Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are GPU shopping, you might want to check out this review of the Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition at eTeknix today. Yes, that says "GHz Edition."

Well Gigabyte aren’t hanging around for that to happen and they are instead doing something a bit different by making a GTX 780 “GHz Edition”. Yes you heard that right, a GHz Edition – that notorious AMD phrase which AMD used on the HD 7970 GHz Edition and HD 7870 GHz Edition. Gigabyte’s interpretation of a GTX 780 “GHz Edition” is taking the GTX 780 GPU and overclocking it from the stock 863MHz on the core and 900MHz on the boost, to 1020MHz on the core and 1072MHz on the boost. That’s a whopping 19% overclock compared to a stock GTX 780!

So then all the rumors around here are true!
I wonder if it is a different revision of the core. In any case really nice too see, I doubt top end overclock would change much but at least this guarantees Titan level performance or close to it.
Too bad they didn't add even a small OC to the memory, though at that point it may begin to step on 780 Ti's toes.

A bit curious what they're going to price this card at, since they probably don't want to exceed the price of 290x by too much (if at all)... but they risk cannibalizing the "normal" 780's sales if they price it under $550.

Is there a GTX 780 out there that can't easily OC to 1Ghz? I don't get the marketing unless there is something else special about it that I'm missing. Half the cards being sold are already pre-overclocked that boost to > 1Ghz like my EVGA 780 SC does. I mean at least when AMD did it on the HD 7970 it made more sense given they didn't have the "Boosting" Nvidia had and they also upped the memory clocks.

Just seems kind of silly.

Makes me laugh people running different bios and then blaming galaxy. Ive only heard of the hof going up in smoke but still. Flash at own risk. Become so common people dont expect problems anymore.

Back