YouTube Responds To Content ID Mess

HardOCP News

[H] News
YouTube has responded to the whole Content ID debacle with a very well thought out apology and the company has extended an olive branch to all those affected. Heh, just kidding! The contents of the e-mail = screw off, we don't care.

You might have heard about, or been impacted by an increase in copyright claims made on videos over the past week. We're getting in touch to explain what's happening and how you can get back to creating and monetizing great videos.

From another poster elsewhere, warning: depressing but true:
Let me set this record straight: Any competitor that attempts to take on YouTube, succeeds in getting content, and has policies better than YouTube's, will be sued into the ground by the companies that were already suing YouTube into the ground. I'm not saying most of that suit would be legitimate: It doesn't have to be. But you can't run a company and just shrug it off: You have to defend yourself.

They will be sued, and sued, and sued, over and over again, for every legitimate and illegitimate thing anyone can possibly think of, and they will immediately go bankrupt just from the cost involved from defending against it. Why has YouTube survived this long? Because Google has a lot of money, too. Now Google is tired of spending it on defense, so they threw up their hands, said "fuck it", and here we go.

Stop thinking anyone can compete with YouTube. It's physically possible: But no competitor will be any better with regard to current issues. They simply can't. They would cease to exist in less than a year as soon as the reticle fell upon them. They could follow every relevant law, especially the DMCA, to the most minute letter, and still these companies would sue, because they can. Nobody is going to stop them from doing it, because "if you've not committed any crime, if you defend yourself, you're fine and carry on"...except for the cost involved in defending yourself.

So let's say a law gets passed: If you sue somebody and lose, even if you're a huge company like Viacom or WMG, you have to pay all associated costs, plus damages for time lost of staff hours spent in the process. Yay. Seems great, right?

Here's the thing: You can still lose. All it takes is one technologically-inept judge, or some miniscule fine-print contract element nobody noticed...or even one of your uploaders lying to you in a convincing manner with fake documentation about their licensing...for you to lose one suit. Now, not only are you out whatever you got judged against you, now this fancy new law makes you pay the legal fees of the big company as well as its time lost.

There is no hope. Give up. This is the new way of things, and unless the entire copyright law/treaty/etc. system of the entire United States Of America (as well as its procedures of law) got revolutionized completely and immediately, there is nothing anyone can do. This will not change.

Money talks.

Why isn't Google relocating Youtube to a country with more amenable (to it) copyright laws?

From another poster elsewhere, warning: depressing but true:

Their is a reason why companies are leaving america and moving to 1st world countries for hosting where silly laws like DMCA and paying legal fees for being sued don't exist.

and then big media bullies our government to force trade sanctions or other means of harming their economy, on the country the company moves to unless that country's government complies with big media's demands.

Big media is using our government as a weapon to beat other countries into compliance with what big media bribes our government to pass and enforce.

Saw [/url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nvzA-jM19c&feature=share&list=UU__Oy3QdB3d9_FHO_XG1PZg&index=1]this today from Reviewtechusa[/url] and now thinking about it the only solution is to sue. Sue Google, sue individual companies, I don't know but if money talks I'm sure someone has no problem putting up the capital to set things straight.

Cause right now there's a grey area on how copyright and fair use works. Technically, all companies would lose that lawsuit, and people can post videos of games all day long without issue. I guarantee you that they don't want to go to court, cause they'd lose. Companies want this grey area, cause it works in their favor.

I'm sure right now that somebody is already working on a lawsuit over this.

and then big media bullies our government to force trade sanctions or other means of harming their economy, on the country the company moves to unless that country's government complies with big media's demands.

Big media is using our government as a weapon to beat other countries into compliance with what big media bribes our government to pass and enforce.

If they US had that much power then why has thepiratebay kept its IP address for so long, whilst their domain gets taken down they keep the same IP address.

Now a legitimate video hosting service would be fine as long as they complied with local laws.

Fair use is fair use. I believe the courts have already decided this. The problem is.....companies have deep pockets and will litigate you into bankruptcy. They know this. It works. They win.

It doesn't have to be that way, but......The congress critters won't change the system. Why? Ask yourself how many people get elected to congress and a few years later are multi-millionaires. All this on a $174K salary.

It wasn't until 1815 that members of congress got an ANNUAL salary. Before that, you got $6.00 for each day congress was in session. Time to bring THAT back.

It doesn't have to be that way, but......The congress critters won't change the system. Why? Ask yourself how many people get elected to congress and a few years later are multi-millionaires. All this on a $174K salary.

It wasn't until 1815 that members of congress got an ANNUAL salary. Before that, you got $6.00 for each day congress was in session. Time to bring THAT back.

This is how they get away with it.

Saw [/url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nvzA-jM19c&feature=share&list=UU__Oy3QdB3d9_FHO_XG1PZg&index=1]this today from Reviewtechusa[/url] and now thinking about it the only solution is to sue. Sue Google, sue individual companies, I don't know but if money talks I'm sure someone has no problem putting up the capital to set things straight.

Cause right now there's a grey area on how copyright and fair use works. Technically, all companies would lose that lawsuit, and people can post videos of games all day long without issue. I guarantee you that they don't want to go to court, cause they'd lose. Companies want this grey area, cause it works in their favor.

I'm sure right now that somebody is already working on a lawsuit over this.

Well, we have a system right now where lawsuits can be used as a form of extortion. Because of the American Rule, I can sue you for whatever I want, even if I don't have a valid claim that would stand even the slightest chance in court, and win or lose, you'll still be worse off due to attorney fees (there are a few exemptions).

This has stifled innovation as larger companies can pretty much crush smaller competition through threats of lawsuits (especially with the appeals process), and in order to fight it, you need extremely deep pockets. You also need deep pockets if you plan on attacking people this way. In the end, it's just cheaper to settle. Try to prove fair use? Good luck. Remember, there are millions of more battles you'll have to defend, and there are almost certainly thousands of blatantly copyright violated videos to begin with if they need to prove a point.

Back