Online Holiday Spending Up, But Not As Much As Expected

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you turn a positive story (holiday spending up 10%) into a negative? Easy, just let analysts and market research firms get involved. :rolleyes:

Shoppers who made purchases via their desktop computers spent 10 percent more this holiday season than last, according to ComScore, but that was less than the 14 percent increase it had expected.

i heard online shopping was at least up about %35 according to CNN, but i guess that is over all shopping, not actual money spent?

I think analysts are only right 14% of the time... I'm always hearing "Analysts believe...." and crap spews afterwards. The PC was dead a decade or two ago. Gaming was dead. Yet, sales are stronger than ever. Perhaps these analysts need to find a new job, or those that bet on what analysts say need to find a new source.

I once again did pretty much all of my shopping online... the only thing I didn't do online was picked up a few plastic Amazon gc's.

I think analysts are only right 14% of the time... I'm always hearing "Analysts believe...." and crap spews afterwards. The PC was dead a decade or two ago. Gaming was dead. Yet, sales are stronger than ever. Perhaps these analysts need to find a new job, or those that bet on what analysts say need to find a new source.

That said, pc sales have been going down for the past few years. maybe not the decades or so. But they are starting to die off now.

but yeah, they do like to spew shit. they also like to do shit like this. They did the same for Microsoft and Apple when they hit record quarterly sales. Complained that well they did have their best periods ever, however they didn't break their old records by as much as they thought they were going to.

In economics you being wrong, isn't the fault of your models or predictions, it is the world's fault.

You predicted x company will increase sales by y amount and they didn't? Don't worry, it wasn't you, they were just underperforming. Afraid someone with a background in mathematics or hard science will call you out on your bullshit, don't worry CNBC and 20 other networks will back up weak analysis. Plus, whomever publishes their analysis first will generally get copied by most other analysts, so they will back you as well.

According to UPS and FedEx, shipping (which is mostly a result of online purchases) was up higher than anticipated, which is partially their excuse for missing pre-12/25 deliveries.

The rich aren't getting richer as fast as we expected. THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE ECONOMY IS DOOMED!

Does that about sum it up?

Back