EVGA 500B 500W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
EVGA 500B 500W Power Supply Review - Not everyone needs a huge honkin' 1500 watt computer power supply. In fact many specialty builds need smaller power supplies, but even then is the "cheapest" way to go the right way? Certainly not. EVGA offers up a sub-$50 500 watt PSU that touts Bronze level efficiency so let's see how it fares when put to the test.

Did EVGA send you a sample? That would be new.

Looks like a relatively solid little unit, other then the crapXcon hold up cap. Those rarely fail though, so I guess thats ok.

Did EVGA send you a sample? That would be new.

Looks like a relatively solid little unit, other then the crapXcon hold up cap. Those rarely fail though, so I guess thats ok.

No, we purchased it.

Correction to article, article say this is the smallest W capacity PS from EVGA, not true, there is a 100-W1-0430-KR listed on Newegg w/430W.

Hrm... building a basic rig for a little brother, might be a good option.
By the way, in the 2nd to last paragraph there is a sentence ending with:

was thoroughly uninspiring functional.
Should read:
" was thoroughly and uninspiringly functional."
or
" was thoroughly uninspiring, functionally."

Good to see EVGA making progress with their power supplies. I see that they have cancelled the problematic 1500 watt version as well.

I actually jumped on one of their 1000 watt models on Cyber Monday because it only cost $110AR + $5 shipping. So far it seems to work OK, but I do miss the silent idle operation of my AX850 that moved to the HTPC. The platinum version included the hybrid fan mode, but it didn't seem to be worth spending that much more money over the sale price of a gold rated unit.

Phew, glad to see that this unit got a passing grade. I just used one to build my mom's (cheap) new computer. Was $25 w/FS at the Egg after rebate when I got it.

"Not everyone needs a huge honkin' 1500 watt computer power supply."

Indeed, if truth be known 80%+ here would probably get buy just fine with a good 500w.

"Not everyone needs a huge honkin' 1500 watt computer power supply."

Indeed, if truth be known 80%+ here would probably get buy just fine with a good 500w.

Still, many would be running at 75% capacity or higher. That would almost certainly have a negative effect on the lifespan of the unit.

I ordered this as a PSU to sit in my closet as a test unit. I had to use my last test unit as a replacement for a corsair CX600 that failed out of nowhere on my sister's PC. That CX600 was a disappointment, as that PC was hardly ever used, and in a low end build.

Last edited:
HEC still scares me. Wouldn't a Corsair CX-430 or CX-500 do the trick for around the same price? I've owned EVGA products in the past & I must admit their customer service always treated me well. Maybe HEC has stepped-up.

Back