UPS Leaves Christmas Present In Trash Can

HardOCP News

[H] News
UPS leaves Christmas present in trash can....wait for it....wait for it...on trash day!

A Barnhart mother believes her daughter's Christmas present was accidentally thrown away. Tracey Sole found a UPS notice in her mailbox indicating a package was delivered in, ‘In black trash can.’ Sole says the package was delivered on trash day. She believes it was thrown away before she got home. The package was an Android tablet.

Sounds like they saved her the trouble of figuring out on her own that most Android tablets are trash.

Just finished a 72-hour clusterfuck with UPS insisting over and over with increased irritation that they delivered my package to my front door, while I was home, end of story.

Couple days later, they recovered my package from the wrong building and ACTUALLY brought it to my front door.

I really fucking hate that Amazon relies on them for their Prime shipping.

UPS delivered a package to my brother once.
Dropped it over the fence into the bushes of a patio and didn't put a notice on the door.

He found it a few days later (after checking tracking), with the box wet from the rain and half eaten by snails. Luckly the item was sealed in plastic.

Just finished a 72-hour clusterfuck with UPS insisting over and over with increased irritation that they delivered my package to my front door, while I was home, end of story.

Couple days later, they recovered my package from the wrong building and ACTUALLY brought it to my front door.

That's lame. My local UPS has always been great, but Amazon relies on OnTrac here in California now...Holy shit talk about horrible. First they deliver my package to the wrong house(and say they delivered it to mine) and the next time they just don't deliver one day for no reason and I have to wait an additional day. 2-day shipping is pretty unreliable now :mad:

Sounds like they saved her the trouble of figuring out on her own that most Android tablets are trash.

The Asus tablet I bought last year has been great after a year of heavy use.

Even better I haven't been mugged by some lowlife wanting to steal my iDevice :)

Nobody orders Windows tablets.

I dunno. The new wave of Gen 4 Intel ones are pretty spiffy. For the super cheap, there is the Asus T100 (plays games, runs x86 Windows). You can get a much nicer DELL Venue 11 that blows away the Surface 2 Pro (11" 1080p screen, up to 18hr battery life with keyboard dock, up to i5 processor, 4Gb RAM). It's also $150 cheaper than the Surface Pro 2.

That's lame. My local UPS has always been great, but Amazon relies on OnTrac here in California now...Holy shit talk about horrible. First they deliver my package to the wrong house(and say they delivered it to mine) and the next time they just don't deliver one day for no reason and I have to wait an additional day. 2-day shipping is pretty unreliable now :mad:

I'd report it to Amazon. If they get enough of them missing the 2-day, they'd likely force a change.

From what I have learned, Amazon takes customer service very serious. UPS once "lost" a $200 water heater part (large box, mind you) - UPS claimed delivery, my video cameras saw otherwise. Took one call to Amazon for them to get a replacement out overnight, they handled the rest with UPS.

Amazon was actually quite good about it. They offered a refund but it wasn't their fault, it was UPS' fault...and they, of course, basically told me to fuck off and get the supplier to contact them about a missing package and then they'd open an investigation that would take a few weeks and blah blah fuck you consumer swine.

yeah... OnTrac is like.. well, all bets are off. If I get anything with Saturday delivery from Amazon with them it usually shows up on Monday. At least they make it to the porch though. :p

So... leave it in a trash can and it gets thrown away and you get bad publicity or leave it on the doorstep and let it get swiped by some jackass and you still get bad publicity. Seems you're damned no matter what you do if you're UPS. This is why I never arrange for the delivery of anything I really care about unless I know someone is home to take delivery of it. I know the whole, "well not everyone can take off work for every package" blah, blah, and I totally agree. But if you let UPS deliver something expensive that you paid a lot of money for to your home when no one is there to take delivery then you bear part of the blame if that package never makes it into your hands because some lowlife scarfs off with it before you get home. You can make other arrangements to make sure you get your stuff.

but there is no guarantee it will make it to Barnhart by Christmas.
Where did the tablet come from? China? Because it should be able to get there by Christmas.

All tablets are garbage unless they run full Windows.

I dunno. The new wave of Gen 4 Intel ones are pretty spiffy. For the super cheap, there is the Asus T100 (plays games, runs x86 Windows). You can get a much nicer DELL Venue 11 that blows away the Surface 2 Pro (11" 1080p screen, up to 18hr battery life with keyboard dock, up to i5 processor, 4Gb RAM). It's also $150 cheaper than the Surface Pro 2.

Yea, I'd argue that the top end W8 tablets are, by far, the most useful tablets on the market.

I'm waiting for the Lenovo Helix with Haswell so I can get it delivered to the wrong house.

No wonder if that was one of those cheap Archos Tablets, would of ended there eventually, saves her a lot of time.

Their business is logistics. Would it kill them to include a 2-hour delivery window in the tracking on the day of delivery?

Yeah those UPS guys work long shifts for crappy pay.... but leaving it IN a trash can? That is just crazy. He had to walk up to her door to put the notice sticker on it... why not leave it at the door?

So... leave it in a trash can and it gets thrown away and you get bad publicity or leave it on the doorstep and let it get swiped by some jackass and you still get bad publicity. Seems you're damned no matter what you do if you're UPS. This is why I never arrange for the delivery of anything I really care about unless I know someone is home to take delivery of it. I know the whole, "well not everyone can take off work for every package" blah, blah, and I totally agree. But if you let UPS deliver something expensive that you paid a lot of money for to your home when no one is there to take delivery then you bear part of the blame if that package never makes it into your hands because some lowlife scarfs off with it before you get home. You can make other arrangements to make sure you get your stuff.

I don't know what shithole you live in that results in every package left on a porch being stolen, but stop making excuses for UPS considering they "hid" a package IN THE FUCKING TRASH CAN.

Yeah those UPS guys work long shifts for crappy pay.... but leaving it IN a trash can? That is just crazy. He had to walk up to her door to put the notice sticker on it... why not leave it at the door?

They do offer that, for their like 40$/year membership + 5$/package fee. But its limited to certain times. like 3:30-5:30 4:30-6:30 and 5:30-7:30 all PM

To me it might be worth it if they had an AM one too. :/

I can't believe no one posted this:

GarbageDay.jpg

Some of their sellers use USPS. I just had a package sent to me via USPS, with delivery confirmation. I elected the text notification method when I checked out. Package marked as delivered on 10 Dec. I already had a refund processing when USPS finally decided to deliver it......FOUR days later. WTF is the point of delivery notification if you don't actually deliver the package when you send the notice?

If you had read the article you would know that this took place in Barnhart, Missouri. It's about 25 miles outside of St. Louis and is a town of 5,600 people as of 2010 census. She has a higher chance of her package being stolen by squirrels than some random person. This was sheer laziness or stupidity on part of the UPS driver. There were probably a dozen other options available to him. They may not have been the best options, but anything would have been better than in the trash can. He could have hastily thrown it under a doormat, hid in the bushes next to house, taken it to the side of the house (assuming no fence blocking the path), he could have even attempted to deliver another day. Any option would have been better than the trash can.

yeah... OnTrac is like.. well, all bets are off. If I get anything with Saturday delivery from Amazon with them it usually shows up on Monday. At least they make it to the porch though. :p

Odd... OnTrac is usually awesome for me.

I bought tires and wheels from TireRack sent OnTrac. They were delivered Sunday morning with no special shipping costs or rush shipment or anything.

So... leave it in a trash can and it gets thrown away and you get bad publicity or leave it on the doorstep and let it get swiped by some jackass and you still get bad publicity. Seems you're damned no matter what you do if you're UPS.

Are you serious? Leaving it the trash can is a retarded move even if it's not trash day. Who on earth wants to fish a package out of a stinky trash can. The fact that it was trash day just makes shows the delivery guy went full retard.

I love that the woman states to the news that she cried all night. Common it wasn't a cure for cancer in that box or your kids insulin. It was an Android Tablet. Call Amazon and have them fix it. People get their panties in a bunch too often, call customer service and act like a human being.

Yes the UPS driver is an idiot for putting any package in the trash (assuming this woman didn't just pull a fast one.) But getting all hysterical isn't worth your time. There are too many real problems in life to worry about something like this.

I love that the woman states to the news that she cried all night. Common it wasn't a cure for cancer in that box or your kids insulin. It was an Android Tablet. Call Amazon and have them fix it. People get their panties in a bunch too often, call customer service and act like a human being.

Yes the UPS driver is an idiot for putting any package in the trash (assuming this woman didn't just pull a fast one.) But getting all hysterical isn't worth your time. There are too many real problems in life to worry about something like this.

Eh, some people have emotional issues, depression, etc.

Ontrac is awesome in Vegas.

If it comes from Cali or AZ, its here in 2 days almost always.

UPS has gotten bad recently for us, not the handling, but the increasingly frequent delays. 24-hour "Out for Delivery" status :(

UPS stands for un predictable service. When I saw the Amazon drones, I pictured UPS following up with drones that smash boxes into the houses they are delivering to.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Eh, they have their uses. I sometimes use my phone to watch HBO when I'm in bed and often wish I had a bigger screen. I don't see the appeal of a tablet for doing anything really productive though, I would rather use a laptop for that.

Back