Did You Miss the Bitcoin Boat?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If the answer to that question was yes and you feel like kicking yourself in the rear, fear not; it’s still not too late to get in on the action because there are other alternative cryptocurrencies out there just waiting to takeoff just like Bitcoin.

Luckily, Bitcoin isn’t the only cryptocurrency on the block. Thanks to its rising success, a variety of so-called “altcoins” have popped out of nowhere – and some of them are downright bargains.

No i did not miss the boat on an erratic as shit unstable currency that you'll probably have problems trading in bulk for real legal tender.

Yep, I missed that boat but I'm in a fee others that might work out. Now if I can get my computer fixed i may be able to actually keep up on them...

Off topic but I have to say I am pissed the Bitcoin boat ever started. I want a frigging 7970 and can't get one for less then $300 compared to $220 before. And not for Bitcoin, I want a 7970 for gaming.

Lets see what other boats I "missed". I didn't buy Apple stock way back when, or Yahoo, or Google, or any other of dotcom bubble companies, that one time when I went to Vegas I also didn't stand when I hit.... I mean yeah sure.

Be wary that some of these cryptocurrencies are "pump and dump" scamcoins that are designed to be manipulated.

I'm surprised they mention Quark as it seems to be one of the less reputable out there, according to many in the community.

Litecoin, Feathercoin, Namecoin, and Anoncoin seem to be some of the best out there.

Off topic but I have to say I am pissed the Bitcoin boat ever started. I want a frigging 7970 and can't get one for less then $300 compared to $220 before. And not for Bitcoin, I want a 7970 for gaming.

Bitcoin isn't the reason for amd cards demand that's ltc.

I got on the boat, got off the boat when it seemed like the ship wasn't going anywhere, and arrived home only to find that I had missed out on a fortune.

Now I've got my own boat...but it's about the size and condition of the Orca. But dammit...I'll find him.

I sold all my coins when the price jumped to $30 and made about 3k. My friend never sold his and hasn't been keeping up with the price. I bumped into him last week and he thought they were still worth about $30. I asked how many coins he still has and it turns out he has just over 100.... Lucky bastard.

I highly suggest everyone buy Litecoins. I swear it has nothing to do with increasing the value of the ones I already have.

I wouldn't sink too much money into this, it could collapse any second as it's a speculative market.

If anyone wants to answer some noob questions:
If I am to get PCI-e 1X to 16X risers, am I needing them with molex adapters? I know the PS has only so many, so if there were 6 cards on a board split between two/three PS then I don't think that would be necessary right?
Also how do I calculate how many PS needed for system plus cards? Is it better to go with 3/500W or go for a bigger PS plus one smaller?

choo choo motherfucker

I think that is a train....a boat makes more of a tooot sound. :D

On topic though, a couple of years ago I almost put 2thousand into bitcoin........but I didn't. I'm not kicking myself or anything, but woulda been nice if I bought it back then.

I think that is a train....a boat makes more of a tooot sound. :D

why yes, yes it is, and I do not advise missing it

choo-choo-motherfucker.jpg

Oh no. How about NO to Bitcoin? And especially a huge NO to Bitcoin "mining", giving idiots a reason to hack systems to "mine". "Mining" is defined by making your setup use a bunch of electricity for your GPU to calculate very hard mathematical calculations, which someone makes you a coin. Yeah. Or, how about just no.

I never really understood it.
Computer crunches numbers to make a coin. What's the purpose? What does this calculating do?
It's like someone wants to pay me to roll a stone around the yard.

It would make sense if you got coins for doing something with a point, like coins for folding or something.

World governments are eventually gonna fuck all this up so I think I'll stand clear.

No i did not miss the boat on an erratic as shit unstable currency that you'll probably have problems trading in bulk for real legal tender.

Way to be closed minded. I made $2000 off bitcoin, i sold most of them for an average of $6 as i mined them (about 300~). I didnt know if they were going to take off or not, and the truth was i couldn't afford to speculate anyway. I came away from bitcoin mining with a few left over gaming computers a couple 7970's that completely paid for themselves.

Last week i found out about litecoin and bought 3 r9 290s. this time i am going to sell 75% of what i mine, and hold 25% in various coins in the hopes that one of them even makes it to $5 this time next year. at current rates, litecoin is WAYYYYY more profitable then btc ever was.

Computer crunches numbers to make a coin. What's the purpose? What does this calculating do?

It would make sense if you got coins for doing something with a point, like coins for folding or something.

There are actually alternate coins that have additional features - the most notable of which are Namecoin (which is essentially not just a currency but a distributed, censorship-and-tracking-free DNS system), Anoncoin (which has additional privacy features built in, including Tor/I2P at many layers of the system if the user wishes). There are also those like Primecoin which focus on finding prime numbers, and some others that have scientific work pursuits, but many of them aren't as established as some of the other currencies.

As far as the purpose of Bitcoin or Litecoin themselves, it would probably be better to read it on their own pages - essentially, there are a lot of economic arguments as to why they can be useful. From speculation and exchange, to just plain use cases (ie buying things online in traceable/verifiable to the currency level, without having to give up any information regarding your real world identity - one reason BitCoin grew was the exchange of illicit goods, for this reason, but there are plenty of legit merchants too. You can pay for your HumbleBundle with BTC! And other currencies can be exchanged to BTC (or part of a BTC etc..).

Read up https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page to start. The mining part is basically a MORE (though not perfectly, mostly because of the massive difference in mining power from CPU > GPU > ASIC ) egalitarian way to create a currency through scarcity without having to actually mine a metal with a certain usefulness and desirability from the ground. Alternate cryptocurrencies go even further and use different algorithms and/or have other policies. I'm just getting "into" the whole cryptocurrency scene, so someone else may be able to provide a more concise explanation. Hope it helps

i always get a kick out of the people too lazy or too stupid to understand the markets/values/etc in this emerging cryptocurrency world.

The ones that say its a waste of electricity/hardware/etc... alright well the goal in the end for a large majority is profit, pure and simple. Just like you spend money on gasoline to get to work office supplies, etc etc... I could call all that a waste by the same definition. Oh that's right you go to work incur the expense of time/gas/supplies so you can profit and use the currency to pay for things.

When one person pops up and says something retarded like "that's wasteful, it's not accomplishing anything" examine your own life and what a 3rd party could say about YOU and what you do every day that isn't absolutely necessary. Fact of the matter is when I pay the electricity bill, I will use the power for whatever I god damn well please. If I want to mine, cool, if I want to run a museum of plug in electric dildos that talk, that's my own business.

While you are being cheap with everyone ELSE'S power -- why don't you try explaining to the entire country about your views on wasteful energy with the billions of christmas lights that are put up each year. "sorry little billy, no christmas lights this year because some moron on the internet said they were wasteful"

I make an extra $50 a day after expenses for doing jack shit, the fact you can't understand how people are doing this, well that's your own fault. Sure they bubble can burst, as it has in the past, but thats any market in any system that has highs and lows.

The computations prevent double-spending and illegitimate coin creation. Thus, the computations serve a point.

Fuck!! bitcoin @ $900 !! Damn, I traded in a bitcoin I mined a LONG time ago for a ~$150 HDD @ bitcoin store a few months ago. Shit, I should have waited a bit longer, I could have bought a whole damn computer just abouts!

I had 3x 6970s earlier this year in a spare rig. now i'm stuck with a good for nothing TITANIC in it.
Tried it with litecoin..worthless.

I've switched to Bytecoin, but I hear good things about Megabytecoin.

I don't think there's room for another digital currency, just on the basis of identity alone.

Different countries have their own currency, and now so does the Internet. Having different currencies run at the same time within a single entity is not feasible. Closest thing is the Euro, but that has a subset of unions to identify, and they run their own currency as well. Unless the Internet breaks itself up into states (which won't happen), there won't be more than one successful digital currency.

Bitcoin just crashed under $500. I don't want to say I told you so, but...yeah I do.

I sincerely hope a lot of people are freaking out.

Bitcoin just crashed under $500. I don't want to say I told you so, but...yeah I do.

I sincerely hope a lot of people are freaking out.

It crashed to nearly that a couple of weeks ago, and people like you said it was over. Two days later it was back around $1000. Yours and everyone else's shortsighted "analysis" continues to amuse.

i cashed out two at $1100 each a couple of weeks ago, and i just bought two this morning for $400 each.

$1400 extra in my bank account. and i could sell the two coins i just bought for $575 right now.

i would honestly recommend yall to just buy $100 of litecoins, or peercoins, or namecoins. and just stick it in a usb drive and forget about it. maybe you lose $100, maybe you gain $3000. the risk is so low and the potential reward is huge.

Remember when it dropped from $200 to $80?

I remember when the USD dropped from £0.80 to £0.40, now its at £0.60

Currencies fluctuate in price all the time.

Those who panic or resist change loss out.

Back