Teardown of the PlayStation 4

Beautiful. I want one.

No doubt the PS4 well have some amazing games. Sony is more about games and the gaming expeirence in my mind. With Microsoft, the experience is more commercial and less about gaming and more about "buy this content" at least in my opinion.

Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed. I just hope that it works half as nicely as it looks.

Beautiful. I want one.

No doubt the PS4 well have some amazing games. Sony is more about games and the gaming expeirence in my mind. With Microsoft, the experience is more commercial and less about gaming and more about "buy this content" at least in my opinion.

Plus most of their "exclusives" will be on PC too :)

LOL, it almost looks the same as a PS3 Slim teardown. I mean other than outer screws placement and the hard drive it would be the same.

Get ready to start replacing that TIM and add a external fans :p

It definitely looks nice and compact inside that box, but playstations have always had issues with heat. There are rumors floating around that the PS4 is having overheating issues also.

It definitely looks nice and compact inside that box, but playstations have always had issues with heat. There are rumors floating around that the PS4 is having overheating issues also.

I got a red ring of death xbox 360 that says sony isn't alone on overheating... I think both sides try to squeeze too much crap in the smallest box possible.

Yikes, I'm getting flashbacks from my multiple PS3 teardowns :eek:

This one looks a tab bit better though....

I wonder why they're passing CPU heat through the "shield plate" and not directly to a copper hot plate.

I wonder why they're passing CPU heat through the "shield plate" and not directly to a copper hot plate.

If you look at the shield plate, it looks like there is a cut out area for direct CPU / HSF contact. Kinda funny how the new cooler looks just like the old Xbox 360 cooler.

1135950972RZLrIMzkgy_1_15_l.jpg

I never had luck purchasing first generation of console. My PS2 slim on the other hand is still working today.

I think I'll wait for the PS4 slim

If you look at the shield plate, it looks like there is a cut out area for direct CPU / HSF contact. Kinda funny how the new cooler looks just like the old Xbox 360 cooler.

I spy cheap sheet metal, which doesn't look like aluminum but should be. Dell uses heatsinks like these too and they're junk.

My PS3 Fat 40GB edition is still working and never had any issues with it lol, but im getting a Xbox one and my bro is buying the Ps4

Awesome video, thanks for sharing.
That rumor has been debunked multiple times.

Copper and aluminum have different thermal properties regarding heat conductivity and radiation. Aluminum supposedly radiates heat better than copper, but copper conducts heat better.

The PS4 heat plate and heat sink may be aluminum, designed to radiate the heat off, but has copper heat pipes to conduct/transfer heat between the heat plate and heat sink.

Pretty simplified design, actually. So easy a bunch of asian children will be building them for you.

That's really well designed, I'm extremely impressed with how user serviceable it is. I wouldn't be worried about that thing over heating, the APU, that thing couldn't have a TDP more than 180W considering what it's made of. That blower style cooler looks like it has more than enough cooling capacity.

Too bad he doesn't show you the mistake he had putting it together. Somehow it ended up looking like this.

h486.jpg

Copper and aluminum have different thermal properties regarding heat conductivity and radiation. Aluminum supposedly radiates heat better than copper, but copper conducts heat better.
It only radiates better because it holds onto more of the heat as a result it's hotter it's naturally going to radiate more. IIRC copper is nearly twice the thermal conductivity of aluminum.

Most consoles that I've seen have "overheating problems" are where the owners decided that shoving it in a small entertainment cabinet with near zero airflow was a good idea. A gaming console is not a Blu-ray player or a roku.

One thing I noticed and really have to commend Sony for is that they allow you to upgrade your HDD with any HDD you want to install if you decide to upgrade.

Compared to Microsoft who forced you to buy their HDD upgrades that only fit on the 360.

I wonder if they made any changes to the Xbox One to accommodate commercially available HDD's?

One thing I noticed and really have to commend Sony for is that they allow you to upgrade your HDD with any HDD you want to install if you decide to upgrade.

Compared to Microsoft who forced you to buy their HDD upgrades that only fit on the 360.

I wonder if they made any changes to the Xbox One to accommodate commercially available HDD's?

No, the HDD in the Xbone is not user replaceable.

Well I have to commend Sony for officially putting out a video so in-depth like that. It's not often that ANY company will show you how to completely disassemble their product.

The design is also incredibly simplistic, which is great. Less components means less power and heat and less chance of failure. That motherboard has less components on it then some 8 and 16-bit systems I've seen. It really shows how well technology has shrunk down and consolidated systems.

Too bad they didn't opt for a solid state drive. 500GB seems pretty absurd to a casual gamer like me, but then again I already have a media system. I'd prefer the load times (hopefully) of an SSD over the capacity of a platter.

The PS4 heat plate and heat sink may be aluminum, designed to radiate the heat off, but has copper heat pipes to conduct/transfer heat between the heat plate and heat sink.

This is actually false :) Copper is better at radiating and conducting heat when compared to aluminum. It will pull more heat off and move it faster due to its density. Always.

Now, aluminum being light and less dense means its easier to machine, it has more volume per given unit of weight so it's super possible that a 1lb aluminum heat sink will perform better than a 1lb copper heat sink simply due to volume and surface area differences.

Also, the aluminum plate will get less warm than a copper one would, since its absorbing less heat. This is better for the other parts of the console.

Cool video. 8gb of shared gddr5 sounds pretty awesome for a console as opposed to 256mb ddr and 256 gddr3 (ps3). I bet this would fold wonderfully.

Too bad they didn't opt for a solid state drive. 500GB seems pretty absurd to a casual gamer like me, but then again I already have a media system. I'd prefer the load times (hopefully) of an SSD over the capacity of a platter.

This would be why they have 500gb HDDs (Notice the minimum space required) This is the copy of Killzone Shadow fall I still can't play for 7 days.

k82ScWP.jpg

Looks like a motherboard from 1995.

Hardly. But yeah, for being next gen , it certainly doesn't appear that way on the outside. I was hoping that both Sony and Microsoft would have put SSD drives in these machines, that being said , does anyone know the spec rating on the Hard Drives they have? I am assuming they are probably 7200rpm 32meg cache......

5400RPM, dont know the cache. I dont know why they really need more though. 5400RPM is enough to cache the 720P video recording they do (thats probably around 1mb/sec).

It's a nice teardown, what type of capacitors are those? All this thing needs is a black PCB and that fan looks custom, thanks Christ it's not like the normal AMD fans used on reference cards.

Look at all those crappy capacitors to blow!

Looks like a motherboard from 1995.

Nice FUD. The capacitors are fine if they are rated correctly. The only reason to use ceramics is if there is a technical reason to use ceramics. Sometimes you just need bulk that has low ripple requirements; ceramic is foolish choice in that case.

Keep on believing the marketing folks. They are definitely the top echelon of intelligence in the electronics community.

Back