Canonical in Trademark Dispute with Website

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It would seem Canonical is growing up in the corporate world and beginning to flex its corporate muscles to protect its own. Canonical has issued a cease and desist order against FixUbuntu.com for trademark infringement.

As you can see from our policy, to use the Ubuntu trademarks and Ubuntu word in a domain name would require approval from Canonical.

Good luck Canonical, The guy running that site works for and at the EFF. Sleeping Giant Warning.

I've been losing respect for Canonical a lot the last few years, this just made me lose the rest of it.

A first semester law student would know there isn't a case here. There really need to be massive fines and license suspensions for lawyers that do this kind of thing.

I've been losing respect for Canonical a lot the last few years, this just made me lose the rest of it.

A first semester law student would know there isn't a case here. There really need to be massive fines and license suspensions for lawyers that do this kind of thing.

I still like and use Ubuntu and appreciate the product the team puts together. It is that flaming imbecil Mark Shuttleworth who needs to have his stupid head smacked hard and brought back to reality.

Whats the best case scenario? Pyrrhic victory? Attacking a big site that provides free support for your OS doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'd think they need to expand on this.

Fix Facebook
Fix iTunes
Fix Twitter
Fix Windows
Fix Google
Fix Bing

etc.

Ubuntu isn't the problem with today's advernet.

I didn't even know about this and I use Ubuntu. Way to give that guy "free" exposure to us sheeple. Mission accomplished: I'm annoyed. :\

well he needed to pull the symbols (already done) but can still use the URL so we'll see how far Canonical wants to push the issue

Don't know how long it's been there, but there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the website noting that they are not officially affiliated with Ubuntu.

While Canonical may own the trademark to Ubuntu, there is simply WAY too much prior use of copyrighted names used in websites. Think of every single car forum on the planet (newcelia.org, ls1tech, Honda-tech, nissanforums, etc). The precedence would be way too over reaching.

Falls within fair use. There is no implied ownership or association. More importantly there is absolutely nothing being sold...in fact that may be the crux of the situation :)

Back