Amazon Tells Lawmakers To Keep the Internet Open

HardOCP News

[H] News
I just don't understand. What part of "keep your damn hands off my internet" the government does not comprehend?

Speaking to members of a U.S. House of Representatives Judiciary Courts subcommittee, Amazon’s vice president for global public policy has urged that potential barriers to digital content delivery should be addressed in order to ensure the development of distribution platforms. Exorbitant statutory damage awards for copyright infringement could chill innovation, the executive warned, adding that the Internet should remain a non-discriminatory and open platform to maintain consumer choice.

*sigh*

Why does it take some big huge mega corporation with billions of dollars to do something before our politicians even listen? Meanwhile millions of voters say "keep your hands off the internet" and "meh you're not from my voting district go the fuck away"

McCoskey said:
That means finding ways of working together in good faith on voluntary solutions where everyone shares in the responsibility

thats rich.

*sigh*

Why does it take some big huge mega corporation with billions of dollars to do something before our politicians even listen? Meanwhile millions of voters say "keep your hands off the internet" and "meh you're not from my voting district go the fuck away"

Maybe it takes a big company because the government wanting to tax the living crap out of the Internet is bigger, huger, more mega, and has many, many billions more dollars at its disposal? (Democrats, mostly, who thrive by promising the taxpayers freebies while making them pay for them at the same time through ever-more/higher taxes and deficit spending they hope no one will notice--a racket worthy of RICO, imo.) Pick any company in the US and the US government is exponentially bigger, and unlike corporations, the government has the power to force you to pay taxes or buy insurance, whereas companies have no such power over consumers. [IE, you won't get notices in the mail from the IRS directing you to shop at Amazon "or else"...;)]

*sigh*

Amazon is one mega corporation lobbying against it in this case, but there are likely other economic mega powers constantly pushing for it, which is why it keeps rearing its ugly head.

Back