Facebook Working On A 'Sympathize' Button

HardOCP News

[H] News
Screw getting a "sympathize" button, Facebook needs a damn "dislike" button first.

Facebook is developing a 'sympathize' button as an alternative to the 'like' button. If a user tags their status with a negative emotion, then his or her friends will be able to 'sympathize' with the post rather than press the 'like' button. Until now the ‘like’ button has proved to be unsuitable for use on gloomy occasions such as the death of a pet.

I'm still confused as to how such an idiotic/pointless/moot feature such as a "like" button took off.

I'm shocked Facebook doesn't have more options other than "Like" at this point. Slow is what they are anymore.

As pointless as the like button is, I am glad that they are coming up with something for other cases.

Somebody post something like "My <insert family member> just passed away" and you have all these people then liking that. That just always seemed wrong to be.

I'd think about signing up for spacefaeces or mybooks if they had a "loathe" button.

No I wouldn't.

"I'm feel so sad, my dog committed suicide by running out into the street wearing the costume I put on it"

94 people like this!

Only two buttons should be on Facebook. Sympathize and "I hate that backstabbing bitch" since it is of course for women.

Couldn't people just...you know, use words to describe the way they're feeling? Are words not "cool" any longer? Do people on Facebook not know how to express themselves using simple sentences?

The longer I'm away from social media, the more it looks like a collective insane asylum when I look at the latest developments.

The only thing Facebook has that's at all useful is Candy Crush and that's no longer a Facebook only thing. Aside from that, there's no influx of people from younger generations that pays any attention to it since it's polluted with geezer parents and most of the user base of existing old people are disenchanted with the novelty of using it to post profanity and inflammatory political comments on someone else's wall. Add privacy paranoia running rampant in society and it's pretty much already on its way to following MySpace into the marble jaws of Oblivion.

"Just got married"

"192 Sympathize"

I dunno... seems fitting?

The longer I'm away from social media, the more it looks like a collective insane asylum when I look at the latest developments.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to call somewhere else a collective insane asylum when you are here posting in the front page news section of [H], one of the most insane insane asylums around? :p

I don't get what people have against facebook so much. If you don't like it, don't fucking use it. From the comments you see around here you'd think facebook killed their wife and raped their dog.

The next time that friend of mine post pictures of his outfit claiming its stylish, I'm going to use this button :p

I guess this is to stop those awkward situations when people hit the "like" button when someone posts that their grandma passed away. :D

Or the Emo people.

"My life sucks :( I just want to go die somewhere"
* You and 25 other people like this

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to call somewhere else a collective insane asylum when you are here posting in the front page news section of [H], one of the most insane insane asylums around? :p

Yeah, well, you've got me there! :cool:

I don't get what people have against facebook so much. If you don't like it, don't fucking use it. From the comments you see around here you'd think facebook killed their wife and raped their dog.

Normally, I'm content to let fools be fools since it doesn't affect me. Facebook is an exception because people think there's something wrong with me when I tell them that I'm not on it and I don't want to be on it.

I'm apparently an old man at the ripe old age of 27 because I realize that people have been expressing their condolences for hundreds of years without the aid of a button that was designed for that specific purpose.

I'm apparently an old man at the ripe old age of 27 because I realize that people have been expressing their condolences for hundreds of years without the aid of a button that was designed for that specific purpose.
The thing is, if you have a problem with that, just don't do it. Don't post "my dog died, my truck broke and my girlfriend broke up with me :( :( :(" if you don't want the post to get meaningless likes/etc, and if someone else posts some bad news on FB, feel free to leave an actual comment or ring the person instead of clicking a button.

Personally I like FB because it gives me an avenue to talk to friends I otherwise would probably never have kept up with. When it comes to friends I actually do meet up with regularly, FB is neither here nor there for me, I see them in person so I don't feel the need to try and communicate with them individually on FB.

Yeah, FB gets cluttered up with meaningless updates I don't give a shit about... kind of like a forum like this one we are currently typing on. It takes all of 10 seconds to flip through and skip over the ones you don't give a shit about. There are other times I'm bored and do actually want to see the random pictures my friends post of their recent holidays or babies or cars or whatever.

It's so easy to ignore FB I guess I just don't get why people get so bent out of shape about it. But then, I also don't get why people hate Apple with a passion. I guess overall I don't get why people feel either strong emotional attachment or disdain for such trivial things.

Back