Pirate Bay Uploads Surged 50% In 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
The entertainment industry's tireless efforts are finally paying off....for the pirates.

Over the past year copyright holders have worked hard to stop The Pirate Bay from operating, but without success. Despite several domain changes and ISP blockades in various countries the resilient torrent site keeps on growing. This growth is reflected in the number of uploaded torrents, which increased by 50% over the past year.

And yet another record year for profit in the entertainment industry. Boy those pirates are just killing jobs left and right for the big studios :rolleyes:

Ugh

If it's going up, that's because people are canceling their cable/sat connections. Netflix is becoming useless fast, cause they keep losing movies instead of gaining. What else can you do but go bit torrent?

I certainly don't wanna go back to paying $20-$30 for movies I'd only watch once, and most I'll end up hating.

And this is why what the MPAA is doing is OK.
The RIAA.
The NSA

Because you know, fuck freedom and human rights, mp3s and movies are being downloaded.

And this is why what the MPAA is doing is OK.
The RIAA.
The NSA

Because you know, fuck freedom and human rights, mp3s and movies are being downloaded.
Yes freedom and human rights are so intertwined with digital downloading such is the cause of the Internet knight.

You don't think the laws are not influenced by lobbyists from Hollywood in Washington, that pushes legislation that force ISP's to block sites like The Pirate Bay and others? Of course they do. That is why it is OK. Everything is fine.

Bah no edit.
I dont mean to say there are laws in America yet, but they push to make legislation in their favor, which is in that direction. The same that has succeeded in other country's

Uh... BT went up in 13 because the service we don't talk about started to get hit pretty hard at the end of 12/beginning of 13, and I'm not going to pay for blocks to download when theres a decent chance the download is fucked - While I have access to several private systems/indexers for it, I just went back to BT, its that much easier to manage, and I don't get pissed off if a download was wasted bandwidth - I don't download enough Linux ISO's and public domain music to pay for unlimited per month..

In short, BT is welcome that UN took a hit last year IMO - Otherwise the trend would have been the opposite - it was growing way too fast, which is why several of the larger indexes got targeted..

If it's going up, that's because people are canceling their cable/sat connections. Netflix is becoming useless fast, cause they keep losing movies instead of gaining. What else can you do but go bit torrent?

I certainly don't wanna go back to paying $20-$30 for movies I'd only watch once, and most I'll end up hating.

It's not just Netflix.. Hulu and Amazon Prime are the same way.. I ditched them all because I'm stick of the shell game.

Netflix will yank content without warning
Hulu will yank content without warning
Amazon will yank content without warning.

In order to effectively "cut cable" yet still be entertained you'd need to subscribe to all three. At that point, what's the point? They are all very well aware of the shell game they are playing.

I thought the RIAA/MPAA said piracy was down 99% this year? I'm confused.

It's not just Netflix.. Hulu and Amazon Prime are the same way.. I ditched them all because I'm stick of the shell game.

In order to effectively "cut cable" yet still be entertained you'd need to subscribe to all three. At that point, what's the point? They are all very well aware of the shell game they are playing.
Yeah because a little over 20 bucks a month for a shit ton of on demand content equates to cable bills that barely start at 35 bucks a month for very limited content and little to no on demand. And content holders are in cahoots carefully choreographing between netflix hulu and amazon to effectively pull the content you one from one and move it to another just to fuck with you. Fucking grand conspiracy.

I thought the RIAA/MPAA said piracy was down 99% this year? I'm confused.
Depends where you look and how you frame the 99% numbers don't lie but people sure do. The US has relatively low piracy rates compared to the rest of the world.

Uh... BT went up in 13 because the service we don't talk about started to get hit pretty hard at the end of 12/beginning of 13, and I'm not going to pay for blocks to download when theres a decent chance the download is fucked - While I have access to several private systems/indexers for it, I just went back to BT, its that much easier to manage, and I don't get pissed off if a download was wasted bandwidth - I don't download enough Linux ISO's and public domain music to pay for unlimited per month..

In short, BT is welcome that UN took a hit last year IMO - Otherwise the trend would have been the opposite - it was growing way too fast, which is why several of the larger indexes got targeted..

I'd just like to thank the RIAA/MPAA for saving me some money this year. I had been paying $6/mo ($72/yr) for unlimited news for years, (and would have happily continued paying it because I had everything nicely automated) but after they started throwing out take down notices like beads at mardi gras, I was enticed to finally revamp my acquisition protocols. I signed up for a VPN service that runs $32/yr...Over 50% savings!

I would've continued overpaying $40/yr and not sharing with others if not for your intervention.
#FailingUpwards

What else can you do but go bit torrent?

Yes, because God forbid anyone go without shitty TV, movies, music and games. Not indulging in the entertainment industry is totally not an option when you disagree with the distribution practices of the company offering the entertainment.

This is part of the reason why I think the MPAA/RIAA go after pirates so much, they know people can't live without their trivial entertainment, people aren't going to just stop using the content to the point where it sounds like entitlement, so they might as well try and make money off it there too.

My cable/internet/netflix total bill is about about $225/month.
Any time I get a netflix disk that they let the studio strip out the uncomressed audio track, I immediately rip it and post it on the bay just spite them.

Team America 2 should revolve around the team busting copyright infringers for the RIAA/MPAA.

Netflix's goal was never to have a library of movies made by production studios to distribute for you, it was to become their own network producing their own content for you, like HBO. They are finally starting to make this a reality with dozens of new independent programming and are more profitable than HBO for the first time this year.

Amazon Prime does have benefits other than their free instant videos. To me it is worth the free two day shipping alone, the Amazon Prime instant videos are just a bonus to me.

Amazon Prime does have benefits other than their free instant videos. To me it is worth the free two day shipping alone, the Amazon Prime instant videos are just a bonus to me.

I always thought the Instant Video was the bonus.

Free Shipping FTW

I have it for the free shipping. The video is an added bonus. Cheaper over the year than Netflix, too. I do have all three, so I'm doing ok with movies and shows.

I wouldn't mind seeing a larger catalog with some rarities, though. Pay for on-demand, not for having it in the catalog. Pirate bay and others have great on-demand stuff. You want that 1983 b-movie that you can't find except for VHS imported from Germany? It's there. You want to watch a show? It's available after it airs - in a different time zone. You can download it and finish watching it before it even airs in your time zone. In HD. Without commercials.

I'd pay more for true on-demand stuff, though. Have an episode available the same time it airs. Pay $29.99 a month for unlimited streaming. I'd go with that.

Yes, because God forbid anyone go without shitty TV, movies, music and games. Not indulging in the entertainment industry is totally not an option when you disagree with the distribution practices of the company offering the entertainment.

This is part of the reason why I think the MPAA/RIAA go after pirates so much, they know people can't live without their trivial entertainment, people aren't going to just stop using the content to the point where it sounds like entitlement, so they might as well try and make money off it there too.

Copyright was originally 14 years + 14 years upon renewal when books were printed in limited quantities and shipped over the course of weeks or months via boat, wagon or rail.
Now it lasts author's lifetime + 95 years and media is reproduced instantaneously without limitation and shipped instantaneously via electrons (or prime 2-day).
As for violation? Statutory damages of approximately 5x the annual US median household income per infraction.

Pirates imo are simply participating in a grand tradition civil disobedience because they have been sold out to corporate special interests by their own (supposed) representatives. Wars have been fought over works of art and beauty before, you would be wise not to trivialize their importance.

Copyright was originally 14 years + 14 years upon renewal when books were printed in limited quantities and shipped over the course of weeks or months via boat, wagon or rail.
Now it lasts author's lifetime + 95 years and media is reproduced instantaneously without limitation and shipped instantaneously via electrons (or prime 2-day).
As for violation? Statutory damages of approximately 5x the annual US median household income per infraction.

Pirates imo are simply participating in a grand tradition civil disobedience because they have been sold out to corporate special interests by their own (supposed) representatives. Wars have been fought over works of art and beauty before, you would be wise not to trivialize their importance.

You're leaving out the part where author's heirs routinely re-up their ancestor's copyrights to ride the gravy train.

So you think copyright should be less than 14 years + renewal because of the electrons? I'm pretty sure what most people pirate these days is far newer than 14 years.

I agree the costs for violation of copyright are absurd, but that doesn't mean I think copyright infringement is right either.
Pirates imo are simply participating in a grand tradition civil disobedience because they have been sold out to corporate special interests by their own (supposed) representatives.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Pirates, IMO, are simply participating in a grand tradition of self entitlement, where they can't possibly go without trivial entertainment so would sooner pirate it than taking a stand by simply not partaking of it which would be a far truer act of defiance to the establishment. The industry would die if no one bought the entertainment and no one pirated it thus there was no one to sue for copyright infringement.

IMO, I have no problem with the creator of a work of art/entertainment to define the terms of it's use. If you don't like the terms of use, fuck off and don't partake. If the artist wants to make it freely available, then let them make it freely available. I'm not going to get in to the whole definition of theft, but IMO piracy is a low act akin to a child sneaking in to a show, not some grand act of civil defiance.

Back