SteamOS Machine That Straps To Your TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have to admit, I really like this idea for a SteamOS machine. It's called the "Jetpack" and it bolts to the back of your TV. No clutter, no fuss...no money left in your wallet. :D

I like it too could make use of those VESA holes most people never touch. But probably wont be popular or change much because most people would probably agree the point of Steam machine is simplicity. Something that takes no building / tweaking to sell to certain friends.

I wonder what the weight ratings are. My old LG LCD might tear that chassis apart.

Interesting video card layout by the way. Never seen a board that lets you plug PCI-E cards sideways like that.

That actually looks better than all of the prototypes that have been shown so far. Reminds me of a low-profile amp or power conditioner. The attachment concept is pointless, though; why would you want to add weight to the back of your TV?

Back at my old job I had to do a project that involved web apps on huge ass TV.

In the end the trade marketing morons decided to spend about 4k on a TV with mountable PC (Atom + Windows XP haha) that looked almost exactly like this. All this to run a web site lol.

I don't think mounting a gaming PC on the back of a TV is a such a good idea. HTPC? Yes, please!

Excellent idea.

I would buy a steam machine in this configuration in a heartbeat for my tv's (most of my pc gaiming is done on the tv in the family) if:

It had true media player functionality (XBMC level functionality)

Had integrated streaming apps:
Netflix
Amazon
Vudu
Hulu

It looks pretty useful for what would otherwise be a wall mount, but I'm not sure the current design really thought out ventilation very well, especially not with a high power video card installed.

Interesting video card layout by the way. Never seen a board that lets you plug PCI-E cards sideways like that.

Its basically a 1u server and all (most) 1u servers have a riser card to do just this.

I think I would actually pay for that if and only if I can't DIY.

CPU cooling is going to completely suck on that thing... Looks like there is about enough room to cool an i3 though.

I am betting the motherboard and RAM wouldn't last that long either.

Reminds me of the negative cooling some of the old Dell ultra small form factor desktops had.

Pull air in to cool the CPU and make all other components inside the chassis get hot enough to scald you if you touch them before they cool down.

CPU cooling is going to completely suck on that thing... Looks like there is about enough room to cool an i3 though.

I am betting the motherboard and RAM wouldn't last that long either.

Reminds me of the negative cooling some of the old Dell ultra small form factor desktops had.

Pull air in to cool the CPU and make all other components inside the chassis get hot enough to scald you if you touch them before they cool down.

Modern i5's aren't that warm. My Surface Pro's (first gen) i5 never feels hot, ever. Perhaps it's an ULV edition that's cooler than a desktop counterpart?

This is pretty much what I did. I screwed a motherboard to the back of the TV. Two of the holes in the motherboard were just the right length apart and matched up with two of the holes for the VESA mount. It is used as an HTPC and also light gaming.

My only concern for this would be that my plasma puts out alot of heat and I imagine it would go right into the steam box. Idle temps would suck considering you would have hundreds of watts of heat all trying to be dispersed in the same couple cubic feet of air.

Back