Study Says Heavy Online Use Can Cause Anxiousness

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you feeling a bit anxious right now? How long have you been online? Is that normal use for you? Uh oh. :eek:

College students reading this story and others online for hours may become more anxious and less happy. A new Kent State University study says college students who spend hours each day online, texting or talking on cellphones are more anxious, less happy and get lower grades.

LOL.

Because not doing homework and wasting time couldn't be the problem, regardless of where the wasted time goes?

I'd be anxious if I wasn't doing my homework too.

If we were reading the same story from a newspaper, or watching it on TV, would it have the same effect?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that the internet allows us to absorb news and information at a faster rate than every before, and most of that news and information is really depressing and soul-draining and heart-destroying?

I concur with the story, though, that is why you get off your ass and get up from the system. Sitting there 8 hours straight WILL drive you nuts.

I'm on a computer literally all day between my job and then my hobbies. I have a steady girlfriend and a 3.8GPA in my Master's program. I don't understand why people just can't take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences.

If we were reading the same story from a newspaper, or watching it on TV, would it have the same effect?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that the internet allows us to absorb news and information at a faster rate than every before, and most of that news and information is really depressing and soul-draining and heart-destroying?

I'm guessing it has EVERYTHING to do with that. My wife is big on the news, and I can watch her mood change as she reads things, and since 90% of it is bad... well, I try to discourage her from reading the news. It has nothing to do with it being online, nor does she spend too much time doing it. The effect is noticeable however.

I'm guessing it has EVERYTHING to do with that. My wife is big on the news, and I can watch her mood change as she reads things, and since 90% of it is bad... well, I try to discourage her from reading the news. It has nothing to do with it being online, nor does she spend too much time doing it. The effect is noticeable however.

For the past few months I've been able to break my news junkie routine by having GTA 5 dominate my life.

The effect is rather profound.

Ha-Ha...;) They're less happy because they are making poor grades and they know they should be studying instead of playing games, and that, of course, makes them anxious and worried. Very simple. It would be a very bad thing if they were not anxious and worried about their grades while mom & pop and/or the government is shelling out $40k a year for them to attend college and study. Nothing has changed about college except its cost has blown through the roof and gone into orbit. It's positively insane, today. In my day we didn't have any personal computers (my only computer science course *available* taught data punch) but were nevertheless never lacking activities to pursue that could be very distracting at times...!

Folks today seem to get so many things bass ackwards...:rolleyes: Believe me, much happiness and well-being accompanies the college student who keeps his grades up--it's automatic and computer use doesn't figure into it any more than watching TV does.

Being anxious about things that make you anxious can make you anxious.

I dont think its the heavy online use thats the problem, its the not doing other things.
If someone comes round to see you, put the bloody phone/internet down.
You can still do heavy online use and be happy/sane, dont let it rule you.

I felt anxious and depressed when I was at college, that was before I had internet access though, I think it was more to do with getting buried under assignments, and ridiculous due dates...and being stuck with a bunch of douchcopter dick bags, otherwise known as classmates.

/thread

I find switching away from news for awhile if I'm feeling stressed is a huge help. I like being informed and knowing things, but if life is throwing me curveballs, I don't need whatever random emotions the news is going to give me too.

Back