Facebook Puts Auto-Playing Videos In News Feed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just great, not only has Facebook moved forward with putting video ads in your news feed, they are auto-playing ads. :(

Until now, Facebook’s News Feed has always been still. Everything stays put as you scroll past. All videos were locked in place behind a play button, and no animated GIFs were allowed. But Facebook is putting the feed in motion for the first time with the auto-play videos.

Auto playing ads with sound should be illegal. I don't care about a muted video with the option to have sound, but my right ear hearing was damaged a while back when I was wearing headphones and a banner ad with audio played-- much louder than anything else.

Auto playing ads with sound should be illegal. I don't care about a muted video with the option to have sound, but my right ear hearing was damaged a while back when I was wearing headphones and a banner ad with audio played-- much louder than anything else.

This is great, now people will get caught wasting time on facebook on their work places when a loud ad blasts through the speakers all of the sudden :)

Also I'm all in favor of anything annoying that can drive people away from that sess pool.

Hahahah facebook. So last decade.

It is used tons for business marketing. I would only call it last decade in regards to games. Farmville? Wat?

It is going to be very annoying and I'll likely try and auto-hide the newsfeed playing the video. Another feature that people will simply hate.

I pretty much just ignore any images around text when I read. But if ads starting making sounds its time to adblock that shit asap.

That's the thing I hated most about Myspace: look at someone's profile and you're bombarded with tons of autoplaying video and audio.

welcome to a month ago. It's been like this for many of us for a while now. At least Facebook had the courtesy to mute auto-played video until you expand it.

I'm sure everyone's 2gb limit on cell data is going to love this.
And bathroom breaks
And car rides
and pretty much any situation where more than one person is a space.

Flashblock anyone?

This simple plugin presents me with a play button over every embedded flash object, letting me choose if I want to start it or not. I can't see using the web without it :p

example:

flashblock.jpg

I'm sure everyone's 2gb limit on cell data is going to love this.
And bathroom breaks
And car rides
and pretty much any situation where more than one person is a space.

cell's facebook apps work just a tad differently from facebook on computer web browser.

Cesspool*

But honestly, the worst it can get depends on who you choose as friends. ;)
I try to tell people this all the time. It's like complaining about how shitty the food they eat is when that person cooks his/her own food.

That is the best advice in this thread. Never used it, never will.:D

To each their own. I like it and reading some of Steve's status updates are entertaining as hell. Some people are just blind, I guess. ;)

I try to tell people this all the time. It's like complaining about how shitty the food they eat is when that person cooks his/her own food.

To each their own. I like it and reading some of Steve's status updates are entertaining as hell. Some people are just blind, I guess. ;)

I have never been interested in stalking other people's lives, nor do I care much about what people ate for dinner or the picture of some random person barfing up all the vodka martinis they just over-consumed.

Not so much blind as just doesn't make any sense to me in many ways.

I'd rather hang out here and bash the shit out of it........;)

This is just terrible wtf is facebook thinking!? On another note I pretty much blocked everybody on my friends list from showing up on my feeds. The only reason I use facebook now is to get the latest news from music artist I follow. Much easier to see what latest release is out then to go on soundcloud and go through 300+ tracks (which I still do twice a day).:rolleyes:

Did you see his orange Ford Pinto he posted last night? :D
Nah, but I did see the funny post about smart girls posting pics. :0

I have never been interested in stalking other people's lives, nor do I care much about what people ate for dinner or the picture of some random person barfing up all the vodka martinis they just over-consumed. Not so much blind as just doesn't make any sense to me in many ways.

Once again, you control your experience by the friends you add on there. But then again if you tried it, you would have known that. ;) Also, I only used that blind line trying to be witty with your nickname.

I have never been interested in stalking other people's lives, nor do I care much about what people ate for dinner or the picture of some random person barfing up all the vodka martinis they just over-consumed.

I have found Facebook an excellent way to keep in touch with people I don't see as often anymore. I've had some great debates on varied topics, and many interesting conversations.

Sure, there are some people who post uninteresting stuff, but you can just ignore them.

Hahahah facebook. So last decade.

Oh, I know. The children have shunned it, as there are too many parents on there. I'm not a HUGE facebook fan, but I appreciate it for what it is. Besides, the alternatives are still rather clunky and uninteresting.

Something you'll never find me using - on the other hand - is garbage like Snapchat or Twitter...

So under the app settings you can at least make it so that autoplaying videos only happen on wifi. At least facebook gave us a reach around...

So annoying. I can't stand auto-playing sound ads.

You sound like every other tool attempting to look cool and hip with "reasons for not using facebook".

I'm sure it's better without you.

I actually have a Facebook account, but I am only on there like one a month.

It is a huge waste of time for the most part.

1.Oh look, I am being bombarded by crappy ads for crap I do not want.
2.What is this drivel that all kinds of different people are posting and expect me to like/reply to? Did the whole world need to know that you ran out of toothpaste or are having a bad hair day?
3.Why do people keep inviting me to events that are halfway across the country?
4.Why do people keep inviting me to play these stupid social games I am never going to play.

Group messages and a few other things on there can be useful, but the rest is pretty much a waste of time.

When I first signed up for FB, i was on there quite a bit. Then I realized it was a waste of time, and now go on there very infrequently.

I used to have people ask me why I didn't respond to their FB messages quite often. Once they realized that I couldn't care less about FB, they will actually text or call me if they want to communicate.

FB is only slightly more useful than twitter, which is pretty much one of the stupidest things ever.

I actually have a Facebook account, but I am only on there like one a month.

It is a huge waste of time for the most part.

1.Oh look, I am being bombarded by crappy ads for crap I do not want.
2.What is this drivel that all kinds of different people are posting and expect me to like/reply to? Did the whole world need to know that you ran out of toothpaste or are having a bad hair day?
3.Why do people keep inviting me to events that are halfway across the country?
4.Why do people keep inviting me to play these stupid social games I am never going to play.

Group messages and a few other things on there can be useful, but the rest is pretty much a waste of time.

When I first signed up for FB, i was on there quite a bit. Then I realized it was a waste of time, and now go on there very infrequently.

I used to have people ask me why I didn't respond to their FB messages quite often. Once they realized that I couldn't care less about FB, they will actually text or call me if they want to communicate.

FB is only slightly more useful than twitter, which is pretty much one of the stupidest things ever.

There's a word for your condition: anti-social. ;)

You claim that's what facebook is like and yet you haven't used it? My FB friends don't post anything of the things you're talking about.

I find that funny, because front page news is more of a cesspool than my FB page is :p

You claim that's what facebook is like and yet you haven't used it? My FB friends don't post anything of the things you're talking about.I find that funny, because front page news is more of a cesspool than my FB page is :p

Ditto...

well.. looks like i didn't get in before the facebook bashing began.

anyway, this feature is a little shitty since the video auto-plays (who would have thought) ,and before you can unmute it... a second has already elapsed... especially bad in the case of viewing a Vine which is only 6 seconds long.

Back