20A breakers ;)

Finally, a single Corsair unit able to run quad SLI/CF!

Really looking forward to the reviews of this beast.

the site says its certified for draft titanium. It made me happy.

No, it doesn't. It says "meets the current draft specification". Nowhere does it say certified, which is good because what Corsair has done is internally tested a few (or Flextronics has) and said "look at these numbers" put this in the advertising copy! ECOS/ECOVA has not certified the unit yet and if this product goes as normal for Corsair likely won't for sometime after it's launch for any 80 Plus level (though that is all a marketing sham anyway).

Now is that Titanium Certification from 110 or 230? Much easier to hit titanium efficiencies at higher voltage input

Now is that Titanium Certification from 110 or 230? Much easier to hit titanium efficiencies at higher voltage input

"Meets the current draft for ATX 115 Volt 80 Plus Titanium for Desktop PC PSUs" is what it says.

is it giong to be much better than the lepa 1600? i will have 4way 7970 lightnings here shortly so i need to upgrade my 1200w soon.

Back