Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew over at Hardware Canucks have published a review of the Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz Edition this morning.

Over the next few weeks, gamers will be treated to a deluge of custom GTX 780 Ti cards but we have a feeling that even after the dust settles, Gigabyte’s GHz Edition will remain one of the most sought-after examples. It successfully achieves the golden trifecta of mind-blowing performance, low temperatures and near-silent acoustics; a combination that typically alludes most graphics card manufacturers.

Thanks for the link, good info.

If I can sell my 2nd 7970 at the current absurdly inflated price, this is something I'd definitely consider picking up.

Elude, not allude :)

Allude
verb
3rd person present: alludes

1. suggest or call attention to indirectly; hint at.

Elude
verb
verb: elude; 3rd person present: eludes; past tense: eluded; past participle: eluded; gerund or present participle: eluding

1. evade or escape from (a danger, enemy, or pursuer), typically in a skillful or cunning way..

Why are they testing Max Payne and other previous gen titles? If you buy a 780 Ti to play Max Payne you need to be slapped.

Allude
verb

Elude
verb
verb: elude; 3rd person present: eludes; past tense: eluded; past participle: eluded; gerund or present participle: eluding

1. evade or escape from (a danger, enemy, or pursuer), typically in a skillful or cunning way..

Either way. Boner enabled.

Also, I bet its price will be GHz edition as well.

Last edited:

Allude
verb

Elude
verb

Cut them some slack, they are Canadian. You are lucky the review didn't have 4 extra pages of nonsensical information regarding bacon, syrup, Molson, or hockey.

BTW, that is said with total love to all my Canadian brothers; especially those based in Cold Lake and Rankin Inlet. :D

What a beast of a card. Too expensive for my blood but look at the performance! You have one card matching the previous generation's dual processor solution AND has lower temperatures/quitter operation to boot. That just blows my mind.

Why are they testing Max Payne and other previous gen titles? If you buy a 780 Ti to play Max Payne you need to be slapped.

Max Payne 3 is recent (from 2012) and pretty graphics intensive. It's not like they tested Max Payne 1 or 2.

Numbers like that make me hopeful that I can switch back to a Single card with the next die shrink :)

The trifecta of insane performance by today's standards, low temps and noise.I'll take this with a Gsync monitor and some heavy meds please.

While not Ti I still love my GTX 780 GHz Edition. Boosts to 1163 MHz at stock which is really nice. I probably will not bother OCing the core, just the memory.

Amazing that this card has enough grunt in one GPU to match and even exceed the GTX 690 in most games.

I love my 690 to death, but I may have to have one of these. SLI has some issues in a few games that I play the most. Skyrim, for instance, disables HDR completely in SLI mode and water ripples flicker and glitch out as well.

I ordered 2 of these cards for my main rig....I'm realty on the fence on either getting a 3rd or waiting for Classified for my alternate single card rig

If you're able to, please post impressions when you get it. I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just an FYI that isn't the GHz edition, it has the 6+8 layout and no backplate.

I hope you figured that out before it shipped or it was your intention not to get the GHz edition :(

There are two different models. GV-N78TGHZ-3GD is the GHZ Edition and GV-N78TOC-3GD is the OC Windforce.

The link I posted is for GV-N78TGHZ-3GD and lists the Core Clock: 1080 MHz (Base) 1150 MHz (Boost) - Memory Clock: 7000 MHz.

I think you are thinking of this card: GV-N78TOC-3GD
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GTX7...-N78TOC-3GD/dp/B00GFZPE5A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1

I have yet to get an expected ship date from Amazon, but I will surely post impressions once the card arrives. :)

I'm surprised Amazon has this and Newegg doesn't. Usually, isn't it the other way around? In any case, looking forward to your impressions!

There are two different models. GV-N78TGHZ-3GD is the GHZ Edition and GV-N78TOC-3GD is the OC Windforce.

The link I posted is for GV-N78TGHZ-3GD and lists the Core Clock: 1080 MHz (Base) 1150 MHz (Boost) - Memory Clock: 7000 MHz.

I think you are thinking of this card: GV-N78TOC-3GD
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GTX7...-N78TOC-3GD/dp/B00GFZPE5A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1

I have yet to get an expected ship date from Amazon, but I will surely post impressions once the card arrives. :)

Yes, please, I'm very interested in purchasing one of these to replace my 6970.

I was wondering if I could take the GV-N78TOC-3GD version, which appears to have the same cooler and simply over clock it to GV-N78TGHZ-3GD speeds rather than waiting for the Ghz edition to come out? Besides the clock speeds it appears the cards are identical, no?

I was wondering if I could take the GV-N78TOC-3GD version, which appears to have the same cooler and simply over clock it to GV-N78TGHZ-3GD speeds rather than waiting for the Ghz edition to come out? Besides the clock speeds it appears the cards are identical, no?

You should have no problem doing this given that my reference 780 Ti can OC a little faster then this Ghz edition.

Last edited:
You should have no problem doing this given that my reference 780 Ti can OC a little faster then this Ghz edition.

Hmm, so you would say just a reference 780ti is the better deal here, since they can be overclocked to this level with ease?

Hmm, so you would say just a reference 780ti is the better deal here, since they can be overclocked to this level with ease?

Well, my reference 780ti goes to 1280 boost with 83 degrees and tolerable noise. You will only pay for lower temps with that thing, but, unless gigabyte did proper binning, you won't get much higher core clock than reference.

Just an FYI that isn't the GHz edition, it has the 6+8 layout and no backplate.

I hope you figured that out before it shipped or it was your intention not to get the GHz edition :(

The GV-N78TOC-3GD and GV-N78TGHZ-3GD both have two 8-pin power connectors, for what it's worth. They both have an 8+2 phase VRM design. And the same cooler too. Maybe the GHz edition is binned better? Oh, and it has a back plate too.

http://www.gigabyte.sg/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4890#ov

http://www.gigabyte.sg/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4839#ov

Newegg pictures show the OC version as having two 8-pin power connectors as well.

Wonder if I can order a back plate for the OC that I have coming tomorrow.... they do look nice.

Backplate is the only physical difference. I think that GHz probably comes with better vram generally. I'm running mine at 7350MHz. Also the power limit can be set to 116% and max voltage +63mV. Mine boosts to 1163MHz and has 1,163v stock voltage. 1175MHz seems to be stable with stock voltage but for some reason 1,2GHz would require 1,2v. Even at 1,2GHz I have not seen this go above power limit which is weird. Though things may be a bit different with Ti.

Suck it! Until I see RPM's vs DB's in comparison to other cards like the DC2, ACX, Gaming, Jetstream, etc, it can stay @ newegg! Also, it's butt ugly!

Kind of surprised to see Amazon's price $70 higher than Newegg. They are usually very similar.

My Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz Edition was waiting for me when I got home today. So far I've only played a little Battlefield 4 but it's a fantastic card. Coming from a GTX 690 (very similar in raw performance) Battlefield 4 feels MUCH smoother. Also, with my 690 I would get odd FPS drops, sometimes into the single digits, when I had Post Processing on Ultra. No such problems with my 780 Ti. I'm really happy with this purchase and my 690 is hitting eBay tonight. :)

My Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz Edition was waiting for me when I got home today. So far I've only played a little Battlefield 4 but it's a fantastic card. Coming from a GTX 690 (very similar in raw performance) Battlefield 4 feels MUCH smoother. Also, with my 690 I would get odd FPS drops, sometimes into the single digits, when I had Post Processing on Ultra. No such problems with my 780 Ti. I'm really happy with this purchase and my 690 is hitting eBay tonight. :)

Comparing the smoothness of Battlefield on 780 ti versus 690, would you surmise that it's mainly because of microstuttering that made the 690 not as smooth as the 780 ti?

CUDA core count doesn't tell the whole story.

1Ghz Faster RAM, 50% more of it, and feeding it through a 50% fatter 384bit bus might have something to do with it.

Comparing the smoothness of Battlefield on 780 ti versus 690, would you surmise that it's mainly because of microstuttering that made the 690 not as smooth as the 780 ti?

The microstuttering was an issue for sure. I didn't realize how bad it was until I switched cards. However, the massive fps drops with post processing enabled were the biggest problem for me. I wish I could try out 2 of these puppies in SLI. :)

Last edited:
Back