'Techie' Is An Offensive Word Now?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Since when did "techie" become offensive? Seriously, what the hell?

"If you use the word 'techie,' we know you're not in tech," said the Mission District resident. "A lot of negative terms like that - yuppie, hipster - are outsider terms. We don't call each other techies - at all, ever." The preferred terms, he said, are "hackers," "makers" or "coders."

*sigh*

Of course its from San Francisco California, where people are always looking for new things to get offended at and start a movement over...

If you get pissy over labels, I know I don't want to work with you.

We describe ourselves as "techies" to people who ask about our jobs all the time. It's an easy way to avoid explaining too much.

I call BS. As a team lead of techs they find it offensive when they are given new non-tech titles like analyst or support staff etc and now have tech titles again:)

I don't find it hard to imagine some uptight people in SF would get offended when called a techie. And of course their business cards have a load of meaningless buzzwords and a self-descriptive title of "technologist". lol

We describe ourselves as "techies" to people who ask about our jobs all the time. It's an easy way to avoid explaining too much.

Techie is definitely the easiest label for someone to understand in quick summary outside of one's title or job.

If you get pissy over labels, I know I don't want to work with you.

you're labeling people as the labeling people, you prejudice person! :D

The phrase I identify as "this person knows absolutely zero" is "Well, I'm pretty tech savvy".

I think the lowest people in the whole thing are the ones who can't wait to get pissed off over 'political correctness out of control'. They're every bit as bad as the ones that will write an article like this just to get a few red necks to swallow their own heads out of impotent rage.

this guy is making himself look like an idiot. EVERYONE calls yuppies and hipsters yuppies and hipsters except yuppies and hipsters. the fact he doesnt like it basically proves he's a techie, although kind of a douchey yuppie/hipster techie.

SFGate... no care at all.

I have an official title, but the helpdesk/office manager chick calls the IT group her "techies", none of us care. Term of endearment. The only people that would not like the name tend to be the types that insist on being called "engineer" etc, and they usually *SUCK* at their job, hence the need to hold the title over peoples heads. Whatever. Midwest Techie Hipsters invade the formerly awesome Mission District.

Techie is still better than guru.
I wonder if "I'm not a techie" tipped is fedora after saying that.

this guy is making himself look like an idiot. EVERYONE calls yuppies and hipsters yuppies and hipsters except yuppies and hipsters. the fact he doesnt like it basically proves he's a techie, although kind of a douchey yuppie/hipster techie.

The author is the definition of a hipster. Tech-hipster.

He is also a whiney cry baby.

Dang... I describe myself as a techie all the time... That dude is totally an idiot. There is nothing offensive about it unless you decide that it offends you.

The author is the definition of a hipster. Tech-hipster.

He is also a whiney cry baby.

Seriously.

If you are really a hard core hacker or maker or coder, and you have some time to spend on your hands, I'm pretty sure the option you choose is not to write an article whining about what others choose to call you.

I don't know about you all but in my experience there are two groups within the "tech" world: hardware guys and software guys. Within the article one of those quoted prefers "hacker, makers, or coders". Therefore the article is really about "software guys".

I would go as far to say "software guys" usually know very little about the hardware. If something goes wrong with their systems they need "us" i.e. the hardware guys to fix it for them.

Most software guys have not earned the title techie; becoming a techie would represent an upgrade for a software loser...

I wonder if TechieSooner is going to sit there and take that insult.

HEAR YE. HEAR YE!
Faggy San Francisco offended by just about everything!
HEAR YE. HEAR YE!

This is the same shit where devs want to make themselves sound more important. "Techie" does not have a negative connotation, these guys are just trying to change lingo.

I don't know about you all but in my experience there are two groups within the "tech" world: hardware guys and software guys. Within the article one of those quoted prefers "hacker, makers, or coders". Therefore the article is really about "software guys".

I would go as far to say "software guys" usually know very little about the hardware. If something goes wrong with their systems they need "us" i.e. the hardware guys to fix it for them.

Most software guys have not earned the title techie; becoming a techie would represent an upgrade for a software loser...

Yet a downgrade in pay :p

I think a better way to interpret his explanation is:

"Hi I'm a pretentious a-hole. Because you don't 'respect my culture' I am morally superior to you, you lowly worm."

Then again I'm pretty sure he and his buddies aren't really hackers. When he can create and maintain artificial people in a government database for a couple of years he can call me back.

I wonder if TechieSooner is going to sit there and take that insult.

get%20off%20my%20lawn.jpg

This is the same shit where devs want to make themselves sound more important. "Techie" does not have a negative connotation, these guys are just trying to change lingo.

Pretty much. Analyst is another good example. I know a guy that descries himself as a DevOPS code analyst.

Me: "Oh, a Software Dev., cool."

Him: "NO! DevOPS Code Analyst!!!!"

If someone called me a "hacker" I'd probably stab them in the eye. Nine times out of ten people just refer to us as Tech's...

From the comments:

The preferred terms, he said, are "hackers," "makers" or "coders."

How about pretentious dooosh nozzle?

You're a techie...own it. Dooosh

That's just asinine. I'm a systems admin, not a "hacker," "maker," or "coder." I use the word "techie" for myself and others in IT, especially those dealing in hardware, all the time. Those California nuggets can just go away. We techies don't need them.

I think a better way to interpret his explanation is:

"Hi I'm a pretentious a-hole. Because you don't 'respect my culture' I am morally superior to you, you lowly worm."

Yep. Amazing how much of an epidemic that attitude has become.

I'm a techie. Never been a hacker. I have never taken techie as a derogatory term. I have heard people take exception to being called a hacker, however.

*sigh*

Of course its from San Francisco California, where people are always looking for new things to get offended at and start a movement over...

This many times over. I use the term "know-it-all-asshole" instead of words like techie, tech worker, IT guy, computer nerd.

This is what I think of when I hear the terms mentioned:

"Hacker" - know nothing script kiddie who steals from other people for his own wants falsely proclaiming it "against 'the man!'"

"Coder" - 1. software developer with superiority complex and delusions he never makes mistakes. 2. amateur coder with delusions his 16 line programs are going to change the world.

"Maker" - worm from Dune novel series

Back