Gaming vs. Reality on a Race Track

HardOCP News

[H] News
This challenge pits a video gamer versus real race car driver. The funny part is, it doesn't end like you think it would. They need to do this with CoD / Battlefield players with real guns and live ammo. ;)

COD players would mostly get wrecked.. even though you can move faster than in real life in COD.... tactics destroy twitch reflexes in most instances.

There are no points for real life. The gamers would be dead in a minute. There is no structure or strategy in the games anymore.

Well that was a waste of time. I don't quite understand how this is pitting the drivers against each other, but ok.

This is a poor attempt at demonstrating the differences. Putting a gamer in front of a real car? that would show where video games fail.

As a driver and an driver instructor, this was rather stupid. Way too many factors that are not the same.

Why didn't they pit one of the best race car drivers against him? Also, how many laps did the driver get to take on the course before this race happened?

Why didn't they pit one of the best race car drivers against him? Also, how many laps did the driver get to take on the course before this race happened?

Those are the least of the problems with it, lol.

I'd rather have seen 3 actual laps in a real car by both, then taking the best lap from each and 3 virtual laps from both taking the best from each and see who consistently does best.

This is a poor attempt at demonstrating the differences. Putting a gamer in front of a real car? that would show where video games fail.

someone did this, fifth gear maybe? The gamer actually did a fantastic job although he got really sick in the car on the first run.

WTF did I just watch? I was expecting driver vs gamer, like a gamer sitting in a chair playing a game, and the driver racing for real, or perhaps the opposite of a gamer actually driving and the driver playing the game. But no, they put the gamer in the car for some fucking odd reason, just so they could chat to each other? So the gamer gets a disadvantage by being thrown around in a non-synchronous way? I could understand if they were driving in sync but not the way it played out.

Swap places. Make the gamer drive and the professional driver play the game. That'd be a better comparison. Take each other out of their element and see how it goes.

Flight sim vs. reality is close, but the feeling of the movements really helps out a lot. So, while you can learn the basics and the controls, it's not reality. You can do it, but it's definitely not the same. With the car vs. gamer in the OP, it'd be the same way. You'd have to get used to the movement and G forces (and for the other guy - used to driving without those feelings).

some pro drivers are actually using racing sims to learn tracks, some of the sims are so realistic now that they can learn unfamiliar tracks very well before a race.

but yeah, this was silly.

Tracks are laser scanned in these days, so yeah frighteningly realistic. The difference is games lie, their physics are approximations and real race drivers have enough experience to know when the game is lying to them. Using braking in game is the worst culprit amongst games being waaaay too effective and with fade, followed by everything to do with the tires never feels right especially at the limits of traction ...and beyoooond.

The challenge was stupid and proved nothing, what was the point of that?

WTF did I just watch? I was expecting driver vs gamer, like a gamer sitting in a chair playing a game, and the driver racing for real, or perhaps the opposite of a gamer actually driving and the driver playing the game. But no, they put the gamer in the car for some fucking odd reason, just so they could chat to each other? So the gamer gets a disadvantage by being thrown around in a non-synchronous way? I could understand if they were driving in sync but not the way it played out.

also im thinking, that extra 150+ lbs could slow the race car down a little.. not a big difference but enough of one...

So, you take a every day car, add in an extra seat, extra person, a full computer, monitor, stand, extra steering wheel, pedals and shifter, all of which add weight. And then pit it against a video game car that only LOOKS the same, the car in the game has nothing like real life control or physics or power, putting the kid in the same car as the real driver and seeing how he did would be something else, this was just a waste of time.

I'm sure glad we now know that if you are good at video games you insantly have experience in real life....

haha I wonder what the COD/Battlefield version of this is like. Too many trash talkers claim their skills behind their monitors equate to them being of amazing fitness and keen intelligence....lol

So stupid.

They didn't even have 5 pt. harnesses in the car.

Anyone who has ever been in a car that can do 1+ lateral G knows how stupid this is.

The difference is games lie, their physics are approximations and real race drivers have enough experience to know when the game is lying to them. Using braking in game is the worst culprit amongst games being waaaay too effective and with fade, followed by everything to do with the tires never feels right especially at the limits of traction ...and beyoooond.

Yep professional racing teams with their own simulators have struggled with simulating tires and physics, so even the very realistic sims with laser scanned tracked are never going to be quite the same as reality. The tiniest difference in the physics can make a much better laptime possible.

I don't know why they didn't just have them both do a lap with the real car, and both do a lap in the simulator. This test seems pretty pointless. It's not really a "race" when both competitors aren't on the same course.

Would have been more interesting if the race car driver had been playing the game and the gamer had been driving the car. :D

Would have been more interesting if the race car driver had been playing the game and the gamer had been driving the car. :D

Then you'd have 2 dead people when the car crashed with the gamer driving the real car :D

some pro drivers are actually using racing sims to learn tracks, some of the sims are so realistic now that they can learn unfamiliar tracks very well before a race.

Is that a joke? All teams have expensive simulators, not games. I doubt it's only F1 teams.

I feel bad for the Driver and kinda embarrassed by the "Gamer" yelling at the game in the first turns. Firstly , gamer, don't be that stereotypical guy yelling at the game with nerd rage, and 2nd, It would have really sucked if the real drive crashed or went off track from this gamer yelling during a critical turn.

This could have been better if the simulator was controlling the real car or if they switched roles to see if the gamer could drive the real car better then the drive could control the virtual one

...if they switched roles to see if the gamer could drive the real car better then the drive could control the virtual one

I personally don't think that would be an interesting test. Games give very few hints at what the car is actually doing, so the only way to get good at a game is practice at that particular game long enough to understand it's peculiarities. So going from driving real cars to games, unless you have particular prior experience with those games isn't really a worthwhile test of abilities.

The Video from the Top gear test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yJBXcxRTZY

This is more interesting IMO. They took a top simulation driver and put him in a real car. He ended up puking and sick, but he turned in good lap times. Within 3 seconds of the racers with years of experience and it was his first time in a race car and he was not feeling well.

Interesting idea, but poor execution. There's no reason why the gamer needed to be in the car. The driver's turning that was not in sync with his race was clearly messing him up. Anyway, kudos for the gamer to beat the real racer, which is what I expected. I don't know why Steve thought it would end any other way.

I agree with one of the YT comments that I'd like to see the 2 guys change seats and see who'd win.

Back