Linux Worm Targeting Hidden Devices

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now would probably be a good time to update your router and change that default password. ;)

Symantec has discovered a new Linux worm that appears to be engineered to target the “Internet of things”. The worm is capable of attacking a range of small, Internet-enabled devices in addition to traditional computers. Variants exist for chip architectures usually found in devices such as home routers, set-top boxes and security cameras. Although no attacks against these devices have been found in the wild, many users may not realize they are at risk, since they are unaware they own devices that run Linux.

This is why I insisted on Windows 8.1 for my home consumer-grade router. /derp

Fortunately the makers of routers, ip cameras , etc are always vigilant about updating their firmware to stay one step ahead.

and currently, the worm targets php-cgi vulnerabilities on intel x86 based devices.
Those running ARM or MIPS or other stuff (typical for home routers) should be safe for the time being.

that said, not using default passwords or trivial ones is always a good practice.
For my routers, I tend to set the root password to something ridonculous (https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm) like a 63-character string.

I think Symantec is asking for router makes to include their software onto the routers.

Fortunately the makers of routers, ip cameras , etc are always vigilant about updating their firmware to stay one step ahead.

Doesn't matter. How often do USERS install said upgrades? People know they should update their computers. But their routers, switches, blu-Ray players, microwaves (those probably run Linux and/or java by now ;) ) people don't upgrade as they don't know know they should

There is no malware for linux. /end thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Believe it or not, Ubuntu released a fix for this over a year ago. It won't effect you at all as long as you don't have PHP-cgi installed. So yea, this is strictly for out dated routers.

Does this mean I have to give up my Linus WRT54GS? The company doesn't even have the most recent update online anymore, and that was from 2008. :mad::rolleyes::cool:

Back