Microsoft Releases W8.1 Patch for Mouse Gaming Lag

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Gamers cries for a fix for lagging mouse movement while playing games in 8.1 has been heard by Microsoft. The patch addresses problems with 22 games variations and more if you are computer savvy.

The Microsoft Support website has launched a page with download links for the update that cover the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8.1, along with a download for Windows Server 2012 R2. Microsoft's support site says the patch fixes the problem.

This is what happens when you hard-code stupid assumptions into your application. One would think that Windows programmers would have learned from the whole aspect ratio thing back when widescreen displays became popular but I guess not.

There is no reason why a program shouldn't scale with DPI. It is not a problem in the GNU/Linux world because we did not make the idiotic assumption that the user would always be running at 96 DPI. 96 DPI is not a standard and should not be assumed as such; the DPI is supposed to reflect the number of actual dots per inch of your display; setting it to something other that makes it difficult for programs to make accurate measurements (e.g. the only way to know if a given line is one inch on the screen is to know how many pixels there are in an inch) and necessitates kludgey workarounds such as the mouse scaling that is causing so many issues.

Welcome to the norm for modern day software systems. Where they assume you want your DSLR to be stuck on green "auto" mode... because we know better!

This is what happens when you hard-code stupid assumptions into your application. One would think that Windows programmers would have learned from the whole aspect ratio thing back when widescreen displays became popular but I guess not.

There is no reason why a program shouldn't scale with DPI. It is not a problem in the GNU/Linux world because we did not make the idiotic assumption that the user would always be running at 96 DPI. 96 DPI is not a standard and should not be assumed as such; the DPI is supposed to reflect the number of actual dots per inch of your display; setting it to something other that makes it difficult for programs to make accurate measurements (e.g. the only way to know if a given line is one inch on the screen is to know how many pixels there are in an inch) and necessitates kludgey workarounds such as the mouse scaling that is causing so many issues.

Tell that to the massive anti MS crowd on the net. :rolleyes:

Not being a coder or having anything other than limited self taught IT knowledge this really annoys me.
I don't care who is to "blame" but this sort of thing is just another reason to move away from pc gaming.
So I now I either have to stay with an older iteration of windows or learn how to edit the windows registry so I can play games properly.
I love the fast hardware cycles on the pc but this sort of thing just kills the experience.

Not being a coder or having anything other than limited self taught IT knowledge this really annoys me.
I don't care who is to "blame" but this sort of thing is just another reason to move away from pc gaming.
So I now I either have to stay with an older iteration of windows or learn how to edit the windows registry so I can play games properly.
I love the fast hardware cycles on the pc but this sort of thing just kills the experience.

Its a great reason to stay away from windows 8, not PC gaming.

So a mistake is going to get you to swear off PC gaming. Grow up. You must not remember having to do similar things when USB mice were new or when higher sampling mice were introduced. It's been dealt with, so move on.

So a mistake is going to get you to swear off PC gaming. Grow up. You must not remember having to do similar things when USB mice were new or when higher sampling mice were introduced. It's been dealt with, so move on.

Grow up....there's condescending of you...lol....and your reply sort of proves my point...yes I remember the previous mouse problem....and that is just it...the pc is a continuous stream of such problems from more major things like that and the more recent win 8 /mouse movement problems, to smaller scale problems like...well for instance just spend an evening wondering why I couldn't get Metro last light to launch on steam.....only to find that for some reason it won't launch when you have MSI afterburner running :-/ ....then had some problem with flashing red hazy bars in game which was mysteriously cured by a clean driver install and swapping around the sli'ed video cards....cured now but no idea what the problem was.

I've found memories of trying to make the audio work in the original Bioshock....thank god for the internet as I'd have never worked that one out myself....and had fun with Rage, spent some time configuring things so that the second sli card (which was redundant because the game didn't support multi gpu's) could be used to decompress the textures and reduce pop-in only to have a mandatory auto update that prevented the second card from doing that, not forgetting the only way to stop flicker was to run it in windowed mode ...the list can go on and on......in fact there is hardly a game release that doesn't cause major problems for some with certain hardware setups...people don't want to spend three days searching the net for solutions and fixes just to play a game that takes 10 hours to complete.

Perhaps with your condescending view you think that the entire console market is full of people that should grow up...or perhaps they are just lesser tech savvy individuals that have realized that for them pc gaming ain't worth the bother for the limited extra you get.

I'm looking forward to greater adoption of the steam OS....perhaps with that us lesser mortals can enjoy what the pc has to offer without the hassle.

Tell that to the massive anti MS crowd on the net. :rolleyes:

Forgetaboudit... If they knew anything at all they'd understand this issue. But honestly, Microsoft is solely to blame for the PR problems it's had this year--from Ballmer rushing 8.0 out of the door to Mitrick's xBone fiascoes (notice the plural there), there has been plenty of fodder to exacerbate the kind of lynch-mob sentiment you've noticed. My favorite blunder-quote from Mitrick: "Backwards compatible is backwards"....:D (Although the success of Windows is based on its backwards compatibility.) Then what happens? Mitrick flees to a dying company, and Ballmer sprints away to a board seat and now they're thinking an automobile executive can run this hugely successful software company?:confused:

I can't recall a year when Microsoft made as many stupendously public blunders. For a lot of people, the marketing prevarication around the xBone reveal was little more than a highly insulting slap in the face. Releasing Windows 8.0 as a touch-screen OS for non-touch desktops was another supreme blunder. It's quite a long list for 2013. Really can't blame the mob...this year. And I'm as far from being anti-Microsoft as it's possible to get.

This is why I keep telling the "Get Windows 8.1 for free" popup to shove it. Until I see this issue stop bubbling, I'm sticking with non-8.1 dressed to look like Windows 7.

Grow up....there's condescending of you...lol....and your reply sort of proves my point...yes I remember the previous mouse problem....and that is just it...the pc is a continuous stream of such problems from more major things like that and the more recent win 8 /mouse movement problems, to smaller scale problems like...well for instance just spend an evening wondering why I couldn't get Metro last light to launch on steam.....only to find that for some reason it won't launch when you have MSI afterburner running :-/ ....then had some problem with flashing red hazy bars in game which was mysteriously cured by a clean driver install and swapping around the sli'ed video cards....cured now but no idea what the problem was.

I've found memories of trying to make the audio work in the original Bioshock....thank god for the internet as I'd have never worked that one out myself....and had fun with Rage, spent some time configuring things so that the second sli card (which was redundant because the game didn't support multi gpu's) could be used to decompress the textures and reduce pop-in only to have a mandatory auto update that prevented the second card from doing that, not forgetting the only way to stop flicker was to run it in windowed mode ...the list can go on and on......in fact there is hardly a game release that doesn't cause major problems for some with certain hardware setups...people don't want to spend three days searching the net for solutions and fixes just to play a game that takes 10 hours to complete.

Perhaps with your condescending view you think that the entire console market is full of people that should grow up...or perhaps they are just lesser tech savvy individuals that have realized that for them pc gaming ain't worth the bother for the limited extra you get.

I'm looking forward to greater adoption of the steam OS....perhaps with that us lesser mortals can enjoy what the pc has to offer without the hassle.

So you just made a inflammatory sentence, about how this is why PC gaming sucks without reading that the problem was fixed, and then get upset when someone calls you out on it. When you take the time to write out a response properly like you just did then people will take it seriously. There's pros and cons to whatever side you choose and it's your fault for not doing the proper research.

So you just made a inflammatory sentence, about how this is why PC gaming sucks without reading that the problem was fixed, and then get upset when someone calls you out on it. When you take the time to write out a response properly like you just did then people will take it seriously. There's pros and cons to whatever side you choose and it's your fault for not doing the proper research.

Oh but I did know that a fix had been done already...at least for some games...and that a registry edit is required for others...whether that will solve all games affected in this way I don't know.....but again you skirt the real issue....how much research should joe public have to do to play a game? If I play one of those games and find problems should I really have to scour the internet in the hope of finding a fix and then possibly have to edit the registry to fix it?.....do you seriously think that is acceptable?...so fixed or not this IS a prime example of why pc gaming sucks...like it or not.

Lol@clueless posters who wouldn't understand how breaking a stable API is wrong even if they were trying to understand the issues here.

Back