MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming 3GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you need a new GPU, head on over to techPowerUP! today and check out their review of the MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming 3GB video card.

MSI's GeForce GTX 780 Ti is the best graphics card I've reviewed in a long time. It is very fast, thanks to its overclock out of the box, yet doesn't run hot at all. Its powerful TwinFrozr cooler also enables MSI to run the card at fantastic noise levels that are quieter than most other graphics cards on the market.

Nice review. If I'd gone single card something like this would probably have been my choice.

Interested in a shootout between something like this and a top end overclocking 780 (non-ti) and a top end OC'd 290x (custom cooler)

Make it so [H] :)

Noise levels are REALLY impressive. Great card all around, although max overclocks will be better on the custom PCB cards like the classified. Then again the classy costs near 800$ (last I checked) while this is 710$. Damn nice card.

fannoise_load.gif

Fantastic card it seems however a poor overclocker. If I didn't overclock my cards myself I would definitely buy it. Now only thing left is for Ti is to come down in price.

Love the 780ti, but I don't know why the MSI Gaming gets a better score than the EVGA SC ACX when the ACX cools better, has much better memory temps and better VRM temps along with a much better warranty/company behind it. Does an extra $19 at this pricepoint matter that much?

Custom PCB card isn't going to make ANY difference at all unless it's on ln2 or something. On air it's all a GPU lottery. Even stock PCB is sufficient. Only difference on some custom PCB cards. Lightning for example and probably classified 7xx cards. Is that you can throw more voltage at them than reference PCB allows.

ps xoleras. Look at the pictures this card does have custom PCB.

Love the 780ti, but I don't know why the MSI Gaming gets a better score than the EVGA SC ACX when the ACX cools better, has much better memory temps and better VRM temps along with a much better warranty/company behind it. Does an extra $19 at this pricepoint matter that much?

Only reason ACX cools better is fan speed. Ramp up fans on TF4 and temps will go under 65c 100% load and still be more quiet than ASX. Stock gaming is only at 30dbA, ASX 39dbA.
TF4 look like stronger cooler just when I look at them and 100mm fans are great choice for silence and performance. Price and high factory overclocks are big factors too.

Gaming is my favorite GTX 780Ti so far. Only 10$ premium over ref., super silent and potent cooler and huge factory overclock and it looks good, to me at least..

Noise levels are REALLY impressive. Great card all around, although max overclocks will be better on the custom PCB cards like the classified. Then again the classy costs near 800$ (last I checked) while this is 710$. Damn nice card.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_Ti_Gaming/images/fannoise_load.gif

I'm more impressed that TPU's sound floor is below 30db.

That is super quiet, but this chart makes me think I could tolerate the stock 780 blower cooler no problem.

Only reason ACX cools better is fan speed. Ramp up fans on TF4 and temps will go under 65c 100% load and still be more quiet than ASX. Stock gaming is only at 30dbA, ASX 39dbA.
TF4 look like stronger cooler just when I look at them and 100mm fans are great choice for silence and performance. Price and high factory overclocks are big factors too.

Gaming is my favorite GTX 780Ti so far. Only 10$ premium over ref., super silent and potent cooler and huge factory overclock and it looks good, to me at least..

Good point. I had thought of the RPM's after I posted. Good value then. I just can't stomach another MSI card personally, especially after continuing to see reviews mirroring my past problems.

Last edited:
I have a major pet peeve when it comes to enthusiast websites doing noise comparisons, and either they'll do comparisons against various cards with stock coolers (I would never buy a stock HSF video card), or they won't mention the exact brand of the card they're comparing against, so you don't even know if they're using stock HSFs or not. Completely meaningless comparison in that case, when they list a generic "GTX780" -- does this mean reference model or no.

For once, someone needs to do a comparison of cards with the exact same GPU, but with cooling solutions from different brands. So for example, do a shootout of non-reference GTX780s coolers, including the Twin Frozr, DirectCUII, ACX, Windforce, etc.

For once, someone needs to do a comparison of cards with the exact same GPU, but with cooling solutions from different brands. So for example, do a shootout of non-reference GTX780s coolers, including the Twin Frozr, DirectCUII, ACX, Windforce, etc.
Those exist, Anand does them called "Round-ups". HardwareCanucks does it as well.
Anyway, if you assume each website uses the same test bench for audio levels, you can compare their separate benchmarks to each other.

So you can take various TechPowerup reviews for different cards, and use the individual noise results for each card to compare them... since they're all being tested the same way.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_Ti_Gaming/22.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_Ti_SC_ACX_Cooler/25.html

The ACX SC is 5 db louder than the MSI.
Keep in mind: You also have to look at temps and factory OC.

I would like to see somthing like GTX 780Ti Gaming vs 290X Gaming or WindForce, DC2 or 780 vs 290 and reviews like that.

I'm more impressed that TPU's sound floor is below 30db.

That is super quiet, but this chart makes me think I could tolerate the stock 780 blower cooler no problem.

23db here. I sent back the ACX and the DC2 due to noise levels. MSI comes today, I'm pumped, but I hope it clocks well! Guru3D got 1228 boost, exactly what my vanilla 780 DC2 hit.

Last edited:
23db here. I sent back the ACX and the DC2 due to noise levels. MSI comes today, I'm pumped, but I hope it clocks well! Guru3D got 1228 boost, exactly what my vanilla 780 DC2 hit.

Was the DC2 that loud? I was looking at getting one. My GTX 680 DC2 is pretty inaudible with my custom fan profile, 35% fan keeps temps under 68°C in BF4 MP with my OC, and I have a very quiet setup....

Definitely a good buy with the Twin Frozr cooler and the fact that US warranty/customer service is great - they allow you to replace TIM or alternative cooling while still retaining a valid warranty *** unless you physically damage the card. I have been going for MSI GPUs for years now due to the Twin Frozr cooler, and it gets better every new generation as well.

Was the DC2 that loud? I was looking at getting one. My GTX 680 DC2 is pretty inaudible with my custom fan profile, 35% fan keeps temps under 68°C in BF4 MP with my OC, and I have a very quiet setup....

YES! @ 60% fan speed, what I needed for 75C load in BF4 MP in 22C ambient, it was definitely audible over my case fans. IIRC, this was 1800 RPM. I have no idea what 35% fan speed on your DC2 is. But I'm guessing it's much, much lower than 1800 RPM. Granted the 780 is a hot little bastard compared to the much cooler running 680.

Here are my impressions of the card. I'm hoping others w/ non reference coolers can follow that a bit so we can get a real feel for what these cards sound like @ a given fan speed and not just some blanket, "It's all 39 db bro." like Guru3D. I found Techpowerup's sound rankings to be much more accurate.

tl;dr
The MSI Twin Frozr absolutely STOMPS all over the DC2 and ACX coolers. It's not even close.

Definitely a good buy with the Twin Frozr cooler and the fact that US warranty/customer service is great - they allow you to replace TIM or alternative cooling while still retaining a valid warranty *** unless you physically damage the card. I have been going for MSI GPUs for years now due to the Twin Frozr cooler, and it gets better every new generation as well.

Now this is interesting as my card has a little "Warranty Void If Removed" on one of the four screws needed to remove the HSF. I'll have to check their site for this specific card and see if something is changed. Both TPU and G3D have pics of the sticker on their cards as well.

The only major issue I can see thus far is insanely terrible coil whine on my sample. This is during the WinSAT performance index and 3DMark. Though @ the end of 3DMark, during Firestrike, no less, I could not hear it. I am hoping it will fade?!

That Tom's article today about cards on an open testbench versus in a cramped case made the Asus not look very good, though it was 290X hardware.

Guys, do you think MSI Gaming is better than EVGA SC ACX ?

Considering MSI has got 100mm fans that run at lower RPM and therefore should be more quiet ?

Considering MSI has got 100mm fans that run at lower RPM and therefore should be more quiet ?

Either card is quiet. EVGA is going to provide better CS and warranty. I like my EVGA SC ACX but I can't say that I don't like the looks and price of that MSI Gaming. My card does 1327/7800 on Skyn3t 1.212 bios.

According to TPU the MSI Gaming is far-and-away the best Ti cooler out there right now.
Anything should be better than the ACX.

According to TPU the MSI Gaming is far-and-away the best Ti cooler out there right now.

What about the PNY 780 Ti OC with the 3 large counter-rotating fans? (Rebranded palit jetstream I think.)

It is FAR BETTER. Cooler and quieter. Not just a little either.

Either card is quiet. EVGA is going to provide better CS and warranty. I like my EVGA SC ACX but I can't say that I don't like the looks and price of that MSI Gaming. My card does 1327/7800 on Skyn3t 1.212 bios.

Nice clocks! Are those BF4 stable?

Couldn't agree more. Hated the ACX.

What about the PNY 780 Ti OC with the 3 large counter-rotating fans? (Rebranded palit jetstream I think.)

I would love to know this answer. Couldn't get a good read on it online, so I went w/ the MSI. Very happy with my purchase. Also, that card is fuggggly!

Don't be fast on judgments!

No card should be taken seriously without owners testing it with max clocks + volts after 30 mins loop and fans at 70% +

Then you can see vrm temps, and know if the card worth it, before you can just enjoy "stock" benchmarks and short oc tests, which tell you exactly nothing.

So far I'm @

25C room temp
67C max temp in BF4 over 5 hrs
1900 RPM fan speed (66%)
1250/7500

I have no idea what my VRM temps are. :(

But I like my card. Even if it shits heat all over my poor CPU. :)

So far I'm @

25C room temp
67C max temp in BF4 over 5 hrs
1900 RPM fan speed (66%)
1250/7500

I have no idea what my VRM temps are. :(

But I like my card. Even if it shits heat all over my poor CPU. :)

Great temps.

No vrm sensors in gpu-z? try HWiNFO.

Back