Digital Music Sales Dropped for the First Time in 10 Years

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Digital music sales are in decline for the first time since Apple began the iTunes store 10 years ago. The exact source of the decline has yet to be pinpointed for the 2013 totals.

iTunes has long been the one of the main sources of revenue for the flailing recording industry. CD sales have been plummeting since Napster, but thanks to Apple, at least the artists and their record labels were moving digital units.

Can't have anything to do with the fact that the general trend in music is still downhill. I think I only bought about a dozen albums total last year.

Well nowadays the music is written by one group of people and usually heavily "inspired" by actual previous artists (or in the case of rap lately, they just remix old songs), the lyrics are written by another team of monkeys, they grab some random person that has the right look/image and make him or her the singer, and then they just autotune the crap.

It seems like actual artists that play an instrument and can sing and write their own songs and music never make it mainstream to be noticed these days.

Generally, music was bad enough at the start of the iTunes store...it's simply gotten worse ever since...;) People are just recycling stuff recorded during the last 40 years, etc.

I am proud to say that I have no idea who the fuck any of these "popular" artists are nowadays.

Could also be that you had a new format and it is now a good 10 years old and a lot of people just have almost everything they could want. This is why wallstreet goes nuts over new "product cycles" because people need to rebuy what they already own. Don't worry though they will soon fix this by going "HD". And then 5.1 music.

Streaming services?

That would be my guess. I don't own a single CD. I never really bought a lot because I just don't listen to a ton of music, but when streaming services came along, I had absolutely no reason to buy a CD. I use Songza whenever I feel like listening to music. I suppose it happens but I can't comprehend why someone would buy whole albums because in my past experience most of the songs on an EP suck. Now MP3 Panda might be changing that though....how in the world do they offer music albums for so cheap?

Pandora and youtube. why would you pay for music, when you can stream it for free

Had nothing to do with pirates, that was probably down too . . . . . because the music sucked.

I don't download music, store or bother with music anymore these days.

Whaaa not enough "artists" making more garbage to consume?

My first thought exactly, nothing new and good is coming out over the last few years, it is the same music , same beats, same lyrics, the originality in music seems less and less lately in all genre's.

I have been filling my ipod with Classical music lately cause everything else seems so boring.

There's still tons of great music being made, it's just that virtually none of it is popular. If you really have an interest in music you can still find plenty of good stuff, it just takes time to find it. If you aren't willing to look beyond the top40 (which really just measures what teenage girls like) that's your loss, but it doesn't mean good music doesn't exist anymore.

Don't become the "get off my lawn" guy.

There's also a ton of great music made in the past that I bet most people have never even heard. Between exploring older music and listening to newer stuff there isn't enough time in the day for me to listen to all the good music that's out there.

Mainstream music is shit anymore.
I haven't bought a physical disk for at least 10 years because of it. I have bought digital downloads of independent artists instead.

I don't know about you all, but I haven't purchased or even illegally downloaded music in a LONG time. I pay for a couple streaming services, and that's it. I really don't care to bother otherwise.

when will they shut down youtube like they shut down mega upload?

Back