Valve Joins The Linux Foundation

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Linux Foundation, the nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the growth of Linux, today announced that Cloudius Systems, HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) Foundation and Valve are joining the organization. The newest Linux Foundation members represent both nascent open source endeavors as well as established industry leaders. Companies from diverse markets, such as gaming, cloud computing and virtualization are seeing the value of Linux and collaborative development to put them out in front of competitors.

Sweet!
This may not be the year of Linux, but it could be the beginning of something awesome. :cool:

isn't ever year the year of linux? I'm seriously not getting my hopes up.

ynPLJVQ.jpg

I find it more interesting the fact that the HSA foundation is joining. We have known for a while Valve was pushing Linux. Mantle on Steamboxes is getting much closer to reality.

There's always at least one "THIS IS THE YEAR OF LINUX!" thread in the News subforum per year.

Valve backing Linux will not a world-dominating OS make.

isn't ever year the year of linux? I'm seriously not getting my hopes up.

Most computers in the world run Linux, so I'd say it has been the year of linux for a while.

Unless you are just talking about desktop computers.

Most computers in the world run Linux, so I'd say it has been the year of linux for a while.

People use desktop computers these days?

Is that so they can use their 9600 baud modems for the BBS thingies?

I'm pretty sure Valve giving the linux foundation between $5,000 and $20,000 isn't going to change things much.

I have many games in my Steam account, under Windows (over 125). The selection under Linux is just the crappy indie games I got as part of packages and cobweb ridden older games. Not sure how this is supposed to drive a massive adoption away from Windows.

When steam on Mac was released their were very few games, now 1/3rd of the steam library runs on Mac.

which means that at its minimum, SteamOS will run 1/3rd of the steam library in one way or another.
OS X is not Linux. There is no rush to port commercial games to Linux, and OS X is mostly limping along years behind like always. I do see a lot of ports from Android and the same indie crap that no one buys, except when it goes to $1-$2, on the Linux list of games. Success. lol

My innate inner cynic is cringing along with my innate outer cynic.

I need to stop this and try to be more hopeful.

someone once said "Linux is only free if your time is worthless". that dude spoke the truth.

i've messed around with linux on a couple of occations and even though the desktop and menus look nice in linux nowadays, you're fucked if something doesn't work right. you need another computer to research on various forums or just have loads of experience with the linux shell because everything that is beyond the most trivial options can only be configured in some weird configs or command lines. want to install drivers for an nvidia card? good luck. it crashed the x server for me. now go edit a config to load default drivers because now you're stuck at the shell. amazingly sophisticated.

someone once said "Linux is only free if your time is worthless". that dude spoke the truth.

Theoretically with something like SteamOS average folks should be able to just install stuff from a store and go and the OS and tools handle drivers and updates and such and that should be fine. I still wonder though who this appeals to beyond the ant-Microsoft and pro-Linux crowd, that's not going to be enough to make this venture successful for Valve. But at the same time they don't have to spend a lot of money on it, it's going to be up to developers and OEMs as to how far they want to go initially until the market starts sending signs as to how this is all being received.

And that's ultimately what it's about. If the market is there it will do well and if the market isn't there it won't and at this point no one knows. But almost 20 years into the next year being the year of desktop Linux I don't see anything particularly special here, it is all about playing games that we've all played on Windows PCs or consoles forever already. And now there's the rise of mobile which is becoming increasingly important to game developers.

I think valve pushing steam box is incredibly important. the importance cannot be overstated. Will it be successful? Who knows but what we do know is this is the one and only chance PC gamers have to see any sort of HTPC progress. If this fails we will have to wait till SOCs are so cheap every TV/ monitor comes with one that can play crisis 85.

Even claiming android devices as computers this statement is false.

Past years they didn't have the largest game distribution company getting behind it...
Gamestop is larger than steam most likely it's a larger company in both equity and revenue. But Value probably is the largest digital distributor, amazon probably makes more money though world wide, and probably one of the largest in selling video games.

i've messed around with linux on a couple of occations and even though the desktop and menus look nice in linux nowadays, you're fucked if something doesn't work right. you need another computer to research on various forums or just have loads of experience with the linux shell because everything that is beyond the most trivial options can only be configured in some weird configs or command lines. want to install drivers for an nvidia card? good luck. it crashed the x server for me. now go edit a config to load default drivers because now you're stuck at the shell. amazingly sophisticated.

Ubuntu has helped on the nvidia driver bit... I do find having to exit X to install a driver a bit of a bother... (default config)

Linux has come a long way in being a viable desktop alternative for the average dumb user. It still isn't there but then again if windows stops booting most people don't know what to do either. Linux has a side benefit of it generally being the last thing you fucked up. So even if you don't know how to fix it you pretty much know what caused it. (you).

With Windows 8 being such a huge flop it certainly gives linux a hell of a lot better chance at the desktop. I gave windows 8 a try... a good 8mo. try. I am nearing the ends of my sanity, going to be a coin toss between a linux distro and windows 7 in a few weeks.

Even claiming android devices as computers this statement is false.

Depends on your definition of computer. Desktop or Laptop only, you might be correct. But if you count the computer in your car, NAS appliance, router, and roku, you're wrong.

But does that have more to do with what you're installing having work put into it, than the OS. The number of machines and card combination nVidia tests their drivers on is probably several magnitudes more than what the Linux versions get tested on before they're released.

Steam creates the prerogative for someone to start doing that though.

I'm pretty sure Valve giving the linux foundation between $5,000 and $20,000 isn't going to change things much.

I have many games in my Steam account, under Windows (over 125). The selection under Linux is just the crappy indie games I got as part of packages and cobweb ridden older games. Not sure how this is supposed to drive a massive adoption away from Windows.

When I first got Steam there was only Half Life 2 on there. Not sure how that was supposed to drive massive adoption to Steam.

Depends on your definition of computer. Desktop or Laptop only, you might be correct. But if you count the computer in your car, NAS appliance, router, and roku, you're wrong.

You seriously overestimate how many of those devices exist. Who besides nerds like us has NAS devices? Roku? Most routers are not Linux and the .01% of cars on the road with Linux based systems are not as plentiful as you think.

I am a Linux user and like using it but the are done serious myths that are believed by so many in the computer world.

Do yourself a favor, go door to door and count how many homes have such devices and how many windows machines they have. Joe blow is not out there buying a roku or nas but I guarantee he has a windows desktop, laptop or both.

i've messed around with linux on a couple of occasions and even though the desktop and menus look nice in linux nowadays, you're fucked if something doesn't work right. you need another computer to research on various forums or just have loads of experience with the linux shell because everything that is beyond the most trivial options can only be configured in some weird configs or command lines. want to install drivers for an nvidia card? good luck. it crashed the x server for me. now go edit a config to load default drivers because now you're stuck at the shell. amazingly sophisticated.

I have heard that stupid ass quote before.

That is sweet and chewy for someone that is against LEARNING SOMETHING.
For those that don't like their meals pre-chewed Linux is a GREAT alternative MS offerings.
It really blows my mind why some people think they can transition to a totally different OS architecture and expect there to be no learning curve and no problems.
There is a big difference here. Windows in a realm where there is complete driver support from hardware vendors. Linux is in one where that support is sparse open source drivers have to be relied on. And I would agree, that is a good reason to avoid linux. It's not for wimps and cry babies.
Linux users are like the guys living in Alaska fighting grisly bears. Windows is for the urban apartment dweller surviving on a gub-ment check.

I have NEVER installed a version of windows to find everything worked when the install was complete. You MUST have a CD full of driver to install before the PC, laptop, etc is ready to use. What if you don't have the drivers? You have to go out searching for them.

IF YOU WANT enterprise level linux support it is available. Just like with Microsoft it costs something. Otherwise access the community and find the answers.
Avid linux users are members of a self supporting community and a very talented one consider historically most hardware and software vendors have been AGAINST linux by providing little to no support.
Yes there are headaches because most distros operate with sudo-driver instead of OEM drivers directly from the hardware makers.
What we are seeing now is the tide starting to turn. There will be more and more support from the hardware vendors. A new PC or laptop with LINUX is CHEAPER since the OS doesn't cost anything. A low price wins in the market place all things being equal. And that equality is coming more and more every day.

You seriously overestimate how many of those devices exist. Who besides nerds like us has NAS devices? Roku? Most routers are not Linux and the .01% of cars on the road with Linux based systems are not as plentiful as you think.

I am a Linux user and like using it but the are done serious myths that are believed by so many in the computer world.

Do yourself a favor, go door to door and count how many homes have such devices and how many windows machines they have. Joe blow is not out there buying a roku or nas but I guarantee he has a windows desktop, laptop or both.
It is quite surprising on how many average people know nothing about a Roku and such. Was talking to some family and co-workers and not one of them knew anything about a Roku. Insane how slow some people are on learning about tech. Some just don't care i guess.

...I have NEVER installed a version of windows to find everything worked when the install was complete. You MUST have a CD full of driver to install before the PC, laptop, etc is ready to use. What if you don't have the drivers? You have to go out searching for them...
Funny you should say that. I just recently installed Windows 8 on a PC that originally came with XP on it and never had to insert a driver disk or go looking for drivers. Everything worked perfect. But I guess this is a case of YMMV. lol.

Funny you should say that. I just recently installed Windows 8 on a PC that originally came with XP on it and never had to insert a driver disk or go looking for drivers. Everything worked perfect. But I guess this is a case of YMMV. lol.

So are you saying Microsoft has just now caught up with what Linux user experience when they finish a install? :D

So are you saying Microsoft has just now caught up with what Linux user experience when they finish a install? :D
If you want to say that. Or it could be that I was pointing out the flaw in your statement, ;). :D.

If you want to say that. Or it could be that I was pointing out the flaw in your statement, ;). :D.

No really. If you PC or laptop contains devices that have good open source support; once the install is done everything works. Now not saying Every feature of every device works. But overall it will be perfectly usable.
This is -normally- the experience.
Now if you tried to install Linux on a "best #1" brand laptop full of mystery chips, good luck.

If you tried several different distros some have better support, some have worse support.
I have a Sapphire HD6570 card failed to boot on 4 different distros.
But I also have a old ATI HD5750 that works beautifully on every distro I tried.
Go figure.
The perils of open source.

I have to admit I never used or installed windows 8. The latest windows I ever installed was win7 64bit.
Definitely had to have drives on hand for it to work correctly.

Cute, until you get into wifi, printers, and trying to get full features out of things.

Sure most of the time everything functions on linux but that sure as fuck dont mean you get all the functionality...

It is quite surprising on how many average people know nothing about a Roku and such. Was talking to some family and co-workers and not one of them knew anything about a Roku. Insane how slow some people are on learning about tech. Some just don't care i guess.

Showing something like a roku to most people blows their damn minds. Most people dont even know such functionality even exists let alone a device to make it happen for you.

No really. If you PC or laptop contains devices that have good open source support; once the install is done everything works. Now not saying Every feature of every device works. But overall it will be perfectly usable.
This is -normally- the experience.
Now if you tried to install Linux on a "best #1" brand laptop full of mystery chips, good luck.

Generally these days video, audio and networking, wired and wireless just work with Windows. You may not get the latest and greatest drivers without manual updates or sometimes through Windows Update but the basics are there. But most people never install Windows on their machines and most OEMs provide their own update tools which are sometimes critical to keep an machine up to date at least easily as some OEMs don't make it easy to find drivers and updates on a web site.

So it's just one of those things that for years has always been a subject of debate but I think it's such a varied experience that it is pointless. There's just too many factors involved to say that either setup from scratch experience with either Linux or Windows is all that great, but you will generally find Windows drivers for anything that not ancient.

Where is that Ron Paul "It's happening" pic when you need it.

On a less sarcastic note, anyone think we might get a working BT or USB stack out of this this?
I consulted my magic 8 ball. It said "Not likely."

Gamestop is larger than steam most likely it's a larger company in both equity and revenue. But Value probably is the largest digital distributor, amazon probably makes more money though world wide, and probably one of the largest in selling video games.

Valve also makes games, none of the other companies do, so now they make games via Valve and push them via Steam and get others on board.. score!!

Back