Facebook Contributes To Eating Disorders

HardOCP News

[H] News
If people on Facebook weren't so damned busy taking pictures of their food instead of eating it, we wouldn't have this problem. :D

Girls who allocated the most time to photo-related activities were more likely to internalize a thin ideal, succumb to self-objectification, be dissatisfied with their weight, or report having a drive to become thin. Based on the data, the researchers were not able to determine whether adolescents who already had issues with self appearance were drawn to looking at photo-related Facebook posts, or if the images influenced the girls’ body image. But they speculate that both may be at work.

Worrying about your body image can be healthy. Obsessing about it to the point where you are physically and mentally harming yourself is mental illness.

Better a bit too thin than grossly obese, which is a much more pervasive problem these days. I'm beginning to forget what people who don't waddle look like.

I wished I had an eating disorder. :(

Going on a vegan diet for a couple of years gave me an "hour-glass" figure.

Having said that, I don't think that a vegan diet is a healthy one right now. You need to be a bio-chemist to pull it off and even then... There's too much nutrition loss, for example you need DHA/ EPA for brain and eye cell regeneration which is mostly found in oily fish.

DHA / EPA converts to Omega fatty acids.

There are problems with B vitamin deficiency too.

Having said that, I don't think that a vegan diet is a healthy one right now. You need to be a bio-chemist to pull it off and even then... There's too much nutrition loss, for example you need DHA/ EPA for brain and eye cell regeneration which is mostly found in oily fish.

yeah, when I was in high school one teacher was a vegetarian. She didn't eat right and looked very sickly from a lack of proper nutrition.

yeah, when I was in high school one teacher was a vegetarian. She didn't eat right and looked very sickly from a lack of proper nutrition.

That is because most who go on a vegetarian/Vegan diet do so for moral reasons. Which is quite honestly the dumbest reason imaginable. They get on this holier than thou kick, do absolutely zero research on what it takes to actually have a balanced diet that adheres to that, and then end up sick. The worst offenders are the ones that eat all this super processed crap made to taste like meat, but isn't meat so they can maintain their moral high ground and really aren't anything more than giant hypocrites on an abysmally poor diet. Can a proper diet be done? Yes it can but it takes a ton of work and understanding, neither of which most are willing to put in.

That is because most who go on a vegetarian/Vegan diet do so for moral reasons. Which is quite honestly the dumbest reason imaginable. They get on this holier than thou kick, do absolutely zero research on what it takes to actually have a balanced diet that adheres to that, and then end up sick. The worst offenders are the ones that eat all this super processed crap made to taste like meat, but isn't meat so they can maintain their moral high ground and really aren't anything more than giant hypocrites on an abysmally poor diet. Can a proper diet be done? Yes it can but it takes a ton of work and understanding, neither of which most are willing to put in.

I am one of those morons who refuse to eat meat for moral reasons. More than 2 years so far and I don't look sick at all. Thin? Sure, but I've always been thin. No fatties on either side of my blood relatives.

No special diet or anything. Do I love the taste of meat? Sure thing. But I can live without it. Processed food is a huge NO. Maybe it's harder to get proper stuff to eat beyond the huge water but I somehow doubt it's that hard to avoid it even beyond the huge water where most fat people live.

My fiance's a vegan, and has been for 3 years now. Both her and I agree with this statement, suprisingly. She made the decision for a variety of reasons, mostly because of the treatment of animals and the fact that she receives everything she would get if she weren't vegan.

There's a story in the AP about how Beyonce and Jay Z are going vegan for 22 days for "Spiritual" reasons. It's shit like that which give a ton of veegs a bad rep. But yeah, the percentage of douche veegs to legitimate veegs is sadly tipped towards douche.

There isn't anything unhealthy about eating properly raised meat. Quite the contrary...

Not nessesarily 'unhealthy', but it's equal parts life and health choice on her part.

I can understand that. It's a big reason why I switched to buying organic free range grass fed beef directly from the farm. The cows are treated well, eat what they are supposed to eat, don't get bombed with hormones and GMO shit and are slaughtered humanely. If you have enough freezer space, it's also cheaper per pound than buying the questionable "cheap" stuff from your normal grocer.

I just find that most vegans and vegetarians I come across eat too much wheat and cereal grain type products to be as healthy as they should be. Some of them do it right, but not the majority.

I can understand that. It's a big reason why I switched to buying organic free range grass fed beef directly from the farm. The cows are treated well, eat what they are supposed to eat, don't get bombed with hormones and GMO shit and are slaughtered humanely. If you have enough freezer space, it's also cheaper per pound than buying the questionable "cheap" stuff from your normal grocer.

I just find that most vegans and vegetarians I come across eat too much wheat and cereal grain type products to be as healthy as they should be. Some of them do it right, but not the majority.

Me too man, I'm a very picky meat eater. And I absolutely refuse to eat anything with corn syrup in it. That shit is poison.

I will say, coming from a hardcore meat eater, some of the things she and other veegs can do with food are amazing. bordering on scientific. She's whipped up veeg brownies I could have sworn were regular ones. Not to mention one of my favorite meals comes from a vegan restaurant The Chicago Diner. They make amazing burgers and Gyros.

Back