Windows 8.1 Preview License Ends in January 2014

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you were trying out Windows 8.1 Preview before you either reverted back to your prior operating system or you are ready to install the commercial version on your computer, it’s time to start making your plans for the transition. The Preview version of W8.1 is set to expire in January.

Plans should be made to move to the released version of Windows 8.1 or return to the prior OS version as soon as possible to avoid interruption in use of the device on which the Windows 8.1 Preview was installed.

Just a heads up for anyone planning to upgrade via the app store instead of reformatting. The upgrade will uninstall all of your apps, including regular desktop programs and driver utilities.

Does the mouse problem still exist, or was that confined to the games on the list MS gave? I saw a bunch of new-ish stuff I don't play...and Half Life 2.

Just a heads up for anyone planning to upgrade via the app store instead of reformatting. The upgrade will uninstall all of your apps, including regular desktop programs and driver utilities.

This is only for the Windows 8.1 Preview. Upgrading from 8.0 RTM however should preserve everything, desktop and modern apps, settings and data.

Does the mouse problem still exist, or was that confined to the games on the list MS gave? I saw a bunch of new-ish stuff I don't play...and Half Life 2.

There was a patch for this but I've not heard any reports as to its effectiveness.

Great Q, I've been holding back on 8.1 on my primary gaming box because of this. Might try asking in the "Operating Systems" forum.

Back