Amazon Announces Prime Air Drone Delivery

HardOCP News

[H] News
We're excited to share Prime Air — something the team has been working on in our next generation R&D lab. The goal of this new delivery system is to get packages into customers' hands in 30 minutes or less using unmanned aerial vehicles. Putting Prime Air into commercial use will take some number of years as we advance the technology and wait for the necessary FAA rules and regulations.

Those of you interested can watch the 60 Minutes episode here, where Jeff Bezos takes the wraps off Amazon Prime Air.

Wow I thought everyone was joking last night when I seen the comments about air drone delivery lol.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. While it's cool, it also seems a little over the top, and I can't wait to see how much this service will cost.

I remember seeing a pizza company (Dominos? Pizza Hut?) show a concept of this. However if any company can eventually pull it off, it would probably be Amazon.

I would really be interested in seeing how this logistics model evolves. Although I would assume this would be more practical for dense urban areas, due to the order volume, I can't imaging how they would actually deliver like this to apartment/dense urban housing. So would it then be used for rural delivery, like the video shows? Due to actual yards/not as much delivery force?

Regardless, I'm sure the parcel companies like FedEx, UPS, USPS aren't too happy if this does eventually succeed...as other companies would probably follow suit.

Great idea, unless there is even a small amount of wind.

Eh, I'm sure modern technology is more than capable of dealing with wind.

I'm curious to see how the package is actually unloaded off the drone. Is it dropped? Lowered via cable? Does it land on your front porch? What if the propeller hits and kills your cat/dog/wife/children/neighbor's kids?

I'm curious to see how the package is actually unloaded off the drone. Is it dropped? Lowered via cable? Does it land on your front porch? What if the propeller hits and kills your cat/dog/wife/children/neighbor's kids?

Watch the vid. :p

interesting idea with loads of challenges legally and non.

- Im aware Amazon has large shipping costs but whats the comparisons to having hundreds of mosquitos that will all require FAA tags. Also now plastic weatherproof containers.
- Exposed rotors would cause an issue with insurance and what not. power lines, trees, people, etc.
- GPS is good and all, how does it determine its landing zone?
- Theft is already bad with current shipping companies, what will this be like as you can blatantly see and hear your package on its way.

Don't want to tear down the new idea, just curious as to how they are addressing the obstacles. No matter how far out this is, UPS, FEDEX and USPS have to be nervous at least a little bit.

Holy crap that would be expensive! But if there is one thing I've learned it is that there are evidently a LOT of people have just WAY too much money burning a hole in their pocket and would pay for this without blinking an eye.

As for me, I find money as still being to precious of a commodity to throw it around that wastefully.

I COULD see a 3rd party doing this though, like a freight company (FedEx-like). I imagine there are lots of very time sensitive packages that could benefit from this. Industrial parts to get down machinery up and running, legal documents, etc etc.

worm

Lol, wonder how many of these are gonna get shot down . Guess it's time to buy up air space.

Our front office is behind two large front doors at the front of the building. How does it open the doors?

It won't, but with an alleged 30-minute delivery window, I think there's the expectation of the recipient being present.

I wonder which state's citizens will be the first to shoot one down?

I got money on Alabama or Texas.

Alabama shouldn't even need to be explained why. If you have ever had to drive through, you understand most of the stereotypes are pretty true. If you ever had to work tech desk support for a company that covered Alabama you are scared of those people. :eek:

Texas, well Because they can.

Colorado does have the law, but meh I don't see it happening first.

Great. How the fuck does it get into my apartment building?

I am going to "Guess" that this will be limited to houses only and places they can verify the drone can easily get in and out safely.

I wonder if this thing can deliver a Lcd panel that would be awesome =) oops it drops it dead pixels everywhere. This is pretty amazing they have the funds to do something like this...

I wonder if this thing can deliver a Lcd panel that would be awesome =) oops it drops it dead pixels everywhere. This is pretty amazing they have the funds to do something like this...

Think I heard there is a 5lb limit and also a size limit so no for the tv

So now if you shoot a drone down with a BB gun you get a free package.. I hope they don't fly over my neighbors kids house.

WatchTFVideo. It's not even that long and you have the added benefit of not hurting yourself by trying to read an article.

I think they really need to add a speaker to each drone so they can blast "Flight of the Valkyries" where ever they go.

I'm waiting on the Android game DRONE HUNTER to come out.

Shoot down the drones and score Amazon loot! :)

Omg. If this could drop packages on my upstairs deck, I would love it!

weird i believe i saw something like this before, it never got in place though. Also most likely it will get shot down by random ppl.

a. order something for 1$
b. ship it same day for 10$
c. steal drone and sell it for 5000$
or option d:
d. load it with turds and send it back when your item finally arrives.

I think they really need to add a speaker to each drone so they can blast "Flight of the Valkyries" where ever they go.

This and they need to buy the only thing from AOL that amuses me. When it lands and drops the package it blasts "You've got mail!".

I would laugh so hard...never order anything via the service but laugh so hard.

And here I thought the cod carepackages were made up. Looks like Activision has been training kids for this day.

I thought they were joking...but I guess not...I see a few problems.
Drone collisions.
Stolen Drones.
Drones getting shot at or items thrown at them....they are not exactly quiet.
Drones GPS being over ridden...stolen packages.
Cars damaged from dropped items.
Can you imagine a condo complex with 25+ drones making a delivery?

I just have this vision of drones departing the Amazon Warehouse with Ride of the Valkyries playing in the background ... I love the smell of logistics in the morning :p

I find it hilarious how many people keep posting the potential logistical issues with this. We're talking about Amazon here, not some crappy startup. I'm sure they've considered all of these no-brainer questions.

The collegehumor site ( http://www.collegehumor.com/picture/6941631/amazon-drone-delivery-doesnt-make-it ) had a funny picture on this :D

4f2c5fa4d6b12feafc52e8b9b5f7497b-amazon-drone-delivery-doesnt-make-it.jpg

Maybe it will be like Thunderbirds, where the big flying drone lands, and drops off a land based delivery drone, and for the international deliveries, they will use a rocket drone...Just kidding, about the rocket drone part anyway.

I'm sure Amazon had thought of all the glaring issues with this. So I think it would be interesting to see how they work around these problems

Sounds good. Every single concern mentioned in this thread would obviously have occurred to them and will have an answer in place before this ever became operational, so no worries there. I think it would be shocking if 5-10 years from now, basically everything (that isn't enormous), would be delivered in this method. If shipping companies are not investing in this technology already, they will look like the companies that didn't take mp3's seriously.

So what you are saying is, that for $50.00 Prime Air shipping, I can get my package and a free drone with my butterfly net! :D

It's cute but I don't think it will be a reality any time soon. All the obvious issues but the most glaring issue.... the "NIMBY" crowd.

Back