Introduction to Amazon WorkSpaces

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon WorkSpaces is a fully managed desktop computing service in the cloud. Amazon WorkSpaces allows customers to easily provision cloud-based desktops that allow end-users to access the documents, applications and resources they need with the device of their choice, including laptops, iPad, Kindle Fire, or Android tablets. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, customers can provision a high-quality desktop experience for any number of users at a cost that is highly competitive with traditional desktops and half the cost of most virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) solutions.

Hmm, I wonder to what extent they allow of customization to the operating system on the VDI, and if what operating systems they will be offering / if they will allow you to upload an ISO and use whatever license keys you specify, etcetera. That would be an interesting offering. 'We provide the virtual cloud-managed environment, you choose your OS, you provide licenses, hazah!' With this, they could use their existing tablet products and perhaps introduce a Chromebook themselves with the intent it would be used as a mobile gateway. I think this would suit the majority of consumers, but the problem is the price point (free, anyone, freee?????) and the need for constant broadband internet connectivity.

One of the hardest things for me to grasp with this is, if I don't want my corporate data stored on users devices (mentioned several times in the vid) what makes you think I'm ok storing it in some third-party cloud?

Hmm, I wonder to what extent they allow of customization to the operating system on the VDI, and if what operating systems they will be offering / if they will allow you to upload an ISO and use whatever license keys you specify, etcetera. That would be an interesting offering. 'We provide the virtual cloud-managed environment, you choose your OS, you provide licenses, hazah!' With this, they could use their existing tablet products and perhaps introduce a Chromebook themselves with the intent it would be used as a mobile gateway. I think this would suit the majority of consumers, but the problem is the price point (free, anyone, freee?????) and the need for constant broadband internet connectivity.

There are already options for these kinds of things. They haven't brought them mainstream yet but they have several offerings to government and private corporations through their AWS branch. You can check out some of the stuff they offer there. Most of their stuff is web based applications and storage. But they have their own OS based off Linux that they use and their own DB structures. They also integrate their systems onto tablets and mobile platforms.

Back