Xbox One Teardown

Haha, we posted the same thing within 2 minutes of each other.

But, like I said in the Console Gaming forum: The hard drive is not proprietary.

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not offer an easy way to replace it without voiding the warranty and going past two components of the console and several Torx screws. :(

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not offer an easy way to replace it without voiding the warranty and going past two components of the console and several Torx screws. :(

For the past few years I'm finding warranty to be worthless. Though Microsoft should be ashamed that PS4 allows for hard drive upgrades while their machine requires a computer science degree and voiding of warranty.

But yea warranty is pretty stupid. Most companies offer only a 1 year warranty which I think is criminal. Products either work straight from the start or don't, and only fail afterwards between 4-5 years of use. At which point the RROD was caused by cheap shit solder that they don't even sell at RadioShack.

For the past few years I'm finding warranty to be worthless. Though Microsoft should be ashamed that PS4 allows for hard drive upgrades while their machine requires a computer science degree and voiding of warranty.

But yea warranty is pretty stupid. Most companies offer only a 1 year warranty which I think is criminal. Products either work straight from the start or don't, and only fail afterwards between 4-5 years of use. At which point the RROD was caused by cheap shit solder that they don't even sell at RadioShack.

Considering the XBox One is supposed to support USB storage id say its a non issue. a USB 3.0 3.5" drive dollar/GB is cheaper than 2.5" drives anways

What I would like to know is if the drive is only used for storage or is the OS stored on the drive. Otherwise replacing it would render it a brick.

I already see a terrible design flaw. The fan grill is internal. Over time that grill is going to get a blanket of dust over it.

I already see a terrible design flaw. The fan grill is internal. Over time that grill is going to get a blanket of dust over it.

We are talking about consoles here. No logic is allowed in the design process! :p

Fan blows out, not in, so it isn't so bad. The vents into console need to be cleaned more than the fan grill. Canned air works great.

The cooling on the PS4 is far more worrisome when it comes to dust / heat. Same amount of stuff packed into a waaay smaller area.

Both are cool to the touch when operating though (so far).

So Sony brings out one of its head engineers and shows us everything. MS lets a third party do it......

Fan blows out, not in, so it isn't so bad. The vents into console need to be cleaned more than the fan grill. Canned air works great.

The cooling on the PS4 is far more worrisome when it comes to dust / heat. Same amount of stuff packed into a waaay smaller area.

Both are cool to the touch when operating though (so far).

If you think the PS4 is "cool to the touch" after playing it, then your definition of "cool" is way different than mine is.

The Xbox One comes with toilet paper?

Yeah... I didn't get that either, were they saying the Xbox One was a piece of shit? I know they said it was the degree to which all toilet paper companies need to listen, but uhhh yeah staying up too late to write an online review is my bet sometimes you get a bit punchy.

I'd say:

Size: Sony Wins
Aesthetics: MS Wins
Common-Sense: Sony Wins (the hard-drive being inside the Xbox One is just silly, it's a user serviceable part and only serves to feed repair-center profits if you don't want to void a warranty).

My guess is that they figured the HD won't die within the 1 year warranty period.

My guess is that they figured the HD won't die within the 1 year warranty period.
Or they got tired of dealing with all the people using 3rd party drives in the Xbox 360.

I'm sure that caused them no end of support nightmares. Everything from "I can't see all the capacity I just added!" to "Original Xbox games wont play on my 360 (because I forgot to copy the emulator partition off my old drive)!"

Wonder if replacing it w a SSD will see any huge gains. I know not so much on the older consoles but games are being installed onto the hdd for current gens. W the 360, u could put a ssd as main drive and an external via usb for storage.

Am I looking at that right????

It has 3 SATA internal ports?

Nice.

No it's just two. The picture where they're holding the drive, the drive isn't plugged into any sata ports. What you're seeing is the two disconnected ports for the drive and optical drive. The end of that sata cable is next to a capacitor but not plugged into anything.

If you think the PS4 is "cool to the touch" after playing it, then your definition of "cool" is way different than mine is.

Should have been more clear when I said "while operating," I meant while just sitting there running.

The heat radiates through the PS4s paper thin plastic like crazy.

Wonder if you could clone that drives file system to something of a meatier size in the Hybrid drive department.

Didn't the XBox360 check the hard drive's firmware to make sure it was a Western Digital drive of a certain type before it would let you use it?

Didn't the XBox360 check the hard drive's firmware to make sure it was a Western Digital drive of a certain type before it would let you use it?

Even the original xbox had firmware key locking the hard drive... the optical drives where keylocked as well. I'll be very surprised if it's not the same here.

Amazing how very little space is wasted.
I kind of assumed that Xbone had more empty space inside, considering that it's significantly larger than PS4 while being outfitted with a similar hardware.

Did MS decide to use a bigger (but functionally equivalent) components?

There is a teardown of the Xbox One posted at iFixit today. Look at all the room inside that thing! I need to get cracking on an internal watercooling setup. :D

It looks pretty solid, and I think I can faithfully believe Microsoft when they claimed earlier that the XB1 has spare cooling capacity. I remember they mentioned that when they announced that they were upping the GPU and CPU clocks a tad bit from original specs.

Mine will arrive via UPS tomorrow, so I can't wait to unbox and fiddle with it.

I kind of assumed that Xbone had more empty space inside, considering that it's significantly larger than PS4 while being outfitted with a similar hardware.

PS4 put chips on both sides of the motherboard xbox1 is all on one side, not sure if it's a cooling consideration or a manufacturing cost consideration or what have you but that's where quite a bit of the space length is coming from. The height comes from ps4 uses a slim bluray drive meaning they can remove height but it also means that they squish their cooling down to accommodate for that. Microsoft because they used a standard blu-ray drive has height that they can't remove so they can beef up the cooling and other things, they probably could a fit a power supply in there but it seems like Microsoft was avoiding using too heavily custom designed parts.

A total design difference between ps4 and xboxone here.
Sony stayed with an integrated clam shell
Microsoft stayed with the box.
A nice surprise.

Haha, we posted the same thing within 2 minutes of each other.

But, like I said in the Console Gaming forum: The hard drive is not proprietary.

Wrong.

15 USC § 2302 (c)

Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

MS' design allowed them to use a standard hsf design. One that I wouldn't afraid of using either.

I'm impressed with this layout. I'm already contemplating buying one just to put it in a case!

Wrong.

15 USC § 2302 (c)

So, in simple English: Microsoft's warranty means bub-kiss to me and I can replace the hard drive without violating the warranty if going by the US code, Title 15, Section 2302.

... which means, Microsoft is actually violating the law! Hahaha! :D

Wow!
Did MS actually LEARN something from the 360 and properly cool the Xbone this time around?
I'm seeing copper and heat pipes on that cooler with a nice sized fan! Kind of wish they went with a more open design over the cooler though, and maybe a filter you could easily slip and and out to clean to keep extra dust out of the inside. Come to think of it... Why hasn't it been done before?
It looks like the hard drive was originally meant to slide in and out, then they threw the whole upgrade thing out the window.

So, in simple English: Microsoft's warranty means bub-kiss to me and I can replace the hard drive without violating the warranty if going by the US code, Title 15, Section 2302.

That is correct. They cannot void your warranty for aftermarket modifications or third-party service unless they can demonstrate that the modifications or service in question are responsible for the damage being made under the warranty claim. In other words, if, while replacing your hard drive, you break the connector, they are not obligated to replace the motherboard. On the other hand, if you replace the hard drive, and then later, the CPU cooling fan stops working, they cannot refuse to honor the warranty.

"Warranty void when removed" stickers are a lot like the warning signs on dump trucks that say not responsible for damage from flying rocks. Just as a dump truck driver is responsible for securing his or her load, a company is responsible for honoring the warranty and no signs can change that.

I would also caution you that if you want to go this route, you may have to prepare to fight. It is very unlikely that some low level phone jockey is going to care about things like warranty law. You may have to have a chat with their legal department and if that doesn't work, your only recourse is a lawsuit in federal court (of which, the cost of filing such an action would far exceed any compensation you might get, even if it was treble damages). You also have to watch out for binding arbitration clauses (although that can be tricky to do with physicals goods under the Uniform Commercial Code).

The reason why companies get away with violating this is because most people don't know about it and those that do often can't afford to fight it. The court systems are setup so that those who have the most money win rather than those who are in the right.

Back