MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G and R9 290X GAMING 4G Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
The long expected MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G and R9 290X GAMING 4G are now available. Packed with all of the power and features to drive UltraHD gaming resolutions the MSI Twin Frozr IV Advanced now ensures your card runs cool so you can enjoy maximum performance because AMD’s PowerTune technology enables the R9 290 GAMING 4G and R9 290X GAMING 4G to run at their highest clock speeds. With support for the latest industry standards and exciting new technology such as Mantle support in Battlefield 4. Thanks to the bundled MSI GAMING App gamers can quickly switch between three pre-sets including a silent mode optimized for power efficiency and an overclocking and OC Mode to get the most power out of your graphics card, without worrying about learning how to overclock. The R9 290 GAMING 4G and R9 290X GAMING 4G have been designed to give you a gaming experience that delivers you true next-gen performance for ultra HD resolutions without sacrificing on thermals to kick-start your gaming rig for 2014.

And are these unreasonably inflated in price too? If so no thanks!! AMD can keep selling their gaming cards to miners at inflated prices while team green can have my money.

Hmm, lets see who actually comes out with enough stock to finally satisfy demand!

Prices can be recouped easily enough, but we need more production!

And are these unreasonably inflated in price too? If so no thanks!! AMD can keep selling their gaming cards to miners at inflated prices while team green can have my money.

Doesn't the retailer and AIB partner set the prices?

If the demand is high and supply is low because of these cryptocurrency miners, wouldn't it be the retailer's fault for raising the prices and NOT AMD?

I don't know what more AMD can do to reduce the price without cutting into their own profits, or dictating to a retailer like Newegg, Amazon, or NCIX to stop raising prices which might be illegal..

Doesn't the retailer and AIB partner set the prices?

If the demand is high and supply is low because of these cryptocurrency miners, wouldn't it be the retailer's fault for raising the prices and NOT AMD?

I don't know what more AMD can do to reduce the price without cutting into their own profits, or dictating to a retailer like Newegg, Amazon, or NCIX to stop raising prices which might be illegal..

You're correct. The retail partner sets the final price based on demand.

Just bought 2 x Gigabyte R9 290's for $389 each at Microcenter and an MSI R9 290x for $555 or $559 as well.

Amazon, Microcenter, the larger chains do not price-rape.

Just bought 2 x Gigabyte R9 290's for $389 each at Microcenter and an MSI R9 290x for $555 or $559 as well.

I am not sure about that but I do not feel like paying a racket called sales tax....

AMD sold me a 290 for 399 with a free copy of BF4.

Blame the e-tailers.

So glad I jumped on the $499 290x's from NewEgg when I had the chance...
I considered waiting for AIB but at this rate I would have been without cards for 2-3 more months waiting for the prices to drop. Amazon and NewEgg are the primary culprits here, along with Litecoin mining, not AMD. Blaming AMD for the current jacked up prices would be like blaming the gouging on NVIDIA for having cards that suck at mining. In the end, the e-tailors profit how they see fit. If you have a problem with it don't support them. Don't blame the wrong guys...

Last edited:
I was about to say. Now available? NCIX is showing Feb availability, other retailers showing third week of Jan.

I don't understand how MSI defines "now available". Maybe it's "now available" in Taiwan or something, but not anywhere else. ;)

Definitely it's news that enthusiasts want to hear, when a third party cooling solution 290 is released, but really?... posting MSI's press release word for word?

Wow, at least Yahoo puts an "adsense" bug on their inline news article ads and even those irk me because they look so much like *real* articles.

I wouldn't be so pissed off if [H] had written the ditty themselves (A simple, "Hey HardOCPers, Look a 290 with a third party cooler!" would have sufficed,) rather than just pasting MSI's "full-of-crappy-marketing-speak-buzzwords" press release word for word in the "news" item.

I suppose they haven't even sent out press samples yet... Unless those are going out now along with retail cards.
I assume "Now Available" means the cards have shipped.

I suppose they haven't even sent out press samples yet... Unless those are going out now along with retail cards.
I assume "Now Available" means the cards have shipped.

It does not mean much, the idea is that you can tell people they have shipped but to where, what is next youtube of trucks arriving with the 290x at the shops ?

It is torture they should not be allowed to do these things. And yes after stupid unboxing videos I'm advocating filming the delivery trucks as well :) go youtubers go :)

DUDE! Amazon is the BIGGEST offender out there...
Newegg has better prices on 290x's by up to a $100.....:rolleyes:

DUDE! Amazon is the BIGGEST offender out there...
Newegg has better prices on 290x's by up to a $100.....:rolleyes:

Most of the time those HUGE HUGE markups aren't actually being sold and fulfilled by Amazon themselves (usually a third party). I do agree with you though that Amazon is always marking up with other e-tailers.

So, these are still semi-custom, ref PCB + custom cooler, right?
Realistically we've only seen the Sapphire 290 reviewed and it's fully reference.
Based on posted pictures (not an actual review) the MSI 290 is using a ref board with a few changes. Hard to say unless someone who knows what they're talking about gets their hands on the card.

The ASUS 290x is a fully custom PCB.

Windforce 290x has also been reviewed but it's a German site.

Okay but what are the problems with the reference models, it is the cooling for the most people the noise is something which is coupled to that.

Then what part can AIB do to cut costs or have better synergy with cooling and a new pcb ? If they can't a new cooler on the reference design should work good enough.

If AMD reference design was so bad then no one would use it.

Okay but what are the problems with the reference models, it is the cooling for the most people the noise is something which is coupled to that.

Then what part can AIB do to cut costs or have better synergy with cooling and a new pcb ? If they can't a new cooler on the reference design should work good enough.

If AMD reference design was so bad then no one would use it.

Wut.

Non-reference coolers on reference PCBs will provide vastly improved cooling ability. Some AIBs have/will release non-ref PCBs (DC2T, Lightning) which provide for better cooling and better overclocking ability.

Most of the time those HUGE HUGE markups aren't actually being sold and fulfilled by Amazon themselves (usually a third party). I do agree with you though that Amazon is always marking up with other e-tailers.

This, I see a 290x from xfx for $570 right now when they're all over $620 on newegg. Granted I did the search and saw 5 left, then clicked the link and there's only 2 left...

This, I see a 290x from xfx for $570 right now when they're all over $620 on newegg. Granted I did the search and saw 5 left, then clicked the link and there's only 2 left...

I wouldn't touch an XFX anything with a ten foot pole anymore. How the mighty have fallen.

Back