Dell Faces Scrutiny for Alleged Labor Violations in China

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple isn’t the only company that is going through labor violations at factories in China. Dell and other companies are under investigation for basically the same type of violations at supplier factories as Apple earlier in the year.

Undercover footage was shot at the factories in China as part of a joint investigation, DanWatch and China Labor Watch said. At the factories, workers are allegedly living in cramped living conditions, and getting paid low monthly salaries of between $358 and $489.

I would rather Apple, Dell etc to have the factories located in the usa; however, atleast they are giving some people jobs.

everyone would who is in NA, but unless you want to pay more for the parts, it wont happen.

who cares... i work for the aerospace industry in the US and have worked 240 hours of OT in a month. leave them alone, they are making good money.

Why are American companies held responsible for the way the other companies run their business in China? Let them deal with it, its their damned country not the US.

All the big computer companies use the same Chinese factories.

Yeap... I never got this.

It's probably a hypocritical distaste for companies using other countries to bypass labour laws. We're perfectly OK with right wing governments over here busting unions for their campaign supporters but it's not OK if they screw somebody who isn't one of us.

Why are American companies held responsible for the way the other companies run their business in China? Let them deal with it, its their damned country not the US.

China Labor Watch is a very aggressive NGO ... most of the NGOs have figured out that the Chinese government has little interest in enforcing their own laws which makes it difficult for them to drive change directly with the local companies ... because of this they have found it easier to attack the big brands who support these companies in order to achieve their goals

Although I am on the fence on the overtime restrictions the NGOs are trying to impose (the Chinese law they are attempting to enforce is not viable as it allows less than 10 hours of overtime per week) their goals on making sure the companies provide reasonable living conditions for their workers and comply with international workplace safety regulations is more reasonable ... personally I would be happy if the international companies operating in China required time and a half for overtime (current China law only requires straight time) since that would provide more incentive for them to manage overtime a little better

Back