ASUS ROG MATRIX PLATINUM R9 280X Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS ROG MATRIX PLATINUM R9 280X Video Card Review - Today we take ASUS' elite R9 280X product, the ASUS ROG MATRIX PLATINUM R9 280X video card, and put its advanced power phasing and board components to the test as we harshly overclock it. We compare it to an ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II. Then we will put it head to head against the overclocked SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X.

Nice review, nice card, I really question the reasoning behind having a button on the video card to raise the fan speed to 100%, how many people are going to take the side panel off their case while gaming and push that button. Hell, something would have to be seriously wrong for a card like this to need 100% fan speed.

Pretty nice. I must say though, is it just me or did 7970 chips overclock better on average than these new 280x chips? Still , an impressive card nonetheless.

When will we see the overclocking review of the Asus 290x kyle? :)

Way too expensive at current prices.

What is AMD to do in this situation. They price their cards to be price/performance competitive, yet market demand is driving $$ up.
Also the 1080p OC vs. stock numbers are very weird. The non-OC has massively higher MIN and MAX fps, but is slower by 1fps on average then the OC. This seems bizarrely weird to me. Did some numbers get mixed up?

This was BF4 I was speaking of. I didn't go further in the review, as the first game numbers were obviously F'd up.

These card prices are killing me. I would love to drop a new card in my main rig and send the 660ti over to my htpc, but the cards just aren't worth the prices right now. Freakin miners.

On an unrelated note, have you guys ever considered getting someone to check your articles for grammar issues? The content is so good, it's too bad every article has a few of them.

This was BF4 I was speaking of. I didn't go further in the review, as the first game numbers were obviously F'd up.

BF4 is incredibly difficult to get consistent performance data from it when you are playing in a 64 player server in multiplayer mode (how most of our readers will be playing the game). Not only is the game worthy of being called Betafield 4 due to the wide variety of bugs and performance issues that it has (even though it is quite fun to play), but predicting the other 63 player's actions on a map is quite difficult. Even nuanced differences based upon who kills you can skew the data a bit (i.e. if you get killed by a chopper or die facing up, you'll get an FPS spike looking at the sky) or if you are watching the tower fall or otherwise play with C4/rockets, you'll tank your FPS. The wide variation of performance is simply how the multiplayer experience is in the game and we have documented such in other articles and the related forum posts here.

The other 4 games within the evaluation are done in single player mode across a fixed path each time and the performance should be much more consistent along the lines of your expectations.

BF4 Multiplayer run-throughs represent real-world BF4 Multiplayer gaming performance. Naturally, multiplayer run-throughs are different because the world is dynamic and different things happen with each run, spawn points are different, players are different, vehicles and usage are different, different areas are friendly or enemy, but we try to maintain as similar as a path as we can. It represents what you, the player, experiences when you sit down and play this game, which is as real-world as it gets.

We made this very clear in our Gameplay and Performance article on the game, and in each review where we use this game, right at the top, in the game description. We make it clear what to expect out of multiplayer gaming run-throughs, which is not something new, we've done this before with BF3.

That 1270 OC shows the yields have really matured from the early 7970 chips.

My launch day 7970s do about... but only with Swiftech Komodo blocks attached and in a very big loop.

Dual 8 pin pcie jacks... wow. lol.

I echo the comments of trying to get a decently priced card these days.

Good review, very nice card, I like Matrix edition cards. But that 3 Slot design is too big for me.

Now, let's work on pricing please!

Buying this card for 2560x1440 is a no no then. Ok.

Back