Sony Has Sold 2.1M PS4s

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Official PlayStation blog has been updated with a post from Andrew House announcing the company has sold 2.1 million PS4s. The countdown to Microsoft's "rain on Sony's parade" announcement in 3...2....1.

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. PS4’s North American debut on November 15th was PlayStation’s largest ever, with more than one million gamers picking up a PS4 in just 24 hours. Now, with PS4’s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

Isn't that the way it works? Sony announces "1 million sold!" A week later Microsoft announces "Me too!" Sony announces "2 million sold!" one week later Microsoft will announce "Me too!" :D

pretty much, however, "initial release day" totals

ps4 ~2.1 million units
xbone 1 million units

the xbox 1 did a world wide release, the ps4 did staggered.

but the problem is while black friday more xbox 1's might have been sold, the ps4 sold twice as many overall in the month of november.

of course atm its ps4 gets shipped, ps4 gets sold- which is essentially what the xbox 1 is doing.

meanwhile the best games-non fps games-for any of the newest consoles- are on the wiiu-and even it has COD ,,,with free online, works pretty good.

The Official PlayStation blog has been updated with a post from Andrew House announcing the company has sold 2.1 million PS4s. The countdown to Microsoft's "rain on Sony's parade" announcement in 3...2....1.

Isn't that the way it works? Sony announces "1 million sold!" A week later Microsoft announces "Me too!" Sony announces "2 million sold!" one week later Microsoft will announce "Me too!" :D

Did you just respond to yourself?

Did you just respond to yourself?

;) I do that all the time. Add commentary to post I made.

pretty much, however, "initial release day" totals

ps4 ~2.1 million units
xbone 1 million units

the xbox 1 did a world wide release, the ps4 did staggered.

but the problem is while black friday more xbox 1's might have been sold, the ps4 sold twice as many overall in the month of november.

of course atm its ps4 gets shipped, ps4 gets sold- which is essentially what the xbox 1 is doing.

meanwhile the best games-non fps games-for any of the newest consoles- are on the wiiu-and even it has COD ,,,with free online, works pretty good.

I've read that twice and I have no idea what you are trying to say. :confused:

PS4 launched one week before the Xbox One. Sony announced 1M sales....one week later....Microsoft announced 1M sales. Sony just announced 2M sales....guess what's going to happen next....that's right....Microsoft will announce 2M sales. And so on and so forth.

I keep emotion out of it. For me, it's all about the numbers. I could care less about software title exclusivity from one console to the next. As far as that goes, you win some you lose some.

Microsoft can mislead their audience all they want. We all know they are in damage control right now.

Oh, here are the numbers if you were curious as to what I was talking about.

"Where the big differences come in are graphics and memory subsystems. PS4 and Xbox One actually use identical graphics architectures, known as AMD's GCN technology. But here's the thing. The Xbox One has 768 GCN graphics cores. The PS4 has 1,152. The two consoles run at similar clockspeeds, so right from the get go, the PS4 has 50 per cent more raw shader power.

Then there's memory bandwith. The PS4 packs 8GB of GDDR5 running at 5.5GHz data rate and thus packs 176GB/s of bandwidth. The Xbox One? 8GB of DDR3 at 2.13GHz and thus just 68.33GB/s"

There is a reason why the Xbox One is called the "Xboned" or "Xbox 720p" as where, to date, the PS4 still does not and probably will never have a negative word play type name.

Oh and there are already some very interesting editorials out here, dev blogs that are saying, with the PS4 having 50% more power actually might be a bad thing for Sony in regards to 3rd party titles. They are saying in order to maintain continuity between a companies titles from one console to the next, the features, textures, frame rate might be held back on the PS4.

Just in from Microsoft: "We sold (PS4 sales)+1 Xbox One consoles! Take that Sony!"

:p

What i meant for the numbers

ps4 released in US and Canada only- sold a million units
week later- Xbox 1 released worldwide- well 13ish markets- sold a million units
week later ps4 releases world wide- except japan i believe- sold a 1.1 million units.
same week black friday- xbox 1 sells more (at target and walmart) units than ps4- MS touts that.

except for black friday numbers- intial release figures- DAY 1 figures

the ps4 outsold the xbox one - two to one- 2.1 million ps4's to 1 million xbox ones.

current sales situation. store gets ps4's in, they all are either sold to preorders or waiting lists
store gets xbox 1 in....they are pretty much all sold to preorders or waiting lists...

whomever can ship- to the US more units by xmas will "win" this christmas, currently the xbox is behind by over 250 thousand units (US only) (my guess only- 250k xbox ones in britain- alone- means less than 750k units sold day one in the US for xbox 1.

There are still people waiting for both consoles, so whichever ships more, sells more...

Here's the thing, who cares which console is better or sells more (besides the companies and shareholders)? The Xbox 360 sold better then the PS3, but how did that affect the individual users of the PS3 or 360? I don't recall hearing any developer abandoning the PS3 for the 360 or vice versa, and I highly doubt that will happen this generation either. Microsoft has enough money that they can always pay developers to continue to develop for the Xbox, assuming the user base can't support it. However, I don't think that will be nessecary as even if the Xbox fails in comparison to the PS4, enough people will still buy it for the other features, brand loyalty, or for the exclusives. I personally bought a Xbox One because I don't game as much as I used to, I like their exclusives better and the all in one media device fits better with my needs. I have no doubt that Microsoft will continue to support the Xbox, and I highly doubt any 3rd party developer will abandon the platform (especially since it is so similar in architecture to the PS4, the added cost to port it can't be too much).

To sum up, buy what you want, enjoy, and screw what everyone else does or thinks.

Here's the thing, who cares which console is better or sells more (besides the companies and shareholders)? The Xbox 360 sold better then the PS3, but how did that affect the individual users of the PS3 or 360? I don't recall hearing any developer abandoning the PS3 for the 360 or vice versa, and I highly doubt that will happen this generation either. Microsoft has enough money that they can always pay developers to continue to develop for the Xbox, assuming the user base can't support it. However, I don't think that will be nessecary as even if the Xbox fails in comparison to the PS4, enough people will still buy it for the other features, brand loyalty, or for the exclusives. I personally bought a Xbox One because I don't game as much as I used to, I like their exclusives better and the all in one media device fits better with my needs. I have no doubt that Microsoft will continue to support the Xbox, and I highly doubt any 3rd party developer will abandon the platform (especially since it is so similar in architecture to the PS4, the added cost to port it can't be too much).

To sum up, buy what you want, enjoy, and screw what everyone else does or thinks.

True. The Sony shareholders should be breathing a sigh of relief as the PS4 being profitable is the only thing keeping that company alive.

Initial sales numbers really mean fuck all in the grand scheme of things. Both companies will be making money and that is really that really matters.

2.1 million consoles sold and not a single even remotely decent game in sight.

This is why we mock console gamers, this shit right here.

Oh and there are already some very interesting editorials out here, dev blogs that are saying, with the PS4 having 50% more power actually might be a bad thing for Sony in regards to 3rd party titles. They are saying in order to maintain continuity between a companies titles from one console to the next, the features, textures, frame rate might be held back on the PS4.

Two totally off topic posts in a row. You are on a roll.

I was wondering what excuses people would come up with for all the "50% MOAR POWAR" claims once the two consoles came out. :(

So you are saying the reason games like CoD: Ghost have worse frame rates on the PS4 versus the Xbox One is because developers were held back by the Xbox One? Even after the patch gameplay is better on the Xbox One? Do you even have either of the new consoles?

Anyhow, PM me your response so we can keep this thread ON TOPIC PLEASE. Thanks.

-Steve

In the end I fully expect Microsoft to release a "enhanced" XBONE with some kind of gimmick, increased clock speed or somesuch tweak and will blur the performance difference if and that is IF the performance differential proves to be problematic for sales.

Sony is clearly dominating for now but damn it is early in the race. When I talk to people who game I can clearly see that Sony gained gamers in the initial hype-war.

Hey it is good for everybody. Fight on.

Microsoft could double Sony's sales and it would still be great news for Sony. The Xbox 360 beat the shit out of them in numbers. Win or lose, Sony is doing amazing this round, comparatively.

I thought the gaming platforms of old were dead? Isn't some professional asshat always blabbering that shit in interviews?:rolleyes:

I don't think it is pointless, one thing we have learned in recent history is that day 1 and early sales are HIGHLY indicative of success. If the PS4 outsells the Xbone, it doesn't matter the reason it may be just the catalyst to allow SONY to take the PS series back to its former glory of destroying all the competition. PS1 and PS2 ridiculed their opponents in sales. I am not saying anything about the actual merit of either system, that is the funny thing now days people have already decided to buy a product before they actually have a chance to get any real feedback it is as stupid as the millions of preorders for games now days. How can one make a good quality / usability judgment on a product when most of its success is determined by its launch? The only good thing about the Xbone is the Kinect and some how they managed to screw up the publicity on that and it turns out to be viewed as a negative by many.

In the end I fully expect Microsoft to release a "enhanced" XBONE with some kind of gimmick, increased clock speed or somesuch tweak and will blur the performance difference if and that is IF the performance differential proves to be problematic for sales.

Sony is clearly dominating for now but damn it is early in the race. When I talk to people who game I can clearly see that Sony gained gamers in the initial hype-war.

I don't know there is a lot of historical evidence that this is a bad idea. The far more reasonable and easy decision would simply be for MS to drop the price on the xbone to the same level or lower than the PS4 and force SONY to respond.

that's so fucking sad.

Karl Marx is weeping.

richard_marx-300x200.jpg

(yes, I know)

2.1 million consoles sold and not a single even remotely decent game in sight.

This is why we mock console gamers, this shit right here.
How about those hot new video cards bought by people gaming on a 1080p monitor where they won't experience a significant difference anyway?

Everybody's got their hobbies. Crapping on them says more about you than it does them.

i think for the population (however big or small it is) that prefer to play online multiplayer games, it makes significant difference which one sells better. let's just say that the percentage of owners that play online multiplayer games are identical on both systems. the system that sells the most would then have a larger online multiplayer population, which i would think is a good thing in those people's eyes

Microsoft could double Sony's sales and it would still be great news for Sony. The Xbox 360 beat the shit out of them in numbers. Win or lose, Sony is doing amazing this round, comparatively.

I thought the gaming platforms of old were dead? Isn't some professional asshat always blabbering that shit in interviews?:rolleyes:

Actually in the end Sony caught up and the Xbox 360 and PS3 are about even on numbers. Both have about 80 million.

I have been posting waaayy too much console news lately BUT, in my defense, this shit is hilarious and we only get to witness the fanboy fighting once every 5 - 7 years.

That said, let's lay down some facts shall we?

A.) PS4 has been out two and a half weeks
Xbox One has been out one and a half weeks
Both are selling "record" numbers
Nobody is "dominating" anyone.

B.) Sony has the "advantage" of launching a week early. Microsoft has the "advantage" of being able to come right behind Sony's announcements with "Me too!" announcements.

C.) Xbox fans are buying the Xbox One
PlayStation fans are buying the PS4

D.) Xbox fans dispute everything PS4 owners say
PS4 owners dispute everything Xbox owners say
Both look like idiots arguing every time one of these threads are posted.

E.) It will all be over soon. After the new year, no one will give a crap anymore. The only "big" console news will be if they start spontaneously catching fire or killing people.

P.S. if I never hear Xbone or PSWhore again it will be too soon.

No, the rumor is always 'Latops... will be the end of PCs' 'Cellphones....will be the end of PC' 'Tablets...will be the end of PC.' 'Newest generation consoles... will be the end of PCs.'. It's always about what's going to kill the PC next. By this time, I'm pretty sure the PC must be a zombie that's come back to life 5-6 times.

I have been posting waaayy too much console news lately BUT, in my defense, this shit is hilarious and we only get to witness the fanboy fighting once every 5 - 7 years.

B.) Sony has the "advantage" of launching a week early. Microsoft has the "advantage" of being able to come right behind Sony's announcements with "Me too!" announcements.

E.) It will all be over soon. After the new year, no one will give a crap anymore. The only "big" console news will be if they start spontaneously catching fire or killing people.

fully agree

Pretty much but i did get a Xbox one :)

The performance difference is large enough to hurt sales among the most informed consumers, but the real killer for them is the price difference and that is an area where they're likely to lag all gen unless they're willing to drop Kinect or take large losses on hardware.

Both of those seem unlikely with them having designed the whole thing around Kinect and large investors already wanting them to ditch Xbox.

PS4 should be less expensive to produce today even without the Kinect and between the smaller die they're using and GDDR5 still dropping in price (DDR3 is due to rise in price within the next few years as DDR4 becomes more common) their BoM is likely to remain lower.

If you're not wanting people to discuss things then I'm not sure why you're posting about them Steve.

A) In the U.S. This article is discussing world-wide sales and by that measure the Xbox One has had a week more worth of sales in the EU.

B) I wouldn't describe the ability to give me-too announcements as a real advantage, but even ignoring that see A.

C) In the initial launch window the sales ratios for each would appear to suggest that there are either considerably more PS4 fans who buy their consoles early, or that there has been a large shift in brand preference so far this generation.

D) Fanboys will fanboy, not sure why this one is even there.

E) There are numerous reports of the PS4 being back-ordered past New Years, so this remains to be seen. Some are calling for a PS2-type sales clobbering, I'd say it's awfully premature for that sort of prediction but indications prior to and thus far up through launch are that PS4 has greater demand currently.

If you're not wanting people to discuss things then I'm not sure why you're posting about them Steve.

A) In the U.S. This article is discussing world-wide sales and by that measure the Xbox One has had a week more worth of sales in the EU.

B) I wouldn't describe the ability to give me-too announcements as a real advantage, but even ignoring that see A.

C) In the initial launch window the sales ratios for each would appear to suggest that there are either considerably more PS4 fans who buy their consoles early, or that there has been a large shift in brand preference so far this generation.

D) Fanboys will fanboy, not sure why this one is even there.

E) There are numerous reports of the PS4 being back-ordered past New Years, so this remains to be seen. Some are calling for a PS2-type sales clobbering, I'd say it's awfully premature for that sort of prediction but indications prior to and thus far up through launch are that PS4 has greater demand currently.

Discussing and being a fanboy are two different things. Discussing entitles actually making valid or semi valid statements and being willing to listen to the other person and have a real converstation. Being 100% unwilling to listen to anyone, accept anything that is semi negative about your system or holding onto your views no matter what while repeating the same thing over and over again isn't discussing.

Back