IRS Left Taxpayer Data Vulnerable To Attack

HardOCP News

[H] News
The bad news: The IRS left your data vulnerable to attack. The good news: After being worked over by the IRS, most people don't have anything left for the other crooks to steal.

The Internal Revenue Service failed to demonstrate that it fully addressed security weaknesses in recent years, potentially leaving sensitive taxpayer information vulnerable to attack, according to an auditor’s report. The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration found that the IRS had only partially implemented 42 percent of the corrective plans it checked off as completed in recent years.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about boycotting/refusing to pay the mafia.

"the IRS had only partially implemented 42 percent of the corrective plans it checked off as completed in recent years"

So what percentage of that 42% was actually implemented? 1-2%?

"60% of the time it works all the time" comes to mind.

After reading a bunch of the report it starts to become clear that most of this report has to do with the record keeping end of what did and didn't get fixed and that actually most of the time it looks like the actual IT level corrective actions were implemented. Of course, that paperwork at the end of the day is part of the process that is supposed to ensure the leg work was actually done so it comes back to did they really do it right. It also looks like that for whatever reason, many of the officials who were actually responsible for acknowledging the work was done never signed off and someone else signed off instead.

They're jacked up over there. Of course as I have some experience in this kind of stuff I also know that often vulnerabilities don't really have a fix and so the fix is to say that there is no fix, tadaaa :rolleyes:

Anonymous should go after the IRS. How come we never see any news reports of the IRS getting hax0red with information leak? The would be something if that happened.

So long as this was a paper trail accounting issue, as explained by the report, I couldn't care less. It says nothing about actual security vulnerabilities.

Who cares if they fix it or not? 90% of the database is all Republican's information anyways.

Anonymous should go after the IRS. How come we never see any news reports of the IRS getting hax0red with information leak? The would be something if that happened.

I seen enough stupid shit from Anonymous but even they aren't stupid enough to go after the IRS knowing that if they get found the IRS will just come take all their shit and they won't be able to do shit about it.

Well, I say they aren't stupid enough .... "grabs bag of popcorn" ... I could be wrong :D

Hey Anonymous, you guys should go after those IRS jerks !

Good thing we don't have the government involved with our personal medical histories. D'oh.
Well, at least the IRS isn't involved. D'oh.

So I assume if any data were leaked and taxpayers information stolen, the government would do the right thing by informing us and compensating us for any damages?

... crickets ...

Yeah, I didn't think so.

The government doesn't care. Ever. It just doesn't. If they act like they do care it's a fake, and they have an ulterior motive. Typically that motive involves their own self preservation.

Back