Reflected Eye Photos Could Help Solve Crime

HardOCP News

[H] News
Science imitating Hollywood crime dramas. Enhance...again...closer...move in...enhance....can you clean that up a bit...rotate...enhance...*BAM*... crime solved!

Reflections in the eyes of people who feature in photographs could increasingly be "mined" to help solve crimes, researchers say. Zooming in on high-megapixel images can capture recognizable images of the person taking the photo, or other people present at the time.

Subjects were photographed from a viewing distance of approximately 1 m using a Hasselblad H2D 39 megapixel digital camera (50 ISO; f8 aperture; 1/250 sec. shutter; single shot, manual focus) with 120 mm macro lens. The room was flash illuminated by two Bowens DX1000 lamps with dish reflectors, positioned side by side approximately 80 cm behind the camera, and directed upwards to exclude catch light. Two additional DX1000 flash lamps with soft boxes were positioned behind baffles on either side of the subject to illuminate the bystanders. Three volunteer bystanders, plus photographer SC and author RJ stood in an arc formation around the subject at a distance of approximately 1 m

The odds of these perfect conditions being met at a murder scene are 0 you idiots.

oh gee, super high resolution image that's really close might show details of surroundings! Who would have thought!

oh gee, super high resolution image that's really close might show details of surroundings! Who would have thought!

It only works if it's a DSLR with a good lens and a user that knows how to use it.

With that said, I've seen pictures from a d800 of a bird that at 1:1 you could see the photographer. In the original image, you could barely see the bird's eye. I don't think that 40MP camera phone is capable of those results, which may be a poor assumption.

It only works if it's a DSLR with a good lens and a user that knows how to use it.

... and is taking the picture under perfect photographic circumstances, with the full knowledge of the subject.

"Oh, crap, you're about to murder me... Hang on, let me set my camera up on a tripod, with studio lighting... No, don't worry, I won't take a picture of you, just of me, for posterity's sake, I swear. It'll just take a couple minutes. Yeah, I know you want to kill me now, just hang on, almost done. Okay, that should work. Hang on, you're messing with the light standing behind the camera, could you move over there a little? No, another foot. Okay, that should be good. Let me set the timer shot on the camera, and... taking my picture now. THEN you can kill me. Oh, and can you make sure that the picture I just took gets sent to 'police at my local police department dot com' for me? Thanks."

The odds of these perfect conditions being met at a murder scene are 0 you idiots.

lol yeah. As long as all future crimes are committed inside photography studios at just the right angle, crime solved!

They only thought about this now? Seems like common sense to me.

Of course this only works if it was taken with a high enough res camera, and one that takes quality pics. Ex: a DSLR vs a camera phone.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]NO, just NO. Some people still think it's about megapixels. It is not just about the sensor. Put a toy lens on a pro DSRL and see what you get..

Without better optics there won`t be any gains, just higher resolution distorted and degraded data (not sharp, not optically correct). Currently built in cell phone optics are horrendous - would be surprised if they can carry 8MP of sharp representation.

Right now optics are limited by physics. They have to have a certain size in order to carry the data. Perfect glass has a finite resolution, some say about 200 "lines" pr. mm. So before we see either a new paradigm in optics or bigger lenses on cell phones we won`t be seeing any of this.

[/FONT]
It's too bad she won't live. But then again... who does?

Nice one!

keep zooming into the reflections back-and-forth between a person's eye and the camera lens, you will eventually enter a portal that leads to the dim-lit room where a relatively famous man eats his cheeseburgers

With that said, I've seen pictures from a d800 of a bird that at 1:1 you could see the photographer. In the original image, you could barely see the bird's eye. I don't think that 40MP camera phone is capable of those results, which may be a poor assumption.

It's a medium format DSLR. Yeah, it's an old one you can pick up on ebay for a couple thousand bucks, but the used market is limited by the new market, where the current version of the thing where the cheapest model is about $18k. Switch to the pentax MF camera which is the cheapest I am aware of, and has a similar pixel count at 40MP and a similar sensor size, and you knock that down to $7000. Plus another $5k for the lens ($4500 for the nearest pentax equivalent). Then probably another $1000 minimum in lighting rig as described.

Even though standard 35mm like DSLRs are cranking up the pixel count, I suspect sensor size factors into it as well, so no guaranteed even a DSLR will pull the same trick off with a similar pixel count.

It's a medium format DSLR. Yeah, it's an old one you can pick up on ebay for a couple thousand bucks, but the used market is limited by the new market, where the current version of the thing where the cheapest model is about $18k. Switch to the pentax MF camera which is the cheapest I am aware of, and has a similar pixel count at 40MP and a similar sensor size, and you knock that down to $7000. Plus another $5k for the lens ($4500 for the nearest pentax equivalent). Then probably another $1000 minimum in lighting rig as described.

Even though standard 35mm like DSLRs are cranking up the pixel count, I suspect sensor size factors into it as well, so no guaranteed even a DSLR will pull the same trick off with a similar pixel count.

Again, you can do this with a d800, a $3000 body, and a good lens. You don't need 40MP. If you want to pull out every bit of resolution that the d800 is capable of, you'll need a Zeiss lens, but it's doable with less lens. It's probably not doable with a 40MP camera phone (though I've never used one, so maybe I'm wrong).

Back